Prometheus Based off of Ancient Astronaut Theory?

Started by droideggs, Dec 03, 2011, 10:58:29 PM

Author
Prometheus Based off of Ancient Astronaut Theory? (Read 45,129 times)

Xenomorphine

'Mantis'-type entities are reported during abductions (at which point, it depends whether you feel there's enough evidence to convince you it's a literal experience or something else), but 'Prometheus' is very unlikely to feature anything like them.

In fact, I doubt it's going to include any UFOlogy 'lore', whatsoever. It's just using the 'interventionist' hypothesis as a springboard for its own unique story.

However... I've always found it interesting that LV-426 is set here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Reticuli
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_and_planetary_systems_in_fiction#Zeta_Reticuli

For reasons of it being the system allegedly imparted to Betty and Barney Hill, during their famous abduction case, as where their abductors apparently came from. I won't bore anyone with the details here, but if anyone's interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_and_Betty_Hill

So, yeah, it's feasible to include UFOlogy stuff in the 'Alien' franchise for that reason - but not very likely. :)

Would be interested if that case was what prompted the original writers to make it Acheron's location, however...

Whatever the case, so long as they make it good and entertaining, I don't mind what they base the story on.

Blacklabel

Quote from: Pn2501 on Dec 05, 2011, 09:22:58 AM
i don't think it has anything to do with his beliefs i think he is just banking on the popularity of the theory

Maybe. Maybe not. I guess we'll find out when the promotion train for this movie reaches it's full speed  ;)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 05, 2011, 09:51:17 AMHowever... I've always found it interesting that LV-426 is set here

There is no doubt that the Betty and Barney Hill story and the work of Erich von Daniken were inspirations for the minds behind Alien. They are and remain to be highly popular ideas that will never go away... there is no escaping them; they have become as ingrained into western culture as deeply as the idea that the Great Wall of China is the only man-made structure visible from the Moon, or that the seasons are a result of the Earth's elongated orbit around the sun.

Scott will take our tendency to lazily accept such ridiculous theories and say 'hey, you really wanna know about ancient aliens? well, here it is... f**ked up... right?'.

-Chris.

Pn2501

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 05, 2011, 12:20:33 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 05, 2011, 09:51:17 AMHowever... I've always found it interesting that LV-426 is set here

There is no doubt that the Betty and Barney Hill story and the work of Erich von Daniken were inspirations for the minds behind Alien. They are and remain to be highly popular ideas that will never go away... there is no escaping them; they have become as ingrained into western culture as deeply as the idea that the Great Wall of China is the only man-made structure visible from the Moon, or that the seasons are a result of the Earth's elongated orbit around the sun.

Scott will take our tendency to lazily accept such ridiculous theories and say 'hey, you really wanna know about ancient aliens? well, here it is... f**ked up... right?'.

-Chris.

Totally agree, I don't believe These elements are coincidental.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 05, 2011, 09:51:17 AM

So, yeah, it's feasible to include UFOlogy stuff in the 'Alien' franchise for that reason - but not very likely. :)

Would be interested if that case was what prompted the original writers to make it Acheron's location, however...

Dan had an interest in UFOlogy and the Betty and Barney Hill's abduction scenario was a big discussion point around the time even for scientists like Carl Sagan who wanted to debunk it.  This is my entry on the matter at my AlienExplorations blog http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/2009/02/galactic-geography-of-alien-however.html

tonton

Oh wow, this is very interesting.

droideggs

'Mantis'-type entities are reported during abductions (at which point, it depends whether you feel there's enough evidence to convince you it's a literal experience or something else), but 'Prometheus' is very unlikely to feature anything like them.

In fact, I doubt it's going to include any UFOlogy 'lore', whatsoever. It's just using the 'interventionist' hypothesis as a springboard for its own unique story.

I do believe that these Mantis beings that are purported to be seen by Alien abductees as well as psychedelic users are a metaphor to the Alien franchise entity itself. They both look insectoid in some way.

I also find it odd that people that are totally unconnected with each other are having common visions. I would have thought all this was crackpot discussion, until I realized that many users report meeting with alien entities either through Out of Body Experiences, Near Death Experiences, or through the use of psychedelics, and in some cases, alien abductions. John E. Mack, Harvard Professor of Psychiatry and Pulitzer Prize Winner did a lengthy study on this phenomenon.

Here is one famous incident where over 60 Zimbabweans saw a UFO land near their playground and saw the entities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3fR3jTiPc8#ws

I do find it similarly striking that the Aliens in the movie have enlarged heads, similar to the elongated heads of the Pharaonic times of Ancient Egypt.

Pn2501

Quote from: droideggs on Dec 05, 2011, 05:00:41 PM

I do believe that these Mantis beings that are purported to be seen by Alien abductees as well as psychedelic users are a metaphor to the Alien franchise entity itself. They both look insectoid in some way.

I also find it odd that people that are totally unconnected with each other are having common visions. I would have thought all this was crackpot discussion, until I realized that many users report meeting with alien entities either through Out of Body Experiences, Near Death Experiences, or through the use of psychedelics, and in some cases, alien abductions. John E. Mack, Harvard Professor of Psychiatry and Pulitzer Prize Winner did a lengthy study on this phenomenon.

Here is one famous incident where over 60 Zimbabweans saw a UFO land near their playground and saw the entities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3fR3jTiPc8#ws

I do find it similarly striking that the Aliens in the movie have enlarged heads, similar to the elongated heads of the Pharaonic times of Ancient Egypt.

I attribute that to the idea of the collective unconscious, and how the telephone, steam train, and integrated circuit were invented at around the same time by different people, and the idea of a motif and why it works.

Xenomorphine

Yes, well... We all know why Giger truly elongated the Alien heads, don't we? ;)

droideggs

droideggs

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 05, 2011, 09:13:45 PM
Yes, well... We all know why Giger truly elongated the Alien heads, don't we? ;)

where did he get his inspiration from? Curious to know.

What I did find interesting was that the original Alien in the first of the series had a more human quality to it, like therianthropes of ancient cultures (Half human half animal hybrid).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therianthrope

What I found even more interesting was that people who ingest psychedelics like DMT see these same entities interacting with them in another realm.

Cave art depicts therianthropes quite often, from various parts of the world. (either half human half mammalian, or half insectoid, like the praying mantis)

Here is a rendering from a DMT user who observe mantis beings in the 'hyperspace' realm.

One can easily get to this 'realm' either through meditation, lucid dreaming, or by ingesting psychedelics like DMT, Ayahuasca, or LSD.

You can check out what psychonautics observe during these trips to the 'hyperspace' realm here on Erowid

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.erowid.org%2Fexperiences%2F+praying+mantis

Xenomorphine

Quote from: droideggs on Dec 05, 2011, 11:11:33 PM

Look at Giger's art...

The Alien was designed as a huge walking personification of sexuality and genitalia. The skull is literally meant to represent a phallus. It's part of what makes the Alien so disturbing for people to look at for the first time.

Nothing to do with ETs, I'm afraid. The guy just thought, "Let's make its head into a giant penis." It's really as simple as that. :)

droideggs

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 05, 2011, 11:35:42 PM
Quote from: droideggs on Dec 05, 2011, 11:11:33 PM

Look at Giger's art...

The Alien was designed as a huge walking personification of sexuality and genitalia. The skull is literally meant to represent a phallus. It's part of what makes the Alien so disturbing for people to look at for the first time.

Nothing to do with ETs, I'm afraid. The guy just thought, "Let's make its head into a giant penis." It's really as simple as that. :)

I do find it interesting to note that per wikipedia entry on H.R. Giger,

QuoteHe blames Salvador Dali and Timothy Leary for inspiring him "through various masturbatory yoga techniques and forced sessions of listening to music by the Doors" to commit the artistic atrocities that he sometimes calls paintings, sometimes calls sculptures, "depending on the mood." His art seems to be inspired by a colorblind person having a bad acid trip.

Timothy Leary was an avid proponent of psychedelics for THERAPEUTIC purposes. I'm not surprised that is where he gets his inspiration from. Same with Salvador Dali. His works of art are very psychedelic in nature.

Additionally, in this 'hyperspace' realm, users report having sexual relations with these intelligent entities. I gotta say, I wonder where H.R Giger went through his 'travels.' :)

Glaive

Dear God, I feel I've woken up in 1985...

AlexVelez

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 05, 2011, 01:32:03 AM
Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 05, 2011, 01:07:41 AMwhy does every website i join have to turn into abovetopsecret.com...

Ancient alien intervention with humans is a good science fiction plot, but that's about it.

Isn't the entire Alien franchise science fiction though?

Pn2501

Quote from: AlexVelez on Dec 06, 2011, 03:43:14 AM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 05, 2011, 01:32:03 AM
Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 05, 2011, 01:07:41 AMwhy does every website i join have to turn into abovetopsecret.com...

Ancient alien intervention with humans is a good science fiction plot, but that's about it.

Isn't the entire Alien franchise science fiction though?
nope its clearly future history  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed