Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1054

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 625,664 times)

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

If we are going to have a good sendoff for Rip, I can't think of better music to play.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jun 21, 2013, 07:05:43 PM
Goldenthal's music in that film is to die for. Beautiful and haunting material.
I'm sure parts of it turned up in Batman Forever.

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

Aliens- Fast paced, suspenseful at points, exposes you to a lot more technology and the Queen (and the bad ass marines), possibly some of the greatest dialogue in any movie.

Alien- Suspenseful, dark, creepy, a little bit of a thriller, exposes you to a whole new universe and genre of film. (The only reason it's behind ALIENS is because I'm more of the action/suspense/thrill type of person, otherwise they're both 10/10 for me)

(Prometheus at number 3, if you count it as an Alien film)

Alien 3- Very cool alien breed, but other than that it really doesnt have much else going for it, it killed off all the people from Aliens and really just was a shitty mess for what it could have been.

Alien Resurrection- Completely ruined the Aliens franchise, made it seem like a joke, and because of that I honestly think we will never see another perfect Alien film like the first two.

DEADLY_VENGEANCE

DEADLY_VENGEANCE

ALIEN is definitely number 1 for me, not only out of the Alien movies, but out of film itself.
Aliens made the alien look like a dumb bug to me. The alien of ALIEN took its time and seemed to take a sick pleasure out of killing its prey - playing around with it before it anally raped it with its tail. The thing I disliked most about Aliens was the removal of the dome. The dome played such a big role in Giger's original art piece. The visible human skull made the alien seem so organic, yet it was cords and wires which made it feel inorganic; a mixture that scares the audience the most because they aren't completely sure if it's something that could actually exist or not. The dome also made it look almost like a spaceman outfit. I also like how the original alien walks and acts more like a man whereas the ones in Aliens just seemed like a bunch of crazed animals.
If Alien 3 got me more attached to the characters as the first and second one did, that would probably put Alien 3 in second place. The fact that Newt, Bishop, Hicks (and eventually Ripley) die were a great way to end the series. Nature is brutal - fair and unfair do not exist. I like how there's no candy-coating bullshit. Plus I enjoy this alien design ("runner"/"dog alien") better than that of Aliens.

Staplepuffs27

Staplepuffs27

Tough choice. Honestly though, I have to go with the original. The creature was far more threatening compared to later installments even if it stood on its own. I appreciate Alien 3's effort to return to this idea, and I do enjoy the movie a lot. This doesn't mean I don't like Aliens, the memorable characters contribute to an excellent film. The 4th movie is fun on a random Saturday. Honestly, I like them all, but I have to go with the original.

DC

DC

Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3, are all equally loved by me. (Hey! It rhymes!)

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Hello,the original Alien is a long time favourite of mine for many reasons,mainly for the original Alien design wich in my opinion has never been equaled much less surpassed,also the small cast of very talented actors who brought the vivid characters to life and Ridley Scott's masterful direction.Aliens and Alien3 would both be a close second.I wouldn't touch the others with a barge poll,they do nothing but trash the memory of the first two.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: DEADLY_VENGEANCE on Jul 27, 2013, 03:40:46 AM
Plus I enjoy this alien design ("runner"/"dog alien") better than that of Aliens.

I enjoy the design of the runner as well but my fave is the original, and so by default I love Aliens design second best since theyre basically the same (http://www.jamescamerononline.com/AlienWarrior.htm) whereas the Runner removes biomech from the creature (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/lovegunner/AVP/01063_Alien_Sibthor.png, http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/lovegunner/AVP/neck2.jpg)

Predatorium

Predatorium

Alien is my all time favourite movie. The set pieces, the environments, the actors, the screenplay, the pacing, the lighting, the entire atmosphere is perfect. It truly brings the feeling of facing an unstoppable unknown entity, a humanoid 7 foot tall nightmare. Kane's son.

I do enjoy the sequel but it leaves me with a bitter after taste because I can't help but feel that it ruined the sense of horror the first one gave us, the feeling of facing something unknown and unstoppable. In the sequel they just shoot them dead with a burst from a rifle..The only reason they lost was because of their sloppiness and superior officer that wouldn't allow them to keep their ammo. They didn't lose because they were facing a true unstoppable nightmare. in Alien 3 they lost because they didn't have any weapons. But at least that movie had the darker tone of the original and a new original Alien that didn't mess with the original Giger alien.

SM

SM

Didn't want to bother starting a new thread for this, but anyone with a copy of Alien handy (theatrical) go to 1:16:09 (just after the scene cuts from Mother's UNABLE TO CLARIFY back to Ripley).  Extreme left frame.

Predatorium

Predatorium

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2013, 06:06:02 AM
Didn't want to bother starting a new thread for this, but anyone with a copy of Alien handy (theatrical) go to 1:16:09 (just after the scene cuts from Mother's UNABLE TO CLARIFY back to Ripley).  Extreme left frame.

There's nothing there! Plus the time isn't right.

SM

SM

Go have another look.  Timing might be slightly off on NTSC systems.  Main thing is right after UNABLE TO CLARIFY and cut back to Ripley.

monkeylove

monkeylove

The first is horror, dealing with an alien that is revealed fully only at the end. Obviously, that could no longer be done with the second, which is why it employs another genre: action. Given that, the third uses something similar to detective fiction, which is appropriate.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2013, 06:06:02 AM

I'll see what I can do. You want a screen cap? Anything specific you're looking for?

Predatorium

Predatorium

Quote from: monkeylove on Oct 05, 2013, 03:40:20 PM
The first is horror, dealing with an alien that is revealed fully only at the end. Obviously, that could no longer be done with the second, which is why it employs another genre: action. Given that, the third uses something similar to detective fiction, which is appropriate.

The only thing we learn at the end of the first movie is that it indeed looks like a humanoid, other than that, we know nothing about it; intelligence, strength, reproduction etc. Only guesses can be made.

I think the sequel would have been way more frightening if the marines were realistically portraid as a disciplined group of marines that still get their butts handed to them because of the enemy is way smarter and stronger than the marines and their weapons.

I hate that facepalm feeling I get when Gorman orders their ammo away, which probably was a safe bet since who can trust these "marines" to check their fire? I think if they were actual marines their superior would inform them of the reactor and trust their judgement and training to deal with the situation safely without putting their squadmates in jepoardy.

It's funny though how they should have removed the flamethrowers aswell because look what happens when the medic gets grabbed by the first full grown xeno, she puts the guy with the ammo bag on fire  :P I know Cameron said he didn't know anything about the real marines when he wrote the movie and I know it's an 80s action movie but I just can't get around the bad writing when the first one was so exceptionally executed.

Okey so the first one isn't perfect either; if they had listened to Parker's suggestion to freeze Kane, they'd be safe but there wouldn't be a movie, and sending only Dallas into the vent when they know how big and dangerous the alien is was probably not the smartest idea either.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed