The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 471,014 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Predator Queen on May 09, 2014, 04:53:04 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 09, 2014, 04:29:26 AM
Give it a bit of time... Dany isn't perfect. This is GOT, after all. ;)

That's the thing she is perfect (well semi perfect) that is why I do not like her.  I love flawed, really flawed down right terrible characters because I feel they have so much more to say character/back story wise.  I had watched.. I don't know how many eps of GoT around the time the first season come out on dvd, but after I saw Dany fall in love with Kal and became some ... I don't even know, some well loved princess and happy with her place in life I just stopped watching, it annoyed me that much.  I would of rather seen her brother succeed because I found him a ton more compelling and interesting.   Then he died and I just ugh I can not stand her I seriously want her cut in half.

I get why people like her and I can see why she can be a favorite.  I just personally want her dead.

Are you caught up with this season? Because she's already done some pretty crazy things with the
Spoiler
crucifying of the slavers despite Barristan advising her to show mercy.

And as someone who is up to date with the book, I can assure you that she's going to be involved in some more crazy stuff to come.
[close]

Shasvre

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 09, 2014, 03:45:54 AM
Dany's story arc is entertaining, but she's getting progressively more arrogant and one-dimensional to me. :-\

Her character is getting boring honestly...

Show spoiler-
Spoiler
And is she ever, ever going to finally return to f**king Westeros? Most drawn-out side plot in history.
[close]

You think this is drawn out? Oh, you sweet summer child. Try A Dance With Dragons...

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Not sure if posted before but preview for the next episode  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEb5pEMC7fw#ws

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Valaquen on May 09, 2014, 09:23:16 PM

You think this is drawn out? Oh, you sweet summer child. Try A Dance With Dragons...

I sort of know. I cheated and read some summaries of the books online because no way am I spending months of my life slogging through those bricks of books for the weak payoff. :laugh: I'm very glad I did that, but I didn't get all of the little plot points.

I read A Game of Thrones and enjoyed it enough, but it still read like kind of a soap opera to me and I wasn't too keen on staying with the series knowing how bad it trailed off in the last few books. I suppose he's still writing, though, so I might pick up the new ones if they're better.

orchidal

orchidal

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 10, 2014, 12:00:16 AM

I sort of know. I cheated and read some summaries of the books online because no way am I spending months of my life slogging through those bricks of books for the weak payoff. :laugh: I'm very glad I did that, but I didn't get all of the little plot points.

I read A Game of Thrones and enjoyed it enough, but it still read like kind of a soap opera to me and I wasn't too keen on staying with the series knowing how bad it trailed off in the last few books. I suppose he's still writing, though, so I might pick up the new ones if they're better.

This. The show and Wikis are all I'd bother with too. Your complete lack of care for all that's popular and/or fan-cherished is continually refreshing.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: orchidal on May 10, 2014, 12:57:12 AM
This. The show and Wikis are all I'd bother with too. Your complete lack of care for all that's popular and/or fan-cherished is continually refreshing.

:laugh: thanks.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 10, 2014, 12:00:16 AM

While I'd recommend the first three books absolutely, I think you've saved yourself a lot of agony with the later books  :laugh: I think the show will present these later storylines better.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Pfft, I still think book four and five are on par with the first three, and all five are better than the show. I understand being disappointed in books for and five if you had waited all those years for them and only got half a stor, but when reading them all in succession they are great.

That being said, I absolutely love the show and have no problem at all with them deviating and altering the books. It's an adaptation, that's to be expected. And some of the changes are pretty damn good. Arya and Tywin's scenes together in season two for instance, and that ending to episode four this season.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 10, 2014, 02:11:11 PM
Pfft, I still think book four and five are on par with the first three, and all five are better than the show. I understand being disappointed in books for and five if you had waited all those years for them and only got half a stor, but when reading them all in succession they are great.

That being said, I absolutely love the show and have no problem at all with them deviating and altering the books. It's an adaptation, that's to be expected. And some of the changes are pretty damn good. Arya and Tywin's scenes together in season two for instance, and that ending to episode four this season.
I don't agree with them being better than the show, but I definitely think books 4 and 5 are as good, book 3 is the best for me though. I.M.O books 1 and 2 are the slowest by far and hardest to read.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'd say book two was definitely the slowest read for me, but it was chock full of great things.

Funny enough, book four was my quickest read.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 10, 2014, 02:31:42 PM
Funny enough, book four was my quickest read.

Did you skim it or throw it across the room after another Aeron chapter?  :laugh:

Shasvre

Shasvre

The only chapters were I found myself a bit bored were Brienne's. The rest I enjoyed as much as the previous books.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Laufey on May 10, 2014, 03:22:14 PM
The only chapters were I found myself a bit bored were Brienne's. The rest I enjoyed as much as the previous books.

They reminded me of one-off tales like Sir Gaiwan and the Green Knight, though with a more sociological bent and the observances of a post-war Medieval society. I like stuff like that, love it (I study it) but it was out of place at that point, mostly due to pacing and gradually sloppy writing.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Valaquen on May 10, 2014, 03:26:51 PM
Quote from: Laufey on May 10, 2014, 03:22:14 PM

They reminded me of one-off tales like Sir Gaiwan and the Green Knight, though with a more sociological bent and the observances of a post-war Medieval society. I like stuff like that, love it (I study it) but it was out of place at that point, mostly due to pacing and gradually sloppy writing.

I didn't find it that bad.  :P
Though, Dance and Feast can be combined for Season 5 to alleviate Feast's alleged boring-ness.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed