Alien continuity gone wrong?

Started by mastermoon, Feb 29, 2012, 03:56:05 AM

Author
Alien continuity gone wrong? (Read 21,614 times)

SM

SM

Nah, I'm a bit on the outer, so there might be a gulf in my knowledge.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

subtle. I like it.  :laugh:

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2012, 11:17:38 PM
Nah, I'm a bit on the outer, so there might be a gulf in my knowledge.
That reminds me, what's your signature from? I mean I take it it's a play on Morse's 'The Dragon', right?

SM

SM

Made it up, in a rare fit of inspiration.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Still pretty neat. :)

SM

SM

The neatness is derived from the Christian symbolism of the number 8.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

If anybody would know this, you guys would.

Has there been an attempt at cataloging a list of every canon inconsistency in the Alien, Predator, and AvP Universe?

That would be a fun project that I will undertake shortly if it hasn't already been covered.

AvPG's fan canon "big deletion." ;)  I had forgotten about that until you said it, SM, that was floating around during Alien 3 production, right?  When they still had Wards' script?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Depends on how strictly you want to define "inconsistency", and if you're willing to acknowledge later fixes to those inconsistencies (be they fan-made fixes or official ones). If you go at it with a really fine-toothed comb, you can find inconsistencies within the individual movies themselves.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Well sure, every movie has loads of flaws and internal inconsistencies, but I'm talking about deal-breakers, especially with the series plot itself.

Alien life cycle is a constant nerf, just all over the place thanks to AvP.  I suppose I'll find the bulk of glaring canon offenses from AvP onwards, and the EU is going to be a chore with things like the Earth War, Queen Mother, Yautja, etc...  I mean I definitely won't ignore things from Alien3 and Resurrection, but even those movies had errors within the normal level of movie gaffs.  They seemed almost unintentional, and poor Alien 3 had such a hell of a time in production, I think we should be glad with the movie we got.

Plus a lot of Res is explained away by genetic tampering.  Kind of nice, if you think about it, just a freak one-time occurrence. 

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The thing is a whole lot of the "errors" people complain about with the EU can be explained with similar, simple things as well.

The "Yautja" concept has never been a problem, and when you say "AvP" do you mean the movies or the comics or what? 'AvP' (the movie) sped up the Alien's life cycle, but that's easily addressed too.

Also it depends on how you define "deal-breaker". Things that might be a deal-breaker for you might not be for someone else. It's pretty subjective. To date I haven't found anything that was a deal-breaker for me, or that I couldn't find a way to work around somehow.

SM

SM

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 07, 2012, 05:25:46 PM
If anybody would know this, you guys would.

Has there been an attempt at cataloging a list of every canon inconsistency in the Alien, Predator, and AvP Universe?

That would be a fun project that I will undertake shortly if it hasn't already been covered.

AvPG's fan canon "big deletion." ;)  I had forgotten about that until you said it, SM, that was floating around during Alien 3 production, right?  When they still had Wards' script?

Yeah the Ward/ Fasano script talks about a New Dark Age that was threatening (but turns out was bullshit).  'The Big Deletion' was a crappy attempt by Dark Horse to explain away the continuity errors created by Alien Resurrection negating every Alien comic set between 2179 and 2381.  People simply forgot that Earth was over-run by Aliens.  Despite all the info regarding the Ripley and the Aliens surviving The Big Deletion.

As for the other thing, I'm working on something at the moment that will touch on the multitude of EU inconsistencies, albeit indirectly.  One that springs to mind so far is Newt saying to Hicks in Book 2 that she thought gravity drives make hypersleep obsolete.  Yet in stories set long after, hypersleep is still used (to say nothing of Resurrection still having hypersleep centuries later).

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 07, 2012, 07:40:43 PM
Plus a lot of Res is explained away by genetic tampering.  Kind of nice, if you think about it, just a freak one-time occurrence.

Actually, the novelization of the movie refers to an EU aspect of Alien biology when the host often gets Alien DNA after impregnation; the reason most people don't realize this is because the host usually dies long before they get to experience the physical effects of their DNA alterations.

mastermoon

mastermoon

Some Alien fans were crazy enough to even try to connect Terminator to Alien just because Lance Henriksen played the character Hal Vukovich.

SM

SM

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 07, 2012, 10:26:23 PM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 07, 2012, 07:40:43 PM

Actually, the novelization of the movie refers to an EU aspect of Alien biology when the host often gets Alien DNA after impregnation; the reason most people don't realize this is because the host usually dies long before they get to experience the physical effects of their DNA alterations.

When was that in the EU?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 07, 2012, 10:24:22 PM
One that springs to mind so far is Newt saying to Hicks in Book 2 that she thought gravity drives make hypersleep obsolete.  Yet in stories set long after, hypersleep is still used (to say nothing of Resurrection still having hypersleep centuries later).
Perhaps gravity drives don't function the way Newt/Billie thinks they do, or there's some other sort of side-effect that made gravity drives impractical.

The Concorde was a supersonic passenger liner from the late-60s that rendered even modern passenger planes obsolete by comparison, and yet the Concord was retired almost 10 years ago and nothing even approaching its capabilities has been rolled out since.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed