Particles recorded moving faster than light

Started by scarhunter92, Sep 22, 2011, 07:23:52 PM

Author
Particles recorded moving faster than light (Read 2,907 times)

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: Effectz on Sep 23, 2011, 06:17:44 AM
Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Sep 23, 2011, 01:53:59 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la55kfQVmS1qclwnro1_400.gif

the universe does whatever the hell it wants these days.
Did you draw that?I like your take on an exotic partical moving fast.All that is missing is a hat blowing off its head.

nah, i just like that shitty sonic fanart, it's funny. but now that you mention it...

Alienseseses

I told my astronomy teacher about this article. He's sure they made a mistake.

Ghost Rider.

i can do faster

scarhunter92

Quote from: Alienseseses on Sep 23, 2011, 03:57:05 PM
I told my astronomy teacher about this article. He's sure they made a mistake.

I'm pretty sure the guys at CERN are smarter than him. Saying you're sure they made a mistake is kind of presumptous.

chupacabras acheronsis

they also said they could be wrong. they are not sure, they said they must wait for the experiment to be repeated to be sure. doesn't sound very enthusiastic either.

scarhunter92

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Sep 23, 2011, 08:45:47 PM
they also said they could be wrong. they are not sure, they said they must wait for the experiment to be repeated to be sure. doesn't sound very enthusiastic either.

I wasn't denying the fact they can be wrong. I was just saying his teacher sounded kind of presumptous.

SM

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 23, 2011, 03:39:32 PM
Quote from: SM on Sep 23, 2011, 07:41:19 AM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 22, 2011, 07:36:22 PM
YES! so there's a chance humans might eventually be able to leave this god forsaken rock on this desolate star system one day if we can harness these particles.

An odd turn of phrase for one who doesn't believe in therefore shouldn't care if God forsook anything...
With a star system that is indeed desolate, our rock is the very antithesis of "Godforsaken".

Don't take that out of context. I mean't it in a humurous fashion. There is some within the scientific community who believe that FTL is straight up impossible and that humans will never travel beyond our solar system

Well FTL still currently is flat out impossible, until it can be proven otherwise.  Sadly.

But saying we won't travel beyond our solar system seems rather short sighted.  Cryogenics would seem more do-able at some point.

KirklandSignature

I would estimate that we will have the ability to leave the solar system in 100-200 years at least. FTL travel is the only way to reach another habitable star system within a human lifespan. It is safe to say we are marooned on Earth for a good while.

SpaceMarines

While this discovery is incredibly groundbreaking, it won't completely turn over relativity. Our GPS satellites rely upon relativity in order to function properly, and every single major experiment or observation (excluding this one) in the past 90-odd years has only confirmed it as a theory.

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Sep 23, 2011, 08:45:47 PM

Definitely. Independent verification is a necessity for any experiment like this.

Vulhala

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 25, 2011, 03:21:00 AM
I would estimate that we will have the ability to leave the solar system in 100-200 years at least. FTL travel is the only way to reach another habitable star system within a human lifespan. It is safe to say we are marooned on Earth for a good while.

I'm pessimistic we'll even make it back to the Moon in my lifespan, so I'm not even thinking interstellar  :laugh:

LadyZero

I bet those particles didn't even get given a speeding ticket.

Seriously though, that's pretty cool. I like science, I just don't understand it, nor do I pretend to. Well done those particles *clap*

Inverse Effect

Said that five years ago and you would of been laughed at. This proves my theory that things are only impossible if you only know whats possible.

maledoro

Quote from: Guts on Sep 27, 2011, 10:41:06 PMSaid that five years ago and you would of been laughed at.
Why?

Quote from: Guts on Sep 27, 2011, 10:41:06 PMThis proves my theory that things are only impossible if you only know whats possible.
That's not really a theory; more like a koan.

Pn2501

if it does indeed turn out to be correct, it could be a proponent for string theory, mah brain hurts.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128322.900-lightspeed-neutrinos-point-to-new-physical-reality.html

JaaayDee

I can't wait for Star Trek to become a reality  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed