Favorite Alien?

Started by #6.0, Aug 23, 2010, 08:15:07 AM

Not taking design into account, which lead Alien, one important to the story, not cannon fodder was your favorite?

Giger, Alien
19 (50%)
Queen, Aliens
8 (21.1%)
Runner, Alien3
5 (13.2%)
Grid, AVP
2 (5.3%)
Queen, AVP
0 (0%)
Chet, AVPR
2 (5.3%)
Newborn, AR, Do not pick this one to be funny. I just have to let it in. Apperently.
2 (5.3%)
They are all the same to me.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author
Favorite Alien? (Read 18,664 times)

SM

SM

QuoteIt's a murky situation when many may not take the DC as being legitimate at all, in which case, the Alien made no eggs.

Either way it needed to be dealt with before it killed the crew - no matter what it's motives were.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 27, 2010, 12:09:10 AM
Kinda does. It's the human condition.
So's violence, that doesn't mean I'm justified going around bashing people.

#6.0

#6.0

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2010, 12:17:50 AM
Depends on why.

SM

SM

Why would it be justified?

BANE

BANE

What I was saying was that people question why Kane leaned over an egg. 1) its an alien lifeform thats never been seen before...or, for that matter, the first life form outside our planet that's ever been seen before, and 2) there are a lot worse things people have stuck their head in. Basically, I put Kanes' leaning over an uncharted, unknown, earth-shattering discovery in perspective.
Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2010, 12:24:55 AM
Why would it be justified?
Why would violence be justified? Don't get me started.

SiL

SiL

It's still a stupid thing to do, and it's still something that the movie gets ridiculed over. The Alien living 24 hours wouldn't hurt any.

BANE

BANE

QuoteIt's still a stupid thing to do, and it's still something that the movie gets ridiculed over.
There is a very fine line between curious/adventurous and stupid, one which is oftentimes blurred and/or which differs between people. I personally don't consider it stupid, others do....but whatever. I was just saying why it wasn't, in my mind.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2010, 12:08:04 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 26, 2010, 11:32:27 PM
Nostromo isn't really that big, at least imo and judging bu the sets, the scale and the blueprints.
Between the miles of vents and cavernous landing gear rooms, yeah, it was pretty big.

QuoteSure, its grand but nothing so enormous that could confuse a creature to the point where it would keep getting lost.
Which would be why I never mentioned getting lost ... ?

You alluded to it being confused and the ship being big, so I thought thats the implication

QuoteI didnt say it did.
And I didn't say it wasn't fearless or heartless, so what's the beef ... ?

I know, but being selfless adds a lot. That means it doesnt care and wont back out to kill you if it wonts. It means you cant scare it or terrorize it, it adds so much and makes it a creature different than animals or people and imo, far more terrifying

QuoteI thought you didn't like Cameron's explanation that it was an infant and that youre behind the 24 hours lifespan theory, thus the alien is an old grampa by the end of the movie
O'Bannon called it a child long before Cameron -- I've got no beef with it because it's true in the sense that the thing's only 24 hours old. Its experience is incredibly limited. Regardless of where it was physically, mentally it was still young.

So then it explains why it didnt seem to act with logic and intelligence, which is the main point of this debate. Still, I dislike the idea of it being having a child's mentality, whether Obannon or Cameron says it. Not only it goes against biology (you grow older, your mind develops as well and it makes no sense for the brain to be the only part thats not growing or developing) but I also just dont like the idea that the terrifying creature of Nostromo is a baby

QuoteHow so? Just because it didnt get others?
Because it sooner abandoned Parker and Lambert than try and relocate them, yes.

I dont think that says that he couldnt turn others into eggs, but if one chooses to draw such big conclusion from it its fine

QuoteOverall it looks like they jumped the gun and all died and blew up the ship because of their overeagerness and if they just waited a day it would be all over. They would all live except for Brett perhaps (again depends), the creature would be dead the the ship wouldnt get nuked (!)
They had a limited air supply.

They couldnt wait a day and had to all risk their lives and blow up the ship instead?

QuoteBesides -- what you're suggesting is even more ridiculous than any way you can think of spinning the Alien's life expectancy. "Hey, there's an alien onboard the ship! Let's assume it has a limited lifespan and just sit around, hope that works!"

Thats not what Im saying, Im saying it all happened EXTREMELY quickly. It all had to have happened in less than 24 hours and they were all dead at the end and the ship was blown to pieces. Thats what I call being overeager. They acted way too fast and jumped the gun with the whole situation. If alien wasnt just a "monster for a day" it would change everything. Being rational and waiting and carefully rethinking the actions wouldnt make a difference then

QuoteKane's character was shown from the beginning as being overly excited about it all, it was curiosity, excitement and desire to discover something new.
And? People still ridicule it.

I personally never heard anyone doing so. Maybe they would if not the way Scott presented Kane to us prior to the scene. We knew he was crapping his pants from the idea alone of the discovery of some alien being so it was natural that he was the first one to go everywhere and to touch stuff

QuoteWell, thats the classic horror rule
See above.

Its still a movie not a reenactment, it has to follow certain rules so I wouldnt understand such complaints

SM

SM

QuoteWhy would violence be justified? Don't get me started.

No, why would SiL be justified in going around bashing people?

I can think of a few reasons right this second, but none that would stand up in court.

QuoteThey couldnt wait a day and had to all risk their lives and blow up the ship instead?

What would sitting around for a day doing nothing but sucking up resouces achieve when they had no idea if the Alien had a limited lifespan?

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2010, 12:36:36 AM
What would sitting around for a day doing nothing but sucking up resouces achieve when they had no idea if the Alien had a limited lifespan?

Again, Im not saying they should, Im saying they did so much and threw themsleves into so many situations in ridiculously short timespan. Now, Im not criticizing the story, hell no, Im just saying that if the 24hr Alien would be taken as canon, their quick decision taking (one after another virtually) would make them look foolish and would be their undoing

SiL

SiL

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 27, 2010, 12:34:59 AM
It means you cant scare it or terrorize it,
That's covered in "fearless".

QuoteSo then it explains why it didnt seem to act with logic and intelligence,
It acted with both just fine.

QuoteNot only it goes against biology (you grow older, your mind develops as well and it makes no sense for the brain to be the only part thats not growing or developing)
Um. No it doesn't?

You lock a guy in a room for eighteen years with limited stimulus and you'll get an 18 year old who knows Jack and shit, has no concept of maturity, no social skills, etc.

The brain as an organ grows. The mind doesn't without stimulus.

QuoteI dont think that says that he couldnt turn others into eggs, but if one chooses to draw such big conclusion from it its fine
That's drawing a big conclusion -- but saying the Alien doesn't act with any logic or intelligence, despite evidence to the contrary, isn't? :-\

QuoteThats not what Im saying, Im saying it all happened EXTREMELY quickly. It all had to have happened in less than 24 hours and they were all dead at the end and the ship was blown to pieces. Thats what I call being overeager. They acted way too fast and jumped the gun with the whole situation. If alien wasnt just a "monster for a day" it would change everything. Being rational and waiting and carefully rethinking the actions wouldnt make a difference then
A parasitic organism exploded from a guy's chest. They go looking for it to get it off the ship -- how is that illogical? Their plan is to move systematically and methodically -- how is that illogical? When they find it's grown much larger and killed another crew member, they realise they have to get it off the ship lest it come for them all -- how is this illogical?

QuoteIts still a movie not a reenactment, it has to follow certain rules so I wouldnt understand such complaints
You're not getting the point at all, here, are you?

Valaquen

Valaquen

And curiosity, and love, and desire, all part of the human condition, but we don't outright punish them. You're jumping a thick line between curiosity and violence.

SM

SM

QuoteAgain, Im not saying they should, Im saying they did so much and threw themsleves into so many situations in ridiculously short timespan.

They only had a short timespan out of the freezers.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL link=topic=34467.msg844509#msg844509 date=1282870201
quote]So then it explains why it didnt seem to act with logic and intelligence,
It acted with both just fine.

It didnt and I already said why. Wasted hosts, ignored last chance for survival. But we're going in circles here

QuoteNot only it goes against biology (you grow older, your mind develops as well and it makes no sense for the brain to be the only part thats not growing or developing)
Um. No it doesn't?

When body develops and person grows older, so does the brain.

QuoteYou lock a guy in a room for eighteen years with limited stimulus and you'll get an 18 year old who knows Jack and shit, has no concept of maturity, no social skills, etc.

Only this isnt some kid,
1) Its an alien being
2) Its an adaptive organism
3) it matures way faster than human beings

QuoteThe brain as an organ grows. The mind doesn't without stimulus.

Grows, but not only in size, it also develops, learns, understands more. A kid would learn how to make sound and crawl on its own

QuoteI dont think that says that he couldnt turn others into eggs, but if one chooses to draw such big conclusion from it its fine
That's drawing a big conclusion -- but saying the Alien doesn't act with any logic or intelligence, despite evidence to the contrary, isn't? :-\

Im basing it on the fact that it doesnt follow any logical patterns, wastes hosts, doesnt guard the nest and ignores the last potential host. Again - going in circles

QuoteThats not what Im saying, Im saying it all happened EXTREMELY quickly. It all had to have happened in less than 24 hours and they were all dead at the end and the ship was blown to pieces. Thats what I call being overeager. They acted way too fast and jumped the gun with the whole situation. If alien wasnt just a "monster for a day" it would change everything. Being rational and waiting and carefully rethinking the actions wouldnt make a difference then
A parasitic organism exploded from a guy's chest. They go looking for it to get it off the ship -- how is that illogical?

This part is not and I didnt say anything is illogical. I said they were making decisions and acting way too fast, theyre basically thjrowing plan after plan like if theres a ticking bomb - which is completely FINE taking into consideration that theyre all scared out of their lives and shocked. My point is that if the alien is a 24 hrs thing that it makes them look like they killed themsleves by acting sop fats. If the alien isnt a 24 hr thing, thats different because even if theyd spend more time thinking it through the monster would still be there and they HAD to act

QuoteIts still a movie not a reenactment, it has to follow certain rules so I wouldnt understand such complaints
You're not getting the point at all, here, are you?
[/quote]

Then what is your point in re: this statement?

SM

SM

QuoteI said they were making decisions and acting way too fast, theyre basically thjrowing plan after plan like if theres a ticking bomb - which is completely FINE taking into consideration that theyre all scared out of their lives and shocked.

The ticking bomb is the fact they're in space and will eventually run out of air.  The plans they make are generally well reasoned based on the knowledge they have to hand.  None of which includes a 24 hour lifespan.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed