The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 193,255 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

So, today is H.P. Lovecraft's birthday! ;D

I haven't read all of his stories (or any of his main ones, really). I just read a few of his first stories, and for some reason never got around to reading any more from my book. But lately, I've been very interested in his style and have expressed a lot of interest in the realm of cosmic horror. I should probably go read some of his more famous stories soon.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It indeed is! I'm probably going to re-read The Call of Cthulhu today.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 20, 2012, 12:42:40 PM

I haven't read all of his stories (or any of his main ones, really). I just read a few of his first stories, and for some reason never got around to reading any more from my book. But lately, I've been very interested in his style and have expressed a lot of interest in the realm of cosmic horror. I should probably go read some of his more famous stories soon.

Happy Birthday, lol.

He was a man truly before his time.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 20, 2012, 12:42:40 PM

Do it!
In fact I suggest reading all his short stories if possible.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Absolutely. The Cthulhu Cycle is spectacular stuff.

While we're there, though, skip The Mound.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Happy Birthday to the 20th century's greatest practitioner of the modern horror tale.

I should really open up that Lovecraft Collected Works book I have. I just stopped and haven't touched it in almost a year.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: AvatarIII on Aug 20, 2012, 01:28:06 PM

The collection I have (this one) has everything he's written. I read up to The Transition of Juan Romero a few months back, but never got around to reading any more.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 20, 2012, 01:43:04 PM
I just stopped and haven't touched it in almost a year.

I know the feeling :-\

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 20, 2012, 01:52:33 PM

The collection I have (this one) has everything he's written. I read up to The Transition of Juan Romero a few months back, but never got around to reading any more.

Wasn't that released just recently? I've read it's the definitive collection of his works.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Have a similar anthology myself. Only it's got a caricature of the author on the cover.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 20, 2012, 01:54:20 PM
Wasn't that released just recently? I've read it's the definitive collection of his works.

Its part of this collection that Barnes and Noble does (its an exclusive to their stores). They do it for a lot of authors. This one was only $20, brand new.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 20, 2012, 02:03:32 PM
Have a similar anthology myself. Only it's got a caricature of the author on the cover.

With what, a gargantuan chin? :D

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

LOL, pretty much:

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Haha. Well I mean how else can you parody the man? Big ears wouldn't suit him.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 20, 2012, 01:54:20 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 20, 2012, 01:52:33 PM

I've had that collection for at least a year, I think it's been around for closer to 2 years, although I only own it as a show piece, it's a bit bulky to read, and I'm not a fan of the bible paper pages, I much prefer the penguin classics annotated versions, which have nearly all his works split into 3 paper backs, with annotations by S.T. Joshi. I would say they include all his best works numbering around 50, as opposed to the almost 70 in the Barnes and Noble edition.
Another good version is the Gollancz set Eldritch Tales: A Miscellany of the Macabre and Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H. P. Lovecraft, which together are even more complete than the Barnes and Noble edition, numbering around 90 stories! (mostly since they also include collaborations with other authors which neither the Penguin or Barnes and Noble collections do)

this site gives a pretty complete listing of every anthology that's been published, and what they contain, for comparison
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/sources/

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

My sides went to other unspeakable worlds.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed