The 'last thing you bought' thread

Started by Effectz, Jun 17, 2011, 04:32:20 PM

Author
The 'last thing you bought' thread (Read 394,525 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Rong

Rong

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Dec 02, 2013, 01:23:05 PM
Quote from: Rong on Dec 02, 2013, 09:29:52 AM

took the plunge i'm now officially a organ donor well in a couple of weeks when they deliver it

Nice!  Welcome to the organ donor club, who wants to get old anyway? 

Cheers guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOKsOveYD0#ws

I can see this becoming a very expensive hobby :p

@vaka

Yeah bit of both, lots to see in straya, and I really do hope it's bulletproof

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Rong on Dec 02, 2013, 06:32:39 PM
Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Dec 02, 2013, 01:23:05 PM
Quote from: Rong on Dec 02, 2013, 09:29:52 AM

took the plunge i'm now officially a organ donor well in a couple of weeks when they deliver it

Nice!  Welcome to the organ donor club, who wants to get old anyway? 

Cheers guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOKsOveYD0#ws

I can see this becoming a very expensive hobby :p

@vaka

Yeah bit of both, lots to see in straya, and I really do hope it's bulletproof

Welcome to your new addiction  ;D 

A few words of caution:
Always wear your gear, especially your helmet. 
No one can see you, you are invisible on the road. 
Spend some time riding with groups, it will help bring your skill level up.
Stay away from minivans. 
A quick way to get a traffic light to turn is to hit the cross walk button on the other side.
It's better to pass on the shoulder than try to lane split.  One car to look out for is easier than two.

Your gonna love it, enjoy!!!

Rong

Rong

Thanks for the advice Alice, I'll be taking all that on board.

Also helmets are mandatory in aus, so I won't be riding without one, got a couple of weeks before it gets delivered, I'm in the process of getting the gear in the meantime, thinking of getting an arai xd4 Helmet, and alpinestars outfit.

I'm glad I waited till I was a little older to buy one, I'm going to be super cautious with it.

AliceApocalypse

You'll be a little nervous the first few months, but you'll be fine. 

Arai's are sweet helmets, super pricey too.   A Joe Rocket saved my life a few years ago, they are tough helmets.  Right now I have Shoei Flutter, it has butterflies :)

Rong

Rong

Yeah Kinda lucky its summer now in Aus so ill get some decent riding in.

Yeah the Aria's are expensive but compared to the BMW gear its cheap, that stuff is sooo expensive.

Predator Queen

Pink as a color is weird, but it tastes amazing!

Vakarian

Vakarian

Quote from: Rong on Dec 02, 2013, 10:00:02 PM
Yeah Kinda lucky its summer now in Aus so ill get some decent riding in. .

Just remember that if your not falling your not trying hard enough.  :P  but yeah,  definitely take Alice's advice and invest in some decent armour. It took me the good part of six months before I was comfortable enough to launch off of ramps. I have many motorcycle experiences but I'll share them some other time :P

However in terms of buying decent armour, there was a friend of mine who had been riding way longer than me, and he was wearing some armour that only protected a small part of his upper chest and back, not anywhere near his ribs. Then one day he came off his bike coming round a bend because a tree had fallen over the road, and he impaled himself onto a tree branch, and it literally missed his heart by centimetres.

Rong

Rong

Oh f**k here we go with the horror stories  :laugh:

Bikes getting delivered in early January it seems so I've got some time to sort out what kit I need, been busy with work I haven't had time to go try some on, definitely need to get some decent armour that's for sure thanks for the heads up vaka.

Vakarian

Vakarian

Haha that's the worst one I know of personally :P I've had a few bad scrapes myself but nothing serious. :P The only time I've never rode with armour was when I was riding through a place in South Africa called Die Hell and f**k me did that place live up to its name.  :laugh:

Also having a girl riding on the back of your bike with you is just one of the best feelings ever :P

AliceApocalypse

Unless the girl on the back is 11 and puts half of her bedroom in a backpack and doesn't sit still  >:( 

Not so horrific story time...

A friend slid into a corner and hit some sand.  His bike went one way, he went another.  He was wearing jeans and you could see a blue streak on the pavement then it stopped.  His leg permanently looks like road pizza now.  Lesson learned, frame sliders & riding pants.

A Nissan truck slammed on it's brakes in front of me, right as I opened the throttle to pass.  I ran right into the back of the truck.  I guess the guy didn't know I hit him because he let off the brake and kept going.  I picked up and rode home to get the car.  A little shaken.

Another friend was trying to catch air over a causeway but when he got to the other side a minivan was in his lane.  He threw the bike down to avoid hitting it and tumbled down the causeway.  He was in full gear and walked away with just a few bruises.  Funny thing, the next day he was riding along the beach road without gear (or helmet) to check out the ladies and he dropped his bike.  Broke his collar bone and ended up with a concussion. 

Aspie

Aspie

Cal427eb

Aspie

Aspie

$30 says otherwise

Vakarian

Vakarian

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Dec 03, 2013, 02:16:08 PM
Unless the girl on the back is 11 and puts half of her bedroom in a backpack and doesn't sit still  >:( 

Not so horrific story time...

A friend slid into a corner and hit some sand.  His bike went one way, he went another.  He was wearing jeans and you could see a blue streak on the pavement then it stopped.  His leg permanently looks like road pizza now.  Lesson learned, frame sliders & riding pants.

Jesus that's couldn't have been a pretty picture.

My stepdad got  t-boned at a cross junction once and nearly had his foot ripped off in the process. If you look at his foot, it looks like he was attacked by a shark or something.  :laugh:

Personally the closest I've come to being seriously injured is when I was riding home after I just got my bike serviced, and the mechanic never put my front brakes back on properly, so when I went to pull the brake my entire front wheel just locked up and sent me sliding off my bike into oncoming traffic. Nearly got crushed by a minivan coming the other way. On top of all that whenever your riding through shanty towns, f**king kids throw sticks and stones at you because they think it's a game. One older guy threw a log onto the road in front of my brothers bike causing him to swerve out the way onto oncoming traffic, the dude never seen me coming up behind him and I nearly planted my foot into his chest.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed