Favorite Alien?

Started by #6.0, Aug 23, 2010, 08:15:07 AM

Not taking design into account, which lead Alien, one important to the story, not cannon fodder was your favorite?

Giger, Alien
19 (50%)
Queen, Aliens
8 (21.1%)
Runner, Alien3
5 (13.2%)
Grid, AVP
2 (5.3%)
Queen, AVP
0 (0%)
Chet, AVPR
2 (5.3%)
Newborn, AR, Do not pick this one to be funny. I just have to let it in. Apperently.
2 (5.3%)
They are all the same to me.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author
Favorite Alien? (Read 18,801 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

I actually don't recall them fretting over air, Maybe I should watch it again.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2010, 01:08:55 AM
QuoteI said they were making decisions and acting way too fast, theyre basically thjrowing plan after plan like if theres a ticking bomb - which is completely FINE taking into consideration that theyre all scared out of their lives and shocked.

The ticking bomb is the fact they're in space and will eventually run out of air.  The plans they make are generally well reasoned based on the knowledge they have to hand.  None of which includes a 24 hour lifespan.

I realize that but I think the air and other supplies would last them for more than a day or two

SiL

SiL

[q
Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 27, 2010, 01:02:37 AM
It didnt and I already said why.
Except I've refuted you every step of the way. First two people got turned straight into eggs; dying; not omniscient. It only falls apart when you start applying characteristics that aren't there.

QuoteWhen body develops and person grows older, so does the brain.
Age alone doesn't make you more intelligent. I'm not seeing how this is a problem -- it's an observable fact. You don't automatically become a rocket scientist when you hit 100.

QuoteOnly this isnt some kid,
1) Its an alien being
2) Its an adaptive organism
3) it matures way faster than human beings
And it's still locked in a room with little stimulus. It's like with the intelligence thing -- just because they're a fast-maturing adaptive organism doesn't mean they can learn all knowledge via osmosis. Nothing's born knowing what an explosion is. The brain cannot comprehend what it doesn't know exists and it can't find out in a vacuum.

QuoteThen what is your point in re: this statement?
People are going to bitch about shit whether it can be explained or not. The 24 hour lifespan would be no worse than any of a half a dozen other things people can already find to complain about, so ever having mentioned it was a waste of everyone's time.

SM

SM

QuoteI actually don't recall them fretting over air, Maybe I should watch it again.

It was scripted and shot but ultimately cut from the film.  You didn't miss anything.

QuoteI realize that but I think the air and other supplies would last them for more than a day or two

They'd already been up a day or two.

Valaquen

Valaquen

So if it's cut from the film ... it didn't happen, right?

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2010, 01:17:12 AM
[q
Except I've refuted you every step of the way. First two people got turned straight into eggs; dying; not omniscient. It only falls apart when you start applying characteristics that aren't there.

I tohught thats what YOU're doing by saying that the alien cant make more eggs. Im simply supporting my thesis by what we see onscreen - he makes 2 eggs, kills 2 other potential hosts and ignores the last one present and doesnt even guard the hive or go dying (if thats in fact what it went to do on Narcissus) to his hive

QuoteWhen body develops and person grows older, so does the brain.
Age alone doesn't make you more intelligent. I'm not seeing how this is a problem -- it's an observable fact. You don't automatically become a rocket scientist when you hit 100.

No but as I said, you do become smarter with age, whether youre influenced by environment or not.

QuoteOnly this isnt some kid,
1) Its an alien being
2) Its an adaptive organism
3) it matures way faster than human beings
And it's still locked in a room with little stimulus. It's like with the intelligence thing -- just because they're a fast-maturing adaptive organism doesn't mean they can learn all knowledge via osmosis. Nothing's born knowing what an explosion is. The brain cannot comprehend what it doesn't know exists and it can't find out in a vacuum.

But I dont believe its bewildered and confused like youre making it out to be. It went hiding into ducts instantly. It knew where to run seconds after the birth. It moved aorund the ship, which is really not that big for hours and built a nest there. Knew where to find the food, knew where to escape their airlock trap and knew how to catch Dallas. Found a good spot for a hive/nest and started acting.

QuoteThen what is your point in re: this statement?
People are going to bitch about shit whether it can be explained or not. The 24 hour lifespan would be no worse than any of a half a dozen other things people can already find to complain about, so ever having mentioned it was a waste of everyone's time.

Yes, but this element takes away from the story when you know that just few hours later the creature would be dead anyway. Thats the simple reason why I dont like it, completely fine if someone else does

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 27, 2010, 01:25:58 AM
[q

I tohught thats what YOU're doing by saying that the alien cant make more eggs. Im simply supporting my thesis by what we see onscreen - he makes 2 eggs, kills 2 other potential hosts and ignores the last one present and doesnt even guard the hive or go dying (if thats in fact what it went to do on Narcissus) to his hive
Technically, in the 1979 release version [that Scott prefers], the Alien does f**k all but kill people.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 27, 2010, 01:31:12 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 27, 2010, 01:25:58 AM
[q

Technically, in the 1979 release version [that Scott prefers], the Alien does f**k all but kill people.

yeah, the TC flows nicely. The alien doesnt capture hosts because there are no eggs or the queen, so he just kills what he considers a threat to him. About the only thing still not fitting is the alien ignoring Ripley

SM

SM

Where was she going to go?

Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 27, 2010, 01:19:25 AM
So if it's cut from the film ... it didn't happen, right?

Depends on what you conisder canon.

Even excluding that - they're in space and spend months/ years in hypersleep.  It only follows they have limited resources.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Well, that bothers me, but I used to reckon it was counting on entering hibernation or something. Really, in the movie, it's not explained unless you pull out the scripted non-movie material, but I usually go by what I see, and I didn't see no dying Alien, and it's hardly mentioned enough by the film makers for me to take it seriously.

QuoteDepends on what you conisder canon.

Even excluding that - they're in space and spend months/ years in hypersleep.  It only follows they have limited resources.
I usually take what the directors say is the intended/preferred versions. TC for Scott and SE for Cameron. A3 is up for grabs.
I figured air would run out eventually, but not after a day or so. Months, yes.

SM

SM

Nothing in any scripted material indicates it was dying.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2010, 01:51:25 AM
Nothing in any scripted material indicates it was dying.
Then I have no clue where the notion comes from.

SM

SM

Riddles.

The June 1978 script has the Alien coming after Ripley.  She locks herself in the locker and the Alien starts mucking about with Jones (still in his box).  She pulls on the space suit, kicks the door open, stabs the Alien with a metal pole, then opens the hatch.

#6.0

#6.0

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 27, 2010, 12:26:58 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2010, 12:17:50 AM
Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 27, 2010, 12:09:10 AM
Kinda does. It's the human condition.
So's violence, that doesn't mean I'm justified going around bashing people.
What I was saying was that people question why Kane leaned over an egg. 1) its an alien lifeform thats never been seen before...or, for that matter, the first life form outside our planet that's ever been seen before, and 2) there are a lot worse things people have stuck their head in. Basically, I put Kanes' leaning over an uncharted, unknown, earth-shattering discovery in perspective.
Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2010, 12:24:55 AM
Why would it be justified?
Why would violence be justified? Don't get me started.

Agreed.

SM

SM

The key word being 'justified'.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed