The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 471,127 times)

First Blood

Yes of course.

Shasvre

Shasvre

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 29, 2019, 05:30:35 AM
Spoiler
Cersei is still at the top of Arya's shit list.
[close]

Oh yes.

Spoiler
Her green eyes need shutting.
[close]

Local Trouble

However...

Spoiler
I fully expect that expectation to be subverted.  Oh, I think Arya will definitely try, but the Mountain will intervene before she can land a killing strike on Cersei.  That's when the Hound saves Arya and we finally see "Cleganebowl."  Ultimately, I think Jaime does the deed.
[close]

SM

SM

Spoiler
Yeah me too.
[close]

Local Trouble

Kirk/Bones

SM

SM

Bones/Kirk

kwisatz

kwisatz

Spoiler
Was a cool episode for me, no more no less. As a single episode more than cool, as a conclusion to an 8 year buildup it was just ok, i guess - storywise and all.

As for the people complaining about darkness: budget hello?

My biggest gripe: the WW dying like bitches. But i think i can hello budget myself here hnnnn.

The dragon/fire CGI: whoah.

Go Arya!
[close]

Local Trouble

Spoiler
The WW died like bitches because the defenders had fire, dragons and weapons that were actually capable of killing them (yet still nearly lost).
[close]

kwisatz

kwisatz

Spoiler
Eh.. They werent so diffident back in the day. Now in season 8 the authors should finally rediscover military reasoning and tactical constraints (simple logic and reasoning even) after skipping stuff like that since episode 1 without flinching; practically every time when standing in the way of the dramatic effect? I doubt... even HBO isnt pissing money. Same reason they send off Ghost with that first rider wave: as pointless as it gets (put him alongside Bran for example).

What i really missed though: headless Ned in the crypt f**king up Sansa for good.
[close]

WY-0311

WY-0311

Spoiler
Given my vast experience with medieval military history and as an authority on the subject...
(PHD in Medieval 2 Total War & Kingdoms - University of Steamworks ;D )

I never found the Dothraki to be a serious threat against a well organised infantry force, but the dramatic effect/tension of their swift defeat was a visual treat. So well done there. On the subject of the Dothraki, never having read the books is there an explanation as to why the Lannisters who despite having what appear to be a well equipped army, struggle so much against them?

I think an exhausted lot of crusading Franks would still wipe the floor with Dothraki, but that's my opinion.

The darkness has to be complimented, it kept the tension high and made the Walkers all the more horrifying, even if there was some kind of budget constraints, I wouldn't want more of the horde depicted. I think it's a mistake to give too much away to the viewer.. ALIEN did this well enough.

What bothered me however, is that they went with dramatics over realism during the scenes with the Castle being overrun. I know there must have been a substantial amount of allied troops fighting off the Walkers to allow the few getting past them and into buildings and what not, point is there was a concentrated battle being fought somewhere or in multiple areas but they didn't clearly depict this to increase dramatic tension.

My problem is that they then decided to isolate our heroes and depict them being overrun and beaten down, and I love these characters but really only each of them manage to survive their respective positions? Just by placing five or six other human extras around them it would have felt more realistic and you would still fear for their lives anyway.

And the whole Ice King dies and then suddenly the entire Trade Federation Army shuts down, along with all the Hunter-Killer Tanks and Aerials crashing in to the ground with the terminators standing motionless as the ground gives way swallowing up all the orcs and trolls from Mordor...
YEAH ok it  made sense to the plot, he was controlling them with his Mr Wippy ice magic,.. but I just wasn't left satisfied, it was a great episode had awesome moments no doubt, but it wasn't a complete meal if you understand my meaning, it could have been, but it wasn't.

I also think there should have been some balls to let more characters die.. i love them all but I really think this should have been the cut throat episode, BUT having never read the books perhaps that is still in store, we'll see.
[close]

LastSonofKrypton

Spoiler
The Dothraki were wasted, the editing was all over the place, Jon Snow was useless, every man character was swarmed with Walkers, but somehow managed to survive relatively unscathed, Arya struggles to get away in the library but then turns into Batman when getting past the White Walkers, Bran does nothing apart from warging into some pigeons, the biggest threat in the show, built up for seven seasons gets Snoked and the whole episode was apparently lit by the guy who worked on AvP: Requiem.  Everything that was great about this show has been given up for dumb fan service and lazy writing
[close]

WY-0311

WY-0311

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 30, 2019, 07:19:31 AM
Spoiler
The Dothraki were wasted, the editing was all over the place, Jon Snow was useless, every man character was swarmed with Walkers, but somehow managed to survive relatively unscathed, Arya struggles to get away in the library but then turns into Batman when getting past the White Walkers, Bran does nothing apart from warging into some pigeons, the biggest threat in the show, built up for seven seasons gets Snoked and the whole episode was apparently lit by the guy who worked on AvP: Requiem.  Everything that was great about this show has been given up for dumb fan service and lazy writing
[close]

Ok, what this guy said ^ lol

kwisatz

kwisatz

Spoiler
QuoteMy problem is that they then decided to isolate our heroes and depict them being overrun and beaten down, and I love these characters but really only each of them manage to survive their respective positions? Just by placing five or six other human extras around them it would have felt more realistic and you would still fear for their lives anyway.

I get what your saying here but at the same i thought it being pretty darn effective from a pure dramatic point of view. Starting with Theons death and that incoming scenes with Jorah getting fuked up good i really thought a lot more of the heroes depicted as standing alone are about to die now (like in: they had six people at their side 5 minutes ago and now they are about to join their fate).

Regarding Bran: I think theres way more behind his warging than what were actually shown. For example the Night King is killed at the exact spot by Arya where Bran has given her that exact dagger some time ago (in season 7?). Maybe he orchestrated a lot more of that battle/the whole event context than we (can) know of right now.
[close]

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Spoiler
Well, i guess i have to drastically lower my expectations. The things i play out in my head and all those fan theories just spoiled me. Always hoping for a big revelation, a huge mindf*ck or something. For each "normal" episode i was like "Yeah, but the next one will be the big game changer! Raising the bar each time, impossible to satisfy i guess - the story we got so far in the last seasons was kinda straight forward.

Same with the Night King. They build this up for several seasons, i was pumped in the moment he met Bran...i thought something big will happen, just listen to the music. Bran was warging the whole time so maybe he...or...oh, the Night King just died and it's over. Guess Bran just watched the battle from a more cinematic angle then. Well, that just happened so yeah. To be fair, i WAS shocked - but more in a "Really, that's it?!" way. And the whole episode had MANY other problems, don't even get me started.

Though, even if the remaining episodes are just straight forward and nothing fancy, the show in general gave me a good time. Some excellent episodes with likeable and good actors, dozens of quotes, hundreds of entertaining hours watching theories and coming up with my own stuff, discussions with my brother 'bout the plot, made me curious for the books and the whole lore. I guess no show could handle such high expectations, so I'm thankful for the whole experience itself :)
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed