Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1054

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 626,410 times)

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 05, 2015, 02:38:42 PM
Me, I'd put Aliens first not just because I prefer action to pure horror, but because I like the family motif that Cameron used with Ripley, Newt and Hicks. I thought that it was a very interesting theme to put in a sci-fi/horror jaunt and it worked very well. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. 10/10

Putting Alien second is a tough decision for me because frankly, without Alien, Aliens would be pretty worthless. Part of the reason the second film is so good at showing Ripley purge herself of the terrors she's experienced is that the first film was damn near perfect at showing that terror. Alien was also the first R-rated film I was allowed to see, so it holds a special place in my nightmares as a kid. In a good way. 10/10

After AVP comes Alien: Ressurection. The moment I simply decided not to even entertain it as the full-on sequel and just enjoy it as movie on its own, I ended up really liking it. With the exception of Winona Ryder, the acting is pretty good, the visuals are nice as well, action scenes, especially the underwater scene, are well-executed. Overall I enjoy it for what it is, and I'm glad that the franchise isn't continuing Ripley 8's story. 7/10
That's my boy! :D

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 05, 2015, 02:38:42 PM
Me, I'd put Aliens first not just because I prefer action to pure horror, but because I like the family motif that Cameron used with Ripley, Newt and Hicks. I thought that it was a very interesting theme to put in a sci-fi/horror jaunt and it worked very well. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. 10/10

Putting Alien second is a tough decision for me because frankly, without Alien, Aliens would be pretty worthless. Part of the reason the second film is so good at showing Ripley purge herself of the terrors she's experienced is that the first film was damn near perfect at showing that terror. Alien was also the first R-rated film I was allowed to see, so it holds a special place in my nightmares as a kid. In a good way. 10/10

After that comes Alien: Resurrection. The moment I simply decided not to even entertain it as the full-on sequel and just enjoy it as movie on its own, I ended up really liking it. With the exception of Winona Ryder, the acting is pretty good, the visuals are nice as well, action scenes, especially the underwater scene, are well-executed. Overall I enjoy it for what it is, and I'm glad that the franchise isn't continuing Ripley 8's story. 7/10

After that I'd put the first AVP film, mostly because I'm enough of a Predator fan that that film is enjoyable to me. And in the 1-on-1 face-off between the Xeno and the Predator, the Xeno wins. I love that. The worst part about that film was the human characters though. You could have taken them out, made a 30-minute film of 3 Predators going into the temple and fighting the xenos and it would have come out better. 6.5/10

Prometheus comes next, and I probably need to watch it one more time before I make up my mind about it. I've said that the past 7-8 times I've seen it. It's such a confusing film at times that I'm never really sure it like it or not. Which for all I know was Ridley Scott's intent. Prometheus is the alien-related film that makes me laugh the most though, I'll say that. If only because of the Honest Trailer on youtube. Funny as hell. ?/10

Then comes Alien 3. And I'll be up-front about my hate for this film. I honestly don't like anything about it. First, I dislike the tone of the film with the depressing and nihilistic feel. The original Alien had nothing like that, only pure terror. That's what I liked about that. Alien 3 tried to add a feeling of hopelessness and despair that ended up draining me of any reason to care for the litany of generic bald prisoners that the dog-xeno kills throughout the film. After a while, I realized that the only thing to cheer for was the alien. I didn't even care about Ripley, and when she died it seemed like putting down a dying dog rather than the heroic sacrifice it was meant to be. I love David Fincher as a director, and I don't blame the film's faults on him. But honestly don't hold a single thing about this film in high regard. Killing off Hicks and Newt was a very tough sell for me considering what I loved about Aliens, and the film only got worse after the opening credits. I've seen the film only twice, once for the theatrical release and I saw the Revised cut about year ago. Each time it's left me only furious at the direction Fox decided to go with the franchise that has two of my very favorite movies. 3(ha)/10

But I will say this about Alien 3: it least it was watchable. A competently-made movie whose tone, storyline and characters I had no love for, but I could finish the film before I decided to hate it. I honestly wasn't able to do that with AVP:Requiem. As soon as I realized that they'd gone with the generic bullied kid pinning after the popular girl with the jock boyfriend, I could see where the film was going. After a short while, I just stopped watching. It was just so far removed from what made both Alien and Predator great that I could no longer bring myself to finish the film. To this day I still haven't seen the whole thing, and I doubt I ever will. It's just so BAD. 0/10

People can dislike or hate A3 for many reasons, but its totally unquestionable that is ten million times a better movie than AVP or AVPR in every single aspect of it, but it's entertaining values, that are more personal to every one.

Close Encounters

Close Encounters

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Mar 05, 2015, 05:44:49 PM
People can dislike or hate A3 for many reasons, but its totally unquestionable that is ten million times a better movie than AVP or AVPR in every single aspect of it, but it's entertaining values, that are more personal to every one.

You and I use totally different methods to measure the value of a film. What makes a 'better movie' to me is how much I
A. Enjoy watching it
B. Want to watch it again.
C. Appreciate the value of its theme or message
and D. How much smarter I feel having watched it.
So for me, separating entertainment value from cinematic value is just plain impossible. It's half of how I measure them. If it's not entertaining, the message or theme better be good, and I better feel like my IQ is higher than 84 after watching it.

A3 fails on all four aspects of how I value a film, and AVP-R fails even harder. AVP at least partially succeeds at the first two. Fails utterly at the last two, I'll say that.

So by my standards, A3 being better than AVP is totally questionable. Can't stand any aspect of one, can at least appreciate some aspects of the other. Pretty simple decision for me.

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 05, 2015, 06:35:57 PM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Mar 05, 2015, 05:44:49 PM

You and I use totally different methods to measure the value of a film. What makes a 'better movie' to me is how much I
A. Enjoy watching it
B. Want to watch it again.
C. Appreciate the value of its theme or message
and D. How much smarter I feel having watched it.
So for me, separating entertainment value from cinematic value is just plain impossible. It's half of how I measure them. If it's not entertaining, the message or theme better be good, and I better feel like my IQ is higher than 84 after watching it.

A3 fails on all four aspects of how I value a film, and AVP-R fails even harder. AVP at least partially succeeds at the first two. Fails utterly at the last two, I'll say that.

So by my standards, A3 being better than AVP is totally questionable. Can't stand any aspect of one, can at least appreciate some aspects of the other. Pretty simple decision for me.

Ok, lets say that whatever enjoyment you take from the movies , ARTISTICALLY, A3 is ten million times better than AVP in every single aspect.

Close Encounters

Close Encounters

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Mar 05, 2015, 07:00:28 PM
Ok, lets say that whatever enjoyment you take from the movies , ARTISTICALLY, A3 is ten million times better than AVP in every single aspect.

I'll agree on the general principle here, yes. But I'm afraid I must haggle over the 'ten the million times part'. I'll settle for over 9000. Not one time more.

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 05, 2015, 07:05:29 PM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Mar 05, 2015, 07:00:28 PM

I'll agree on the general principle here, yes. But I'm afraid I must haggle over the 'ten the million times part'. I'll settle for over 9000. Not one time more.

Deal ;)

Magegg

Magegg

Meh, the thread title says "favorite Alien movie" not "best Alien movie", so using a personal rating based on how much you like the movie is the right thing to do.

One can like a considered "bad" movie better than one considered a "good" movie simply because the latter might be not one's "cup of tea", and no one should force anyone into placing a movie he doesn't like better on a higher place on their Favorite movies top.

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 05, 2015, 07:33:50 PM
Meh, the thread title says "favorite Alien movie" not "best Alien movie", so using a personal rating based on how much you like the movie is the right thing to do.

One can like a considered "bad" movie better than one considered a "good" movie simply because the latter might be not one's "cup of tea", and no one should force anyone into placing a movie he doesn't like better on a higher place on their Favorite movies top.

did I do that?

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 05, 2015, 08:41:58 PMSo by those standards I should coincider AVP as a better movie than ALIENS?
No one says better or worse, only saying you like it more, or less.

I would actually prefer re watching There's something about Mary than Interstellar :P

aliennaire

aliennaire

Removed my vote from Aliens and cast it to Alien today. I guess I am more for visuals and suspense today than for actions .
Neill Blomkamp, hear my voice! :-)

MCP

MCP

My vote goes to Alien 3.

Why? 

-Most badass xenomorph in the franchise.  My favourite design as well.
-Gore.
-Love the whole prison planet idea and the religious theme.
-Best performance by Sigourney Weaver.
-Interesting characters like Clemens, Golic and Dillon.
-Has the darkest feel out of all the movies.
-Beautiful score and visuals.
-Perfect ending to the trilogy.

IMO.

Alien³

Alien³

This picture sums up the personalities of each film perfectly.

AlienPredatorFan77

AlienPredatorFan77

Aliens is definitely my favorite one.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 24, 2015, 02:36:45 PM
This picture sums up the personalities of each film perfectly.

The last drawing kind of highlights why Resurrection sucked so badly in comparison to the others. Ripley became a totally different character and wasn't the badass I remember from the previous films.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

She is a different character. That's entirely the point. And whilst I dislike the tone of the film - especially that line, Joss, never write Alien again - the Ripley 8 character had some huge potential. I'm re-reading the AR novelization for the first time in a while and I'm really enjoying the inner-confusion and conflict.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed