Last TV Show You Watched

Started by Predator Queen, Mar 29, 2011, 04:30:51 AM

Author
Last TV Show You Watched (Read 505,140 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: First Blood on Nov 22, 2013, 12:43:09 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 22, 2013, 12:32:02 AM
(though some of the Count stuff was cool, he was like an OTT villain from an 80's Stallone of Arnie flick)

A modern day Bennett. :D

Not nearly homoerotic enough for that. :laugh:

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Kill la Kill Ep. 8

If the ending is anything to go by, the last few episodes are going to be badass as f**k.

First Blood

First Blood

Almost Human - Episode 2

Judge Dredd Karl Urban and his partner are out to stop a gang of Albanians from harvesting human skin for sexbots. This was pretty decent ep I thought. Some of the gadgets used in this episode were really f**king cool, such as the shit those guys sprayed on their faces so the cameras couldn't I.D. them.

Nightmare Asylum

Just watched the first two episodes of Community with a bunch of friends. This show is hilarious :D

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Aint seen nuffin yet.

Nightmare Asylum

Definitely going to have to get into that show. The characters and the banter were right down my alley :D

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

If it's your kind of thing, it's straight up gold for three seasons, then the showrunner (Dan Harmon) got fired for season 4, and that one is all ">_>", because nobody is really feeling it, including the crew because it starts to feel like Community attempting Community, but Dan Harmon is coming back for Season 5 to hopefully get things on track again so yaaaaaaay!

It's honestly one of my favorite comedies on TV, so I am excite for what is likely to be a strong return, even with no Chevy and limited Donald Glover.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Ehn, I didn't mind season 4. It wasn't the same but it was absolute shite like people say it is.

Shasvre

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Nov 23, 2013, 05:53:28 PM
Ehn, I didn't mind season 4. It wasn't the same but it was absolute shite like people say it is.
It wasn't, the writers certainly weren't incompetent, and the actors weren't intentionally unenthusiastic, but it entirely lacked Harmon's spontaneity, charm, or even originality. It was mostly riffing on old material, something Season 3 prior had directly subverted. I just found myself cringing a lot of the time at how much it was trying and failing, so many of the jokes just fell flat for me.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 23, 2013, 06:33:47 PM
Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Nov 23, 2013, 05:53:28 PM
It wasn't, the writers certainly weren't incompetent, and the actors weren't intentionally uninthusiastic, but it entirely lacked Harmon's spontaneity, charm, or even originality. It was mostly riffing on old material, something Season 3 prior had directly subverted. I just found myself cringing a lot of the time at how much it was trying and failing, so many of the jokes just fell flat for me.

Oh yeah, it definitely wasn't the same at all. Just know a lot of people who say it was absolute trash. Hopefully it'll go to being amazing and just not good for season 5. I could honestly really care less about Chevy leaving. Donald kinda sucks doe hoe.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

DBZKai

Mostly just the battles at the end of each arc. :P

And yes it's the uncensored versions f**k that weak sauce Nicktoons shit.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: King Rathalos on Nov 23, 2013, 06:53:09 PM
DBZKai

Hold the phone, uncensored? English dub still?

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Quote from: ShadowPred on Nov 23, 2013, 07:03:26 PM
Quote from: King Rathalos on Nov 23, 2013, 06:53:09 PM
DBZKai

Hold the phone, uncensored? English dub still?

Yes, the Blu-Rays are uncensored.

Online it's harder to find though cause everyone seems to only upload the Nicktoons version. :P

Vertigo

Vertigo

Just bought the Dark Angel season 1 boxed set, and am currently three episodes in.

In case you don't know, it's a James Cameron-created series starring 19-year-old Jessica Alba, from 2000. It's science fiction, set in a moderately dystopian 2019; she's an escaped military experiment of genetic manipulation and Spartan-like conditioning.
It bears a lot of Cameron hallmarks. Highly visionary, well-made and emotive, but prone to two-dimensional characters and some illogical interactions.
One of the most remarkable things about it now, is how prescient it was. It predicted massive recession, a society-altering terrorist attack, surveillance drones, a second war in Iraq, and hackers attempting to play moral watchdog on the government and big business. Obviously most of these elements are presented in exaggerated form, but I do wonder if psychic powers are the secret to Cameron's success.

Unfortunately it's let down by a sledgehammer approach to gender roles. This is obviously a show that's been made in the wake of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, with its arse-kicking heroine and feminist slant, but it takes the movement to an extreme - rarely missing the opportunity to beat you over the head with the knowledge that men are pigs (aside from the main love interest, and the occasional largely silent bodyguard). We're scum, and the default attitude towards us should be disdain. It makes sense for lead character Max, who's had a childhood traumatised and life ruined by military men - that's a central concept of the show, and it's fine. But it's a world view that's shared by her friends and coworkers, and reinforced by nearly every straight white man she meets. I'd accuse the show of misandry, but... it's primarily written by men.

Still. It makes for good watching. It feels strange coming back to this after so long, when Jessica Alba is now more commonly associated with fairly fluffy roles, but she is perfect in this role of prickly yet feminine killing machine. You don't see the joins in her performance at all. Good action, involving plot, and a brilliantly conceived universe on display.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed