Prometheus Based off of Ancient Astronaut Theory?

Started by droideggs, Dec 03, 2011, 10:58:29 PM

Author
Prometheus Based off of Ancient Astronaut Theory? (Read 46,016 times)

AlexVelez

Quote from: Pn2501 on Dec 06, 2011, 03:58:48 AM
Quote from: AlexVelez on Dec 06, 2011, 03:43:14 AM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 05, 2011, 01:32:03 AM
Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 05, 2011, 01:07:41 AMwhy does every website i join have to turn into abovetopsecret.com...

Ancient alien intervention with humans is a good science fiction plot, but that's about it.

Isn't the entire Alien franchise science fiction though?
nope its clearly future history  :)

If that's the case then I'm frightened. lmao

droideggs

heh no need to be frightened. The Powers That Be have been pulling the chains for thousands of years. I'm quite sure they have been helping us evolve throughout mankind. That or its the complete opposite.

They want to keep us here on Earth. Which, if true, I wouldn't completely disagree. Mankind is selfish, wreak havoc on our planet, and initiate wars over differences in opinions. Add to that the plausibility that mankind was one button away from mutually assured destruction.

i'm more afraid of mankind itself, than the plausibility of intelligent entities offworld.

Pn2501

Quote from: droideggs on Dec 06, 2011, 04:46:58 AM
heh no need to be frightened. The Powers That Be have been pulling the chains for thousands of years. I'm quite sure they have been helping us evolve throughout mankind. That or its the complete opposite.

They want to keep us here on Earth. Which, if true, I wouldn't completely disagree. Mankind is selfish, wreak havoc on our planet, and initiate wars over differences in opinions. Add to that the plausibility that mankind was one button away from mutually assured destruction.

i'm more afraid of mankind itself, than the plausibility of intelligent entities offworld.

Calm down Mr Jones.  :)

Ghostface

Quote from: Pn2501 on Dec 06, 2011, 07:23:29 AM
Quote from: droideggs on Dec 06, 2011, 04:46:58 AM

http://forums.randi.org/imagehosting/228454824dd7b58252.gif

Calm down Mr Jones.  :)

Sounds like Mr. Icke

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: droideggs on Dec 05, 2011, 11:11:33 PM

where did he get his inspiration from? Curious to know.

Well, Giger incorporates Ancient Egyptian art into his work, such as the final space jockey and seat design was curiously inspired by the "Sokar funerary barge" which I think had always been an inspiration for him, and well he derived inspiration from Dali as well, I suppose one could name a few other artists but Dali is a significant starting point. There's rather a curious drawing that Dali did back in about 1972 of a female with a skull face and an extended cranium in the manner of the Egyptians, extended to such a degree that it needed a crutch to support it and the entity had spines coming out of its back, but I don't know if Giger ever saw that drawing before he started his Necronom series pictures, but Dali's method of extending body parts seems to be an obvious thing. I'd like to find out some picture that might have been an obvious inspiration for Necronom IV but I haven't found something that jumps out in the way his post-Alien painting, Alien Monster IV was a biomechanised picture of Jean Delville's Treasures of Satan

The DALIen. When Dali and Ancient Egypt mix (a Dali illustration for the Dali biography by Ramón Gómez de la Serna). Giger's response to this image a couple of years ago was in general about Dali's art, it was impossible not to be influenced by Dali's art.

Space Jockey King

Space Jockey King

Always fought they was something very odd with Mr Scott.

Tbh i think he knows there life out there and i think he has seen them.

why else would he be so interested.

I also believe there is other life.

Quote from: droideggs on Dec 05, 2011, 05:00:41 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 05, 2011, 09:51:17 AM
'Mantis'-type entities are reported during abductions (at which point, it depends whether you feel there's enough evidence to convince you it's a literal experience or something else), but 'Prometheus' is very unlikely to feature anything like them.

In fact, I doubt it's going to include any UFOlogy 'lore', whatsoever. It's just using the 'interventionist' hypothesis as a springboard for its own unique story.

However... I've always found it interesting that LV-426 is set here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Reticuli

I do believe that these Mantis beings that are purported to be seen by Alien abductees as well as psychedelic users are a metaphor to the Alien franchise entity itself. They both look insectoid in some way.

I also find it odd that people that are totally unconnected with each other are having common visions. I would have thought all this was crackpot discussion, until I realized that many users report meeting with alien entities either through Out of Body Experiences, Near Death Experiences, or through the use of psychedelics, and in some cases, alien abductions. John E. Mack, Harvard Professor of Psychiatry and Pulitzer Prize Winner did a lengthy study on this phenomenon.

Here is one famous incident where over 60 Zimbabweans saw a UFO land near their playground and saw the entities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3fR3jTiPc8#ws

I do find it similarly striking that the Aliens in the movie have enlarged heads, similar to the elongated heads of the Pharaonic times of Ancient Egypt.

"Mantis beings"

you mean The Greys.

Eldritch

I think he means Mantis beings, not Greys. There are actually three forms of aliens described by abductees:

Greys, the most common.
Mantis/insectoids.
Lizards/reptilians.

I don't know where they got it from, but in the movie "The 4th Kind" (I liked the Sumerian language parts, the rest sucked) the aliens are described as looking like owls.

Space Jockey King

Quote from: Eldritch on Dec 06, 2011, 02:49:59 PM
I think he means Mantis beings, not Greys. There are actually three forms of aliens described by abductees:

Greys, the most common.
Mantis/insectoids.
Lizards/reptilians.

I don't know where they got it from, but in the movie "The 4th Kind" (I liked the Sumerian language parts, the rest sucked) the aliens are described as looking like owls.

I have actually seen a reptilian before when i was younger.

you properly wont believe me but i still have dreams about it now.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Greys, the most common.
Mantis/insectoids.
Lizards/reptilians.

I suppose that Mantis like greys have been experienced and Greys have often been described as insectoid and also reptilian.

Valaquen

Quote from: Space Jockey King on Dec 06, 2011, 03:17:49 PM

When I was a kid I was sure I saw Beetlejuice stick his head from a friend's loft. I'm not even joking. Weird.

Melack

Melack

I am an 100% atheist but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy creationism in fiction as a plot-point. I think it's quite obvious Ridley is going for this "aliens engineered humans" thing, which in my opinion can be awesome if the story, visuals and characters work. It has nothing to do with my own beliefs, it's science-fiction. I just hope the movie isn't too obvious or gives too much answers to it's own story, I hate that. The premise reminds me alot of 2001.

I mean I also think time-travel is impossible but I absolutely love time-travel as a plot-point in science-fiction. If done smart interesting and entertaining of course. It is all about execution.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Dec 06, 2011, 12:58:11 PM
Well, Giger incorporates Ancient Egyptian art into his work, such as the final space jockey and seat design was curiously inspired by the "Sokar funerary barge"

Huh... I've just searched for that image and the similarities are really intriguing. Either I never knew about this or had forgotten.

Thanks for that - fascinating.

Dali indirectly invented the Alien... Sounds about right. :)

I think he means Mantis beings, not Greys.

Yeah, mantis-type physiology is meant to be one of the more common types reported by experiencers.

QuoteThere are actually three forms of aliens described by abductees:

Greys, the most common.
Mantis/insectoids.
Lizards/reptilians.

There are actually a ton more, but they're the most widely reported, yeah. You missed out the really tall blonde Nordics, though. :) Not sure if they've decreased in frequency since the sixties.

QuoteI don't know where they got it from, but in the movie "The 4th Kind" (I liked the Sumerian language parts, the rest sucked) the aliens are described as looking like owls.

Actually, that was based on a real facet from actual abductee reports. It wasn't a literal interpretation. It was meant to infer that the Greys are using some sort of subconscious 'visual distortion' thing, so that the victim kind of only consciously sees/remembers them in that fashion. The brain has curious ways of psychologically hiding things it feels would be damaging to remember and replacing them with a less frightful image (in that case, using an animal known for having large eyes to mentally replace the 'real' memory of the Grey entity).

Whatever your views on it, it can be really disturbing hearing recordings of people recounting their experiences, first-hand... Especially children. I found 'Fourth Kind' to be quite effective at recreating those, in that particular regard.

You'll notice that 'Doctor Who' started to include similar theories in its own stories in the last few years. The abductee stuff, of course, pre-dating that by a long margin, but the Whovian stuff gives it a plausible sort of technological explanation.

Although, they were heavily using the Grey/alien abduction mythos for their recent 'Silence' villains. Combined them with Men In Black-type suits, though, which was an odd choice.

Biomechanoid20

Great topic! I always thought Scott and company had interests in this subject when they created ALIEN. You see all sorts of things. This ancient Sumerian symbol surely got to be the Weylan-Yutani inspiration.

And then there's this mask or sculpture:

Valaquen

Quote from: Biomechanoid20 on Dec 06, 2011, 06:26:18 PM
Great topic! I always thought Scott and company had interests in this subject when they created ALIEN. You see all sorts of things. This ancient Sumerian symbol surely got to be the Weylan-Yutani inspiration.

http://www.surfingtheapocalypse.net/pix2/pic183313.jpg
There are parts of the Nostromo that carry an Egyptian vibe. The gold room is probably the most obvious.

droideggs

Quote from: Space Jockey King on Dec 06, 2011, 03:17:49 PM

Greys, the most common.
Mantis/insectoids.
Lizards/reptilians.

I do mean Praying Mantis's. Like the other poster said, abductees and psychedelic users report seeing greys, reptilians, and insectoid looking entities. The most common however, are the greys.

Reptilian phenomenon has been told for ages throughout various cultures. There was a L.A Times (1934) report on purported caves beneath Santa Monica filled with gold. Theorists say that the tunnels belonged to an ancient civilization whose remains are left under the Pacific Ocean. Here is the L.A Times article on this

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/2009/04/gold-hunters-dig-for-lost-underground-empire-of-the-lizard-people.html

Additionally, people see these 'entities' while under psychedelics, particularly with DMT, which is a natural substance secreted from our brain, as well as in many plants and animals. Users feel like they are turning into a mantis being, or have sexual relations with these entities. There is a lot of interaction going on with them. Please check out psychedelic reports from Erowid

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.erowid.org%2Fexperiences%2F+praying+mantis

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed