Last TV Show You Watched

Started by Predator Queen, Mar 29, 2011, 04:30:51 AM

Author
Last TV Show You Watched (Read 505,366 times)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 08, 2013, 09:52:14 PM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 08, 2013, 09:50:27 PM
I would consider it the greatest American television show ever produced.
That's because you haven't seen X-Files :3
I've seen at least six episodes of it. You haven't seen a sequential second of Breaking Bad.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I've seen a fair chunk of The X-Files.

From what I've seen, Breaking Bad is the better show.

Of course, the style and format of X-Files is one that I'm not much of a fan of in the first place, so I'm not quite the best judge.

First Blood

First Blood

I lasted two seasons.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 08, 2013, 09:55:20 PM
I've seen at least six episodes of it.
Six out of 202 episodes and two theatrical feature films.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 08, 2013, 09:55:20 PM
You haven't seen a sequential second of Breaking Bad.
I'll get around to it after it's finished.

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 08, 2013, 09:58:53 PM
I've seen a fair chunk of The X-Files.
Half of one season out of nine is hardly a fair chunk.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I saw the entirety of the first season. Not my cup of tea.

Cvalda

Cvalda

That's not what you said before. So you saw The Erlenmeyer Flask and the actual beginning of the mythology?

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Wasn't enough to get me hooked. The whole "monster of the week" thing wasn't for me.

I definitely see the appeal, and the lasting impact the show has had. It's just not my thing.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

How many of the 202 episodes do we have to see to be able to judge it?  ::)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Cal427eb on Jul 08, 2013, 10:04:17 PM
How many of the 202 episodes do we have to see to be able to judge it?  ::)
At least more than just the first season, when the mythology hasn't even started,

But I know how anything before 2003 is culturally obsolete, no matter how massively influential it was and directly inspired or outright lead to the creation of all the modern shows you think are so awesome.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Well, I've seen the entire first season, and own about 20 scattered, episodes(on VHS) from all over the place, and I own one of the movies. It's not all that great.  :-\

Eva

Eva

X-Files has a lot of nostalgia attached to it as well. New young audiences don't quite understand how groundbreaking it was when it first aired. It's 'just' another tv-show...

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

In theory a TV series has to catch your attention within the first season and in turn from the first episode. Otherwise don't bother with it.

Saying 'you didn't see all of it, thus you can't say you don't like it' is absolute nonsense. You can't watch 200+ episodes of something that did not grab your interest when you watched the first 5-10.

I.e. I have seen the first half-season of LOST back when it was first aired in a local TV channel. I got bored after the first... 5? 6? I-don't-remember episodes. The show is supposedly 'excellent' and there's a lot of following for it and a lot of positive buzz about it... but it didn't catch my interest within the first episodes -- so I decided not to follow it thereafter. Pretty simple.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Eva on Jul 08, 2013, 10:09:11 PM
X-Files has a lot of nostalgia attached to it as well. New young audiences don't quite understand how groundbreaking it was when it first aired. It's 'just' another tv-show...
It has aged far, far better than most modern shows will. It's so cinematic -- where even most TV shows today are flat and visually static. And considering the way Damon Lindelof and other modern showrunners openly pillage it, its influence isn't going away any time soon.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 08, 2013, 10:06:26 PM
But I know how anything before 2003 is culturally obsolete, no matter how massively influential it was and directly inspired or outright lead to the creation of all the modern shows you think are so awesome.

I never said anything like that. There are plenty of shows from the past century that I absolutely adore. I also fully understand and appreciate The X-Files for the influence it's had, and I'm grateful for the inspiration it gave to many of my favourite television shows. However, the series itself, isn't for me.

I think I've made this comparison before. It's kinda like Robert Heinlein; I am eternally grateful for his works, and the massive influence that his writings have had on science-fiction as a whole. However, his books themselves, I'm not a big fan of.

Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 08, 2013, 10:12:44 PM
It has aged far, far better than most modern shows will. It's so cinematic -- where even most TV shows today are flat and visually static. And considering the way Damon Lindelof and other modern showrunners openly pillage it, its influence isn't going away any time soon.

Aaaaaand.... out come the rose-tinted glasses.

Watching it, it felt quite dated to me. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but it was clearly a product of '90s television. Maybe it got more cinematic in later season, I don't know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed