Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1054

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 626,376 times)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 10, 2017, 03:17:58 AM
Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Feb 10, 2017, 02:05:43 AM
Dammit, I can't believe that Aliens is so thoroughly dominating the poll.

Let's face it, it was always going to be (at best) a two horse race between Aliens and Alien and, as good as the original is, the majority of people in these polls are going to lean towards it's more action heavy and quotable sequel. The other films barely merit a mention...

I personally hate action unless its Verhoeven, Cameron or Miller, and I never cared for quoatable dialog. I love Aliens because of its visual imagery, the backlight, haze, that sort of thing, the long buildup and insane tension that builds fast then never lets go. While Alien is a master of suspense, Aliens is a master of tension, you couldnt pull a pin out of my ass with a tractor while watching Aliens

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Feb 10, 2017, 02:31:16 AM
It is a great movie, has every reason to be a favorite for so many fans.
I never said that it wasn't.
Quote from: Matriarch on Feb 10, 2017, 03:10:25 AM
Dammit, I can't believe that Aliens is so throughly dominating the poll.

Quote from: Matriarch on Feb 10, 2017, 03:10:25 AM
Dammit, I can't believe that Aliens is so throughly dominating the poll.
Well what did you expect? Its one of the greatest alien movies (Not just Xeno's) ever made and this is AVP Galaxy after all.
I didn't expect for it to so utterly dominate the poll.

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 10, 2017, 03:17:58 AM
Dammit, I can't believe that Aliens is so thoroughly dominating the poll.

Let's face it, it was always going to be (at best) a two horse race between Aliens and Alien and, as good as the original is, the majority of people in these polls are going to lean towards it's more action heavy and quotable sequel. The other films barely merit a mention...
That certainly seems to be the sad but honest truth.

426Buddy

426Buddy

No surprise for me, Alien and Aliens are great movies. I find it amazing that "lighting in a bottle" struck twice for this franchise and I doubt it'll happen again.

That said, of the two films, Aliens has a much broader appeal to general audiences. I find it hard to get people to who haven't seen Alien to actually appreciate its slow & quiet style. The effects in both flicks have aged some-what as well, even in the nineties my friends always tried to rag on the films by pointing out the men in suits.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 10, 2017, 04:34:30 PM
No surprise for me, Alien and Aliens are great movies. I find it amazing that "lighting in a bottle" struck twice for this franchise and I doubt it'll happen again.

That said, of the two films, Aliens has a much broader appeal to general audiences. I find it hard to get people to who haven't seen Alien to actually appreciate its slow & quiet style. The effects in both flicks have aged some-what as well, even in the nineties my friends always tried to rag on the films by pointing out the men in suits.

I'd say the effects in Aliens have aged considerably better than Alien, not surprisingly given the advances in technology. Although saying that, Alien 3 features some of the worst ef in the series. The only real issue I have with the effects in Aliens are some of the external dropship shots (most notably when Bishop is flying Ripley back into the facility)...

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Most of the stuff in Alien holds up pretty good, honestly. They did a good job of not showing stuff. I think the only shots that really look off, to me, are the shots of the Alien outside the shuttle at the very end.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: StrangeShape on Feb 10, 2017, 04:43:25 AMWhile Alien is a master of suspense, Aliens is a master of tension, you couldnt pull a pin out of my ass with a tractor while watching Aliens

What is AR a master of?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 10, 2017, 08:16:58 PM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Feb 10, 2017, 04:43:25 AMWhile Alien is a master of suspense, Aliens is a master of tension, you couldnt pull a pin out of my ass with a tractor while watching Aliens

What is AR a master of?

AR is a master of cheese

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 10, 2017, 04:34:30 PM

You can probably chalk that up to the masses general preference of action over suspense.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

What is AR a master of?

Well, it's all brown and yellow, very fitting palette

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: StrangeShape on Feb 10, 2017, 10:02:10 PM

What is AR a master of?

Well, it's all brown and yellow, very fitting palette

Like poopcorn?

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Yeah, fart popcorn

windebieste

windebieste

The fact the movie is constantly lit from below doesn't help, either. 

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 10, 2017, 10:31:47 PM
The fact the movie is constantly lit from below doesn't help, either.

Are you in the club?

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 10, 2017, 08:09:20 PM
Most of the stuff in Alien holds up pretty good, honestly. They did a good job of not showing stuff. I think the only shots that really look off, to me, are the shots of the Alien outside the shuttle at the very end.
The cutaway shot of Ash's slightly withered head also doesn't look very good. As a whole, though I agree that Alien holds up remarkably well for a film of its age.

Just a friendly Xenomorph

Definitely Aliens, it has a great feeling of nostalgia for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed