12 (29.3%)
Simply Terrible
21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 953,937 times)

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: Aspie on Aug 19, 2013, 11:20:18 PMPlus The Avengers is on a whole different level of awesomeness and film-making than Pacific Rim.

Pffffffft.

Aspie

Aspie

There's no way anyone can successfully argue that Pacific Rim was better than The Avengers. Critically, fan boy reception, Box Office Gross, there literally might be nothing Pacific Rim did better or even matched The Avengers in.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Pac Rim was better than Avengers AND Avatar.

Aspie

Aspie

mmmhhhmmmm two posts implying the same thing but no reasons listed yet. ಠ_ಠ

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

I'm mimicking you!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Gilfryd on Aug 19, 2013, 11:28:25 PM
I'm mimicking you!
Spoiler
[close]

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Gilfryd on Aug 19, 2013, 11:28:25 PM
I'm mimicking you!
Psshhhhh, I have listed reasons why Pacific Rim was a relatively inferior movie countless times.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Aspie on Aug 19, 2013, 11:25:06 PM
There's no way anyone can successfully argue that Pacific Rim was better than The Avengers. Critically, fan boy reception, Box Office Gross, there literally might be nothing Pacific Rim did better or even matched The Avengers in.

Alright, so it would take a ThisBethesdaSea level of denial to say that Pac Rim was superior to Avengers. I shall concede this. :laugh:

But think, Aspie. We've been so oversaturated by superheroes, we've seen so many varieties, for decades now... so many incarnations it's hard to fathom, but we don't get genuine offerings like Pacific Rim hardly ever, much less that are done with a degree of passion and confidence that even gets them over the line of b-grade trash.

The idea is old as hell, but Del Toro and Co. made it creative in a way. Definitely injected some life into the genre, if anything. That alone is worth so much.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Quote from: RagingDragon on Aug 19, 2013, 11:36:24 PM

Alright, so it would take a ThisBethesdaSea level of denial to say that Pac Rim was superior to Avengers. I shall concede this. :laugh:

But think, Aspie. We've been so oversaturated by superheroes, we've seen so many varieties, for decades now... so many incarnations it's hard to fathom, but we don't get genuine offerings like Pacific Rim hardly ever, much less that are done with a degree of passion and confidence that even gets them over the line of b-grade trash.

The idea is old as hell, but Del Toro and Co. made it creative in a way. Definitely injected some life into the genre, if anything. That alone is worth so much.

Yuuuss...

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

I love The Avengers, but that movie has a pretty weak story. It's just the badass ensemble and awesome battles that blew everybody away.

PR didn't have an all star cast, but it was almost the same thing. Awesome action and visuals. Aliens coming over from another dimension and we need a special defense against them. Hero makes it through the portal just in time after detonating a bomb. Avengers had better humor all around, though.

Not saying PR is better than The Avengers, but it's not so far from Avengers to me.

Quote from: Gilfryd on Aug 19, 2013, 11:26:44 PM

Oh god don't get me started on the most overrated movie ever: Pocahontas In Space

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

They're different films.

I like apples and oranges, I eat both without bothering to wonder 'which one do I like better'.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Avengers had an entire list of movies to build up each character, so they could let their personalities really shine without a bunch of backstory or what have you.

That in itself is also a feat rarely (if ever?) matched in movies, but I think it gave Avengers a clear storytelling advantage for what they were trying to do.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: RagingDragon on Aug 19, 2013, 11:36:24 PM

QuoteWe've been so oversaturated by superheroes, we've seen so many varieties, for decades now

We've never had them join forces on a team before.

QuoteThe idea is old as hell, but Del Toro and Co. made it creative in a way. Definitely injected some life into the genre, if anything. That alone is worth so much.

That was the idea.

But he only injected the visual limb of Pacific Rim, and left other major components of it neglected and/or quivering in the shadow of PR's CGI spectacle.

If anything, del Toro showcased what the genre should look like, as opposed to setting the bar from which a contemporary genre film should aspire to. Pacific Rim was not a well rounded film.

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Aug 19, 2013, 11:40:52 PM

I love The Avengers, but that movie has a pretty weak story. It's just the badass ensemble and awesome battles that blew everybody away.

PR didn't have an all star cast, but it was almost the same thing. Awesome action and visuals. Aliens coming over from another dimension and we need a special defense against them. Hero makes it through the portal just in time after detonating a bomb. Avengers had better humor all around, though.

Not saying PR is better than The Avengers, but it's not so far from Avengers to me.

Oh god don't get me started on the most overrated movie ever: Pocahontas In Space

The Avengers also had chemistry and characterization (from previous films and during the movie itself), strong/fun/memorable performances, and overall more of a complete action film that Pacific Rim was.

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Aug 19, 2013, 11:40:52 PM

The Avengers also had chemistry and characterization amongst the characters, strong/fun/memorable performances, and overall more of a complete action film that Pacific Rim was.
[/quote]

I would say that yeah it's a more complete action film, but those other points chalk it up to the "ensemble" pull of the movie. Yes, they all had their own stories and characterization on the build up to the Avengers, so the movie is easily forgiven for not having a solid story. It's fun as hell and seeing all those heroes AND actors together on screen was just magnificent. IS magnificent.

I'm just saying that aside from the awesome performances and the "Team Up" feel, it's pretty similar.

Aspie

Aspie

Pretty much. They both were summer blockbusters, after all. I'm just discussing the execution of each film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed