The eggs on the derelict (Aliens)

Started by Infected, Apr 01, 2011, 08:38:25 PM

Author
The eggs on the derelict (Aliens) (Read 16,301 times)

Born Of Cold Light

I agree that Ash was referring to the Alien, I was just adding that extra comment.  Here's my theory:

The Company knew about the Alien, and probably some basics about its biology, though not everything.  They somehow discovered that eggs were on LV-426 and decided to use the Nostromo as a vessel to bring home a sample, with Ash as acting as an planted agent.  Though we can't say with certainty, I think it's entirely plausible that he knew at least somewhat what was happening to Kane and simply did not relay the knowledge to anyone else so as to keep the others in the dark.  His suggestions about changing temperature to try to attack the Alien was a way to distract the crew with bullshit solutions.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Apr 10, 2015, 12:05:19 AMThe Company knew about the Alien, and probably some basics about its biology, though not everything.  They somehow discovered that eggs were on LV-426 and decided to use the Nostromo as a vessel to bring home a sample, with Ash as acting as an planted agent.  Though we can't say with certainty, I think it's entirely plausible that he knew at least somewhat what was happening to Kane and simply did not relay the knowledge to anyone else so as to keep the others in the dark.  His suggestions about changing temperature to try to attack the Alien was a way to distract the crew with bullshit solutions.

I don't buy that. Ash looked as surprised as anyone when it popped out of Kane. I get the impression he didn't know what it was, at least until he'd done some studying.

monkeylove

Quote from: oduodu on Apr 09, 2015, 02:03:19 PM
how did weyland yutani know there was a lifeform on lv 426 ??

why did they not just send and android only mission ??

If it's in reference to Aliens, I think they were told when Ripley returned.

As for the second question, I also thought the same thing years later. I also though it would have been more practical to develop combat robots rather try to turn aliens into bio-weapons, although they could have learned from their physiology.

pred169

[/quote]

As for the second question, I also thought the same thing years later. I also though it would have been more practical to develop combat robots rather try to turn aliens into bio-weapons, although they could have learned from their physiology.
[/quote]

Combat synthetics would be susceptible to electrical attacks...ie  EMP, hacked software, computer viruses...etc.
Plus if they can initiate a weapon behind enemy lines that is self sustaining, spreads rapidly, and wipes out everthing in sight without having to spend billions of dollars to develop it that would be the way to go. That's why current militant forces try to develop chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons as opposed to cyber attacks and robotics. It's cheaper in the long run. Not to mention there's no way to track the origin of this weapon so fear of repercussions is virtually eliminated.

HuDaFuK

Besides, if Wren is to be believed, they don't only want the Alien for it's military implications. I'm pretty sure the 2010 AVP game mentioned other technologies derived from the Alien's biology too, like vaccines and alloys.

pred169

Right....

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 11, 2015, 09:50:05 AM
Besides, if Wren is to be believed, they don't only want the Alien for it's military implications. I'm pretty sure the 2010 AVP game mentioned other technologies derived from the Alien's biology too, like vaccines and alloys.

Groves, a character from the game, says in a recording that W-Y, want the Aliens so that they can become the dominate species in the universe, I laughed so hard at that though I actually found it stupid, not funny and this is why I hate W-Y depiction in games and other media, they are turned into comic-book villians all the time. Isolation didn't do a bad job though, they kept W-Y subtle like in the first film.

irn

irn

The Company probably only knew about the eggs from the one in the lifeboat that crashed on Fury 161, providing it wasn't destroyed beforehand. That's if my memory serves me correct and the egg(s) wasn't actually elsewhere on the Sulaco.

Prior to this their only other understanding would have been from Ripley's inquest on what happened to the Nostromo and any tranmissions that were sent from Hadley's Hope prior to it blowing up.

monkeylove

monkeylove

Quote from: pred169 on Apr 10, 2015, 11:30:31 PM

Combat synthetics would be susceptible to electrical attacks...ie  EMP, hacked software, computer viruses...etc.
Plus if they can initiate a weapon behind enemy lines that is self sustaining, spreads rapidly, and wipes out everthing in sight without having to spend billions of dollars to develop it that would be the way to go. That's why current militant forces try to develop chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons as opposed to cyber attacks and robotics. It's cheaper in the long run. Not to mention there's no way to track the origin of this weapon so fear of repercussions is virtually eliminated.

There are always ways to deal with various attacks, plus the ability to upgrade. Those together with incredible levels of flexibility (drones, maintenance work, scientific work, etc.) makes robots a lot cheaper in the long run.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 11, 2015, 09:50:05 AM

It's more likely these purposes would have been more practical.

pred169

If robotics is so much cheaper why are current military forces still using human beings as the primary assault force?....please.... enlighten me. If robotics were cheaper than bio and chemical warfare then that would be the primary focus of military science.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: monkeylove on Apr 12, 2015, 03:12:13 PMThere are always ways to deal with various attacks, plus the ability to upgrade. Those together with incredible levels of flexibility (drones, maintenance work, scientific work, etc.) makes robots a lot cheaper in the long run.

Doesn't change the fact it's far quicker, cheaper and easier - not to mention less obvious - to divert the Nostromo in Alien.

monkeylove

Quote from: pred169 on Apr 12, 2015, 04:27:44 PM
If robotics is so much cheaper why are current military forces still using human beings as the primary assault force?....please.... enlighten me. If robotics were cheaper than bio and chemical warfare then that would be the primary focus of military science.

Likely because robots are not yet that sophisticated to think the same way that humans do. That's why the military focused on armaments shown in the second movie.

Also, given the fact that the company could put one robot in something as common as a mining transport ship shows that they are not expensive.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 12, 2015, 04:52:25 PM
Quote from: monkeylove on Apr 12, 2015, 03:12:13 PMThere are always ways to deal with various attacks, plus the ability to upgrade. Those together with incredible levels of flexibility (drones, maintenance work, scientific work, etc.) makes robots a lot cheaper in the long run.

Doesn't change the fact it's far quicker, cheaper and easier - not to mention less obvious - to divert the Nostromo in Alien.

Yeah, that certainly worked in the fourth movie. As for diverting the transport ship, the intent is not to focus on bio-weapons but simply to gain hold of new information or beings for experimentation, etc.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Infected on Apr 01, 2011, 08:38:25 PM
Why did they first went out to investigate the colony and not go for the derelict ship instead?
If the company wanted the eggs so bad they could send in two teams one for the colony and one for grabbing "the thousands of eggs the crewmember Kane saw" i mean Ripley can save Newt and stuff and the real bastards can have there war machine without interference of any stuck up curly female.
Because in Alien 3 they specially come for Ripley they send a Sulaco looking craft just for that one creature,
so in between Aliens and Alien3 they had to find out what this creature can do and stuff or they had to know from the start. (Alien) or before that ;)
So my guess would be best to send a team of snatchers and not just one company guy like Burke with a soft belly.
Besides that the derelict ship would have had lots more technology and the jockey inside with the eggs.
ACM solves your question they send a ship there (status interrupted)

Born Of Cold Light

I have a feeling that combat synths are completely illegal, hence not being used that often.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed