Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1054

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 625,905 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Say 'Relax' again! Say 'Relax' again! I double dare you! I triple dare you!

;) Nobody was "warm" in there.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Oct 13, 2010, 11:22:25 AM
The only thing(s) that Pumpkinhead and the A:R Aliens have in common are the teeth, the avian legs (they don't look alike too, it's the anatomicals structure that bears resemblance) and the humanoid ribcage. End.

I dont know. They look very much alike. Like you said, theres the ribcage, the legs, then there are the shoulder appendages that re grown to the shoulders, the hands and the whole fleshy structure

The influence is apparent

QuoteThe comparison with Ripley #6 especially I don't get - the thing got serried teeth, in a very little mouth. Pumpkinhead has a big, big mouth, with humanoid teeth. Ripley #6 has little, bloody eyes on the side of the skull. Pumpkinhead has them in the front of it - and they are white, pupil less. Also the clone hasn't a head as detailed.

Again, it was more of a sarcasm, but a slight resemblance is there

QuoteAlso it wasn't ADI designing Pumpkinhead if I recall right, t'was Winston.

No it wasnt. It was the first and only time Winston let Gillis and Woodruf both design and act as a creature

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 13, 2010, 11:46:17 AM
ribcage
Well as said, but a lot of Monsters have this characteristic, borrowed obviously by the first Alien designs (as far as I know they were the first Monsters showing a visible ribcage). The Alien from Altered shows this too:

They look very much alike.
A resemblance at first glance (rhyme! ;)) is undeniable, but then there come a lot of differences too. It's also a bit obvious - Pumpkinhead was inspired by the original Aliens in its design. The A:R Aliens are a derivation of the original Alien design, so some similarities aren't so unexpected if you ask me. :)

then there are the shoulder appendages
Pumpkinhead's appendages spring directly from the shoulder, and are bone-y in appearence. The Aliens have the shoulder pads with skinny muscles joining those with the actual arm (sort of an exaggeration of what was there in the first designs, alas four cables). I see no similarities there.

the hands and the whole fleshy structure
What gets me is that Pumpkinhead is muscular in structure, and has clearly visible veins. The Aliens are all but muscular - they're skinny as all the other Aliens. The feet too, Pumpkinhead has those monstrous, thick toes, whereas the Aliens have skinny, long toes.

No it wasnt. It was the first and only time Winston let Gillis and Woodruf both design and act as a creature
I stand corrected - thought it was all a work of SWS. Also a question, when did ADI start business (alas, when did it "detach" from SWS)?

Also saved the pic of the Alien if 'ya don't mind. :)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Oct 13, 2010, 12:06:41 PM
ribcage
Well as said, but a lot of Monsters have this characteristic, borrowed obviously by the first Alien designs (as far as I know they were the first Monsters showing a visible ribcage). The Alien from Altered shows this too:
http://i51.tinypic.com/t50okp.jpg
Not seeing the resemblence in ribcage. Obviously, they're human-esque, but the Pumpkinhead and AR+ ribs are exact.

QuoteI stand corrected - thought it was all a work of SWS. Also a question, when did ADI start business (alas, when did it "detach" from SWS)?
Around 1990. Their first movie was some effects works on Tremors. Then Alien 3.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 13, 2010, 12:09:38 PM
Not seeing the resemblence in ribcage.
All of them are protruding and humanoid, that's the resemblance.

but the Pumpkinhead and AR+ ribs are exact.
Similar I do agree with, but they're not exactly the same.

As we can see, the sternum is slightly more pronounced in the A:R Alien, there's also more of a curve created by the ribs connecting with the sternum, and Pumpkinhead's ribs are covered with some flesh appendages. Also the angle in the photo I used doesn't quite show - but I think the A:R ridges are more curved too.

Around 1990. Their first movie was some effects works on Tremors. Then Alien 3.
thanks. At that point I was unsure - I knew that their first work was Tremors (they did hell of a good job), but this had me doubting whether they were still in SWS when they were working on Pumpkinhead or not. Thanks for clearing that. :)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

They cant be exactly the same, but as your own pics has proved, they are extremely alike. Sure, there are common features in movie monsters (and that proves further that ADI added the generic monster features to the alien design), but the big difference here is that both creatures at question come from the same people and are surprisingly very much alike. And knowing Gillis' and Woodruff boasting ego and self praise (after all, they criticized Giger's and Winston's creatures and claimed theirs is the best), I believe they simply adapted Pumpkinhead's design to Alien because they were the biggest fans of it (if not the only ones)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Thing is, the Alien contributed to create the generic movie monster features. It's since Alien we have skinny monsters (hell, there are a lot others that have a visible ribcage; it's fairly common now, although it's undeniably a cool feature) and all that stuff. And not in case. The greatness of Giger's design inspired countless works after it and a lot of designs "borrowed" traits from it. The A:R Aliens unfortunately suffered from this because, instead of being associated to the legacy they were continuing, they were associated to other movie monsters that borrowed some design choices from the first alien, ending up looking similar in some details.
But the A:R Alien still features the most striking features of the original Aliens (bar the biomech, still present but in a far lesser quantity), alas the long, stretched head, the eyeless feel, the visible bone inside the semi-transparent dome, the shredded cheeks, the metallic teeth, the inner jaw, the back tubes. Something not quite common in other movie monsters.

Oh, and I like both Pumpkinhead and the movie it stars in. Winston did a great job with it.

SM

SM

QuoteIm not saying theyre near identical like the bodies of Pumpkinhead and ADI bugs, but theres a resemblence which may not be accidental, considering the fact that ADI are so in love with their own self and their first design that they keep incorporating it in whatever theyre doing

I was just talking about the heads.

The upper torso is a fairly obvious Alien rip off.

ERipley2154

ERipley2154

Let's see favorite Alien movie? I love them all obviously but my personal favorite is Aliens: Special Edition.

FrigginPandas

FrigginPandas

I guess mine would be, Alien 3. Not really sure as to why but I just like it.   :P

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Aliens
Alien
Alien Resurrection
Alien 3

D.R.

D.R.

1. Alien (TC)
2. Aliens (TC)

3. Alien 3 (TC/AC)

Alien is a perfect movie top to bottom... Aliens is one of the most awesome movies ever made... Alien 3 is boooooooooooooorrrrrrriiiiiinnng.

DragonBossk

DragonBossk

To those that chose A:R......hello!

MykeHavoc

MykeHavoc

I don't necessarily think Alien 3 is the best, but I tend to watch it the most. Love the tone of it.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

After years of not being able to tell which of the movies from the trilogy I like better, liking them all really equally, after my recent reviewings of the trilogy I think I can now rank them. Still, they are extremely close to each other for me. My ranking would be

Aliens
Alien 3
Alien

Alien by the admission of everyone involved was a straight ahead horror movie. Aliens was made because of Cameron's fascination with Ripley character, and it was about her trauma and her fighting her inner demons. Alien 3 was also about Ripley, her depression and how she deals with her situation. Alien 3 is even more about Ripley to the point where, like I said, you can take out the runner and the story could still remain intact. Its more drama. Im not saying either is good or bad, but I prefer focusing on Ripley's character and the characters' dramas with aliens being just a backdrop or a story device for those dramas

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed