So Hudson survived..

Started by Griffith, Jun 08, 2011, 03:46:26 PM

Author
So Hudson survived.. (Read 35,708 times)

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

I just wanted to say that I'm becoming less and less excited for it, and I will not hestitate to rip it to shreds once it comes out.

newbeing

newbeing

If it makes you feel any better Zach Ford a designer at Gearbox thinks COD: MW3 SP blows.

chupacabras acheronsis

good, so he has basic cognitive skills.

Ash 937

Ash 937

But even at its worst, the MW series was always better than anything the Brothers In Arms series ever produced.

I think the reason so many people dislike MW is because its still hard to comprehend how such a mediocre game can be so popular.  I think it has a lot to do with the fact that there is so little innovation in the fps genre today.  When publishers try to do something different with games like Rage and Mirror's Edge, not enough people buy them...and so we are stuck with a market that plays up to the consumer at the expense of creativity.  A single video game is a huge undertaking today and costs money.  Publishers and studios want to see a return on their investments.  They want the tried-and-true formulas.

But to get back on the subject...

I also feel the same way as Salt The Fries about A:CM.  As this game gets closer to release, I have less hope that it will be something spectacular.  But A:CM has two things that make it stand out for me at this point and keeps me coming to these forums.  For one, the 4 player co-op for the game sounds interesting and, for two, the fact that the film franchise has done so much for the fps genre already makes me hopeful that GBX will do the game some justice.  I expect a solid game, but like I mentioned before, nothing spectacular.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

Brothers in arms was a great game which even though was heavily linear and scripted just like MW, it presented an aditional challenge to just the old run and gun. it turned squad management, cover, suppression and flanking into a vital part of the game that was required for progress instead of just leaving it in the air for the player to figure it out. it was less of a shooter and more of a puzzle game, it asked you to excercise a different set of skills, and that was what made it stand out for me. it was really a different, fresh and enjoyable experience and when i heard gearbox was developing A:CM i got all excited for more of that different and fresh experience, but with ALIENS in it.

MW series doesn't come close. it's a shooter for the lowest common denominator, it wants to be a fast twitch shooter but it lacks agility and vertigo, it wants to be a cinematic and unique experience but it's story is bland and uninspired, it wants to be realistic and immersive but it's artificial, hand-holding and detached. on it's own it's a decent game, it has that instant gratification that everyone is adicted to nowadays, it has a very engaging flow, it keeps you constantly distracted with a new trick, and it's instinctive and smooth running, but for anyone who has played a well nurtured variety of shooters it fails in every single aspect. it's simply an effortless rehash of a dozen other games and even worse, of itself. and it's popularity is just undeserved and harms the industry.

so i cannot express how dishearted i was when i found out with my own eyes that the games was more like the latter than the former. many tables were flipped that night.

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Nov 13, 2011, 04:07:12 AM
Brothers in arms was a great game which even though was heavily linear and scripted just like MW, it presented an aditional challenge to just the old run and gun. it turned squad management, cover, suppression and flanking into a vital part of the game that was required for progress instead of just leaving it in the air for the player to figure it out. it was less of a shooter and more of a puzzle game, it asked you to excercise a different set of skills, and that was what made it stand out for me. it was really a different, fresh and enjoyable experience and when i heard gearbox was developing A:CM i got all excited for more of that different and fresh experience, but with ALIENS in it.

MW series doesn't come close. it's a shooter for the lowest common denominator, it wants to be a fast twitch shooter but it lacks danger and vertigo, it wants to be a cinematic and unique experience but it's story is bland and uninspired, it wants to be realistic and immersive but it's artificial, hand-holding and detached. on it's own it's a decent game, it has that instant gratification that everyone is adicted to nowadays, it has a very engaging flow, it keeps you constantly distracted with a new trick, and it's instinctive and smooth running, but for anyone who has played a well nurtured variety of shooters it fails in every single aspect. it's simply an effortless rehash of a dozen other games and even worse, of itself. and it's popularity is just undeserved and harms the industry.

so i cannot express how dishearted i was when i found out with my own eyes that the games was more like the latter than the former. many tables were flipped that night.

Can I have a shortened version?

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Nov 13, 2011, 09:45:57 PM
Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Nov 13, 2011, 04:07:12 AM

MW series doesn't come close. it's a shooter for the lowest common denominator, it wants to be a fast twitch shooter but it lacks danger and vertigo, it wants to be a cinematic and unique experience but it's story is bland and uninspired, it wants to be realistic and immersive but it's artificial, hand-holding and detached. on it's own it's a decent game, it has that instant gratification that everyone is adicted to nowadays, it has a very engaging flow, it keeps you constantly distracted with a new trick, and it's instinctive and smooth running, but for anyone who has played a well nurtured variety of shooters it fails in every single aspect. it's simply an effortless rehash of a dozen other games and even worse, of itself. and it's popularity is just undeserved and harms the industry.

Can I have a shortened version?

No.

shadowedge

shadowedge

I wonder how Hudson could have survived? If he didn't die by getting facehugged, he would have been vaporized by the 40 megaton explosion.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

He didn't survive, we are just going to find out EXACTLY what happened to him, or something like that.

The title of this thread should be changed to avoid confusing members and peeps that haven't seen it yet.

SM

SM

Quote from: shadowedge on Nov 14, 2011, 11:25:21 AM
I wonder how Hudson could have survived? If he didn't die by getting facehugged, he would have been vaporized by the 40 megaton explosion.

Since most of the colony and AP station survived - anything is possible.  Radiation made rhino Aliens so why not a zombie clone army of Hudsons?

Beauty&Love

Beauty&Love

I hope he turned into a gun blazing unicorn from hell myself <3

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: SM on Nov 14, 2011, 10:11:43 PM
Since most of the colony and AP station survived - anything is possible.  Radiation made rhino Aliens so why not a zombie clone army of Hudsons?

I hope the "zombie Hudsons" still have enough sense to sprout out the same one-liners that Hudson used in Aliens (and maybe some new ones).  This reminds me of the parody that somebody did on "The Walking Dead" called "Walken Dead." 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giAQuLntqXY#ws

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

what do you mean radiation made the rhino alien? radiations kills not mutates and i have not seen any information saying that the crusher is an alien that mutated because of radiation. So far there is no origin for it but like so many crappy avp film and alien rez, they have gone and made something new which might possibly be hated, i know i hated the newborn and chet., i even try to pretend that the avp film don't exist. Hudson surviving would be a triple miracle because A he would have to escaped the aliens and B he would have to survive the explosion and C he would have to survive what is left of the aliens that is all over complex all on his own (although the latter doesn't really count since newt survived ok)

SM

SM

Quoteradiations kills not mutates

And thermocnuclear explosions vapourise.

Or in this instance - don't.

RabidNinja

RabidNinja

In all fairness, Hudson was a complete badass, but GBX cant just bring him back, let alone partial structural integrity of the colony, i mean look at the explosion the reactor made! Going through the films recently (I say that, i mean im watching Aliens right now ^.^) helps you realise and relate whatever you want to relate to the game and upcoming film. Like the previous posts which i skimmed past, im losing track. Hudson was awesome, yes. But he should share the same fate as Apone, Dietrich, etc. It'd be nice if they just got him and Ripley in the game via voice recordings, hell, if it comes to it, straight to game footage from the film, like when ripley and newt we're in medical with the facehuggers. It would add to the emphasis of the relation between the game and immerse the player a whole lot more into "the world that once was" Adding Hudson into it would, however make the player feel like they accomplished a whole lot more in remembering faces and relating to the film. Hell, completing the game and getting his armour for customisation would be good enough for me! :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed