PREDATOR 4 should be the title for the next film.

Started by samoht, Mar 14, 2011, 08:48:25 AM

What should the name of the next predator film be?

Predator 4
Predator 3
Predators 2
Author
PREDATOR 4 should be the title for the next film. (Read 32,100 times)

FUZION PREDATOR

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 21, 2011, 05:16:55 PM
But, Predators is Predator 3.  They shouldn't turn it into its own franchise, that would be so confusing.

No it's not , NO IT'S NOT!!!!! , F*CKING NO IT'S NOT arrrrrrrgggggggggggg

;D

Master

But, Predators is Predator 3.  They shouldn't turn it into its own franchise, that would be so confusing.

The way I see it, it would make a perfect sense. While Predator is set on earth and focused on standard predators hunting humans, Predators are focused on SP`s hunting humans and other aliens on game preserve. Another franchise would make things simplier.

predxeno

Then maybe Aliens should be considered a seperate franchise from Alien.

FUZION PREDATOR

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 21, 2011, 08:16:37 PM

I know some people that wouldn't mind  ;D

The Captain

If they go for a subline they'll most likely use something terrible like;
Predators: Hunt 2
Predators: 2nd Hunt
Predators: The Hunted
Predators: Final Hunt
Predators: Tribal
Predators: Prey
Predators: Escape
Predators: Hunter Hunted
Predators: Survivor
Predtors: Look we dug up Arnold!!!!!!
Predators: Wow that blokes got a massive nose
Etc etc etc

RakaiThwei

Quote from: FUZION PREDATOR on Mar 21, 2011, 06:19:57 PM

No it's not , NO IT'S NOT!!!!!

If you go by Rodriguez's word, then no... it's not Predator 3, which so many people desperately want to cling onto it as. There are numerous reasons why they want to cling onto it as P3, when Rodriguez says it's not... But I'm too lazy, and just don't want to go over those reasons.

Quote from: Master on Mar 21, 2011, 06:58:26 PM
The way I see it, it would make a perfect sense. While Predator is set on earth and focused on standard predators hunting humans, Predators are focused on SP`s hunting humans and other aliens on game preserve. Another franchise would make things simplier.

I agree with Master here. A separate franchise/continuity would make it much more simpler.

-Rakai'Thwei

Master

Yeah mister I HAZ COMIC BOOKZ!!!1!! that`s briliant idea  ::)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Master on Mar 21, 2011, 09:55:31 PM

Yeah mister I HAZ COMIC BOOKZ!!!1!! that`s briliant idea  ::)

Actually, predxeno's logic makes sense over here. Predators is Predator 3 in the same way that Aliens is Alien 2. Sure, it has a different style and introduces newer version of the original creature, but it carries on the story of the original, therefore making it a sequel.

Predators=Predator 3, so the next movie should be either Predator 4, Predator ______, or Predators ______.

Master

The main differenc is that Predator already have a sequel Predator 2. Calling third one Predators (which is obvious refference to Aliens) creates situation where there are two second films (direct sequels to Predator, as Aliens was direct sequel to Alien). Of course it`s not confusing to us die-hard fans but for general audience. Also (despite horribly big amount of homages) the feel of this new film is somewhat different then P1 and P2. Main creatures looks different, acts different and have different priorites then creatures from original film. Creating paralel franchise about those different Predators would be logical step. 

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Master on Mar 21, 2011, 10:28:40 PM
The main differenc is that Predator already have a sequel Predator 2. Calling third one Predators (which is obvious refference to Aliens) creates situation where there are two second films (direct sequels to Predator, as Aliens was direct sequel to Alien). Of course it`s not confusing to us die-hard fans but for general audience.

And there is a split within the fandom as well concerning where Predators does fit in the timeline. Keep in mind where PREDATORS does fit in is infact disputed but most fans accept it as Predator 3, because of their love for Predator 2, but also their hatred for the AvP films and just would accept PREDATORS to forget the AvP films.

Mindless rambling ahoy, skip at your discretion if you wish.

Spoiler
However, numerous interviews, web-chats and even post release interviews with Robert Rodriguez, he has and I quote mentioned where PREDATORS does fit in the timeline: "It takes place after the first. When I wrote PREDATORS, it was to forget that even Predator 2 existed and you have Predator, and Predators. Like Alien and Aliens."

That quote was taken from the Troublemaker Web-chat interview.

He has also repeated that it was his intention to ignore Predator 2. Hell, this was mentioned even in the presence of Antal during SXSW Austin 2009. But here is where the confusion stems...

Some web-interviewer held a solo interview with Antal, and Antal said: "We're dismissing more of the AvP films. Predator 2 was much closer to the original film where the AvP films took it in a outlandish and cartoonish direction.

So... Rodriguez says, PREDATORS ignores Predator 2 but is the sequel to the original. Antal says that the movie is Predator 3.. So Rodriguez and Antal contradict one another. But an interview with Fear-Net, post release of PREDATORS with Robert Rodriguez adds more weight to Rodriguez's claim as to whether what the sequel might be called:

As for the title of the potential sequel, Rodriguez remarked, "I didn't reference any of the later pictures because when I originally wrote this those didn't exist. I was writing this always as a sequel. In fact, Predator 2 had come out, but they didn't want to go that direction. They wanted to bring Arnold back. So when I wrote Predators it was to forget that even Predator 2 was made. I thought, 'What Aliens is to Alien, that's what Predators is to Predator. So I'll just tie these two together, so all you'll have to do is watch Predator and Predators, and you'll have a little complete thing.' So yeah, what would the third one be if there was a third one? It'd be Predator 3 I guess... Predators 2... No, I don't know. Predators with a subtitle."

Granted, Rodriguez doesn't know what to call the potential sequel, the idea that the title PREDATOR 3 seems to suggest PREDATORS is his version of the direct and only sequel to Predator.
[close]

....Sorry to beat a dead horse with a stick.

-Rakai'Thwei

Nightmare Asylum

Just because he didn't like Predator 2 doesn't make it non canon. Predator, Predator 2, and Predators fit together perfectly. The only reason he called it Predators and not Predator 3 was because he originally intended for it to be the second movie in the series. He chose to ignore P2 as a filmmaker, but we as fans do not, especially when all three films fit into one continuity.

Predators=Predator 3
The next movie, no mater what it is called, is still Predator 4.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 22, 2011, 12:29:57 AM
Just because he didn't like Predator 2 doesn't make it non canon. Predator, Predator 2, and Predators fit together perfectly.

Not from how I see it. If anything both movies are different continuity from what I've researched based on the interviews. If anything, there are now two different Predator franchises, three if we count the AvP films, we have Predator, AvP and Predators.

So I disagree. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm disagreeing with the majority.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 22, 2011, 12:29:57 AM
The only reason he called it Predators and not Predator 3 was because he originally intended for it to be the second movie in the series. He chose to ignore P2 as a filmmaker, but we as fans do not, especially when all three films fit into one continuity.

You just pretty much backed up what I've said on that part. He intended the movie to be the second in the series. That much we can agree on. But there is one part we disagree on, and that's continuity. See, I follow things differently than what most people here follow. This would include commentary, interviews, creative intent, etc, etc, etc... rather than just what's seen on screen.

Yes, he chose to ignore P2, intending on a new re-built continuity. But you said it yourself, the majority of the fans count this movie as P3 when the fact remains Rodriguez pretty much suggest his movie is the second in the series. If you want to discuss titles, the next Predator movie would be Predator 6, not P4 if you count the "other" movies.

-Rakai'Thwei

Nightmare Asylum

RR only considered this to be P2 because he wrote the script long before the real P2 even came out. He didn't like P2, yes, I understand that. So he wanted to do his own, direct sequel to Predator, ignoring P2, AVP, and AVPR. The thing it, he didn't contradict anything in those movies, and the director Nimrod Antal even stated that this was a sequel to Predator 2. Currently, all the Alien, Predator, and AVP films can fit together in one canon, regardless of whether or not the filmmakers only like certain films. Nothing contradicts anything else yet (Unless you are like me and fail to see any logic in eggbarfing, but that is a discussion for another thread). Now lets wait and see what Prometheus does to that...

Also, about your Predator 6 comment, AVP and Predator take place in the same universe, but are not a part of the same film series. So Predator 6 makes no sense, whereas Predator 4 does. Despite having canonical relations to and shared setting with the AVP films, they are not the same series.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 22, 2011, 02:07:22 AM
RR only considered this to be P2 because he wrote the script long before the real P2 even came out. He didn't like P2, yes, I understand that. So he wanted to do his own, direct sequel to Predator, ignoring P2, AVP, and AVPR.

That we agree on, and that we acknowledge. So we can agree to this, right?

The thing it, he didn't contradict anything in those movies, and the director Nimrod Antal even stated that this was a sequel to Predator 2.

Here is where we disagree. I DON'T consider Antal's word to be final regardless if he directed the movie. I refer straight to the source, and that would be Rodriguez. PREDATORS is his movie. He came up with the idea, he wrote it right after PREDATOR 2 was released, wrote it with the intent that PREDATOR 2 is ignored and his movie was the defined sequel. PREDATORS is his brain child. It never was Antal's.

Currently, all the Alien, Predator, and AVP films can fit together in one canon, regardless of whether or not the filmmakers only like certain films. Nothing contradicts anything else yet (Unless you are like me and fail to see any logic in eggbarfing, but that is a discussion for another thread). Now lets wait and see what Prometheus does to that...

When a film is ignored, there is not much to contradict. But like I said, I don't follow the canon as many, if not maybe all fans here follow it as they see it. I look things a little bit deeper as mention before such as commentary, in-depth material, and interviews, etc, etc... where as most people generally don't.

And from how I see it, it's an entirely different continuity from my standpoint. A simple case of: "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own". You don't agree with my standpoint, and I don't agree with the majority's standpoint. No harm done, right?

As for Prometheus and the egg-barfing... different topic.

-Rakai'Thwei

Nightmare Asylum

I respect your opinion, I just want to throw it out there that I don't look at all 3 in one canon because the majority does it, I do it because I want to. Why would I want to force one out of the series, when they all fit together perfectly and are all enjoyable (yes, some are more enjoyable than others, but that happens with every series).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed