Which Omnibus Do I Choose???

Started by Ash 937, Aug 05, 2010, 07:05:22 AM

Author
Which Omnibus Do I Choose??? (Read 2,213 times)

Ash 937

Ash 937

I'm doing a project for school that explores the various science-fictions themes in the first 3 Alien films (Abortion, Greed, Sacrifice, etc.).  I would like to expand this project to cover some of the graphic novels but when I went to my local bookstore they only had Omnibus Volumes 1 and 3 available.  I was thinking of ordering a single volume (can't afford more) from Amazon but I don't know which volume has the best written and most diverse themes that I can use for the project.  Which one would you recommend? Any suggestions?

SM

SM

'Abortion'?

Anyway get the first one.

And get this and all

Ash 937

Ash 937

LOL.  Yeah, I touched on the theme of abortion as it pertained to the Newborn in Alien Resurrection even though my main focus is the first 3 films in the series.  Thanks for the recommendation, SM.  I saw Volume 1 at my local bookstore...is there any reason why this particular Volume stands out as the best on for what I'm doing? 

Corporal Hicks

The majority tend to cover greed and sacrifice in someway. Volume 1 has Outbreak & Nightmare Asylum & Female War. Outbreak is all about obtaining the Aliens for greed's sake. Nightmare Asylum probably isn't useful to you, it's more about crazy General's. Female War is definitely involving sacrificing. Plus, it's a good start to the expanded universe.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Okay, thanks guys.  I think I'm going to pick up Volume 1 in that case.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

You're actually probably better off with Volume 3, which has a bunch of excellent stand-alone stories like Labyrinth, Salvation, and Sacrifice.

Corporal Hicks

That's true. Salvation, and Sacrifice both cover sacrifice. But do any really cover greed in it? It's been a while since I read 3.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Advent/Terminus does, albeit briefly.

Labyrinth literally has an abortion in it.

SM

SM

There probably isn't an Alien comic that doesn't cover greed to some extent because they mostly revolve around mad scientists and/or their bosses trying exploit the Aliens for some commercial gain.

redpred

redpred

yea man pick up vol 3 its my fav when it came to the alien Omnibus.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Aug 06, 2010, 02:24:31 AM
There probably isn't an Alien comic that doesn't cover greed to some extent because they mostly revolve around mad scientists and/or their bosses trying exploit the Aliens for some commercial gain.
I considered that, but a lot of the "mad scientist" ones either have the mad scientist being just totally crazy, or actually seeming to do their experiments to "further science" or because they actually think they can control the Aliens.

Like Gen. Spears in "Nightmare Asylum", he wasn't doing his thing for financial gain, nor was Kleist or Church in "Rogue" and "Labyrinth" respectively. Nordberg in "Stronghold" definitely was, Edington in "Music of the Spears" wasn't, and I can't really remember about the scientists in "Earth Hive" (although they probably were to some degree :P ). I'm pretty sure greed was involved in "Purge", too. I'm not sure greed was a factor in "Tribes", I don't think it was.
I know "Glass Corridor", "Havoc", "Cargo", "Pig", and "Kidnapped" cover greed, and now that I think about it I think "Salvation" might as well near the beginning and none of those follow the "mad scientist" trope.

randy4321

randy4321

I dont understand these omnibus books. can someone explain?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The Omnibus books are big compilations of comics that were originally released as single issues. There's a whole bunch of them and you can see a list of what each one contains in this thread. :)

randy4321

randy4321

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 06, 2010, 06:03:28 AM
The Omnibus books are big compilations of comics that were originally released as single issues. There's a whole bunch of them and you can see a list of what each one contains in this thread. :)
Ohh I see, thanks! are they good comics? like storyline, art and all?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Depends on which ones you read, haha. I'm a fan of the stuff in Aliens Omnibus 3, I think a lot of it is among the best Aliens comics to date.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed