Is Vista Worth It?

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Jul 19, 2007, 02:40:49 PM

Author
Is Vista Worth It? (Read 4,514 times)

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

I've heard that there are a lot of compatibility issues with Vista, and that it is a system hog. I say this because I'll probably be getting a new laptop soon, and so I don't know whether to go for Vista Home Premium or XP Pro.

Darkness

Darkness

Vista obviously. Just download the compatibility check software from Microsoft and it'll tell you want hardware etc is and isn't compatible with Vista. If you have any peripherals, just check the manufacture site for Vista drivers. Software, on the other hand, is another matter. A lot of software hasn't been updated for Vista though.

It's certainly faster than XP for me but that's because I've got a good setup. I don't know how it does on a laptop.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Maybe. I just went to a tech shop, and they say that its better to use XP, it runs faster, and you won't get and compatibility issues.

Darkness

Darkness

Well, then, they must be right.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Meh. Its your words (or possibly loads of others, in which case my opinion might change), or theirs, who do work with XP and Vista every day. Then again, if you have Vista pre-installed, its going to wokr anyway. And software I'm not to worried about. its main;y the fact that its a resource hog.

Darkness

Darkness

Depends on your laptop specs. Anyway, what model is the laptop you're interested in? Where you buying it?

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Either form Comet, or a company that sells on eBay (a proper PC company). I'm thinking 2 gig RAM and up, 1.8 ghz, 120 gig hard drive and up. Something like that.

Darkness

Darkness

2GB RAM would be good. If you're wanting the Aero interface, you need a good graphics card and laptops don't usually have them unless they're really expensive. You'd be able to run Vista Basic fine, though.

Thing is now, though, computers/laptops will say on the site/ad if they are Vista ready or Vista Premium Ready.

Cellien

Cellien

I have Vista on my laptop and like it WAY more than XP (on my 2 desktops and work computer).  If you are buying a new computer or building a computer with new parts.. go with Vista.. If you are running an old computer with old parts, run XP.

Vista will eventually catch on and XP will be history... Happens with all Windows versions. 

x-M-x

x-M-x

Vista 32-bit is heh... it's alright but they need to tune down on the system requirements in future....  because to run vista "smooth"  you need atleast 2GB of ram LoL 1Gb is ok. (not a prob for me)

give it a few more months then Driver support for 32-bit and 64-bit will be better,

but it's just ridculious that an operating system need's that type of power to run, (which most people dont have)

in future "Microsoft" should focus more on stability rather then eye candy on it's future Operating systems  :P

Oh and i also plan to get vista ultimate 64-bit soon! woooooo  :D

and 1 more thing... i hear you gotta watch what you download, this "DRM" thing and microsoft able to see what's on your laptop or computer,

or is that a myth? LoL 8)

Cellien

Cellien

^ BS.

I have a laptop.. (mind you laptops have crap videocards most of the time) and it SHARES 1 gig of memory for main memory and video memory and Vista runs PERFECTLY with all the graphic bells and whistles.  It's a cheapo $500 laptop from Acer.

People just like to dis Vista, and they have never tried it most of the time.  I personally have less problems with it than I do XP.

slipknotpredator

slipknotpredator

I love vista but i have never run it in my pc, i have a 2.66 procesor, 1.5 ram, 256 video, 80 hard drive. do you think vista would run properly in my pc? ???

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: slipknotpredator on Jul 19, 2007, 05:51:44 PM
I love vista but i have never run it in my pc, i have a 2.66 procesor, 1.5 ram, 256 video, 80 hard drive. do you think vista would run properly in my pc? ???

Depends how old your hardware is only for the fact of driver compatibility.  Your specs are fine, infact it's better than my laptop which like I said, runs Vista perfectly.  :)

slipknotpredator

slipknotpredator

Great! maybe i showld try vista, i bought the pc last year, but i added the 256 video card and the ram, next thing i´ll do is buying more hard drive, and maybe next year buying a laptop

Cellien

Cellien

For me.. I wanted to try Vista and was ready for a new laptop.. So I bought a laptop with Vista preinstalled.  Based on having my laptop for the last 6 months, I would definitely switch over to it.  It works for me.. If you play lots of games on PC you may want to wait or do a dual boot HDD of XP and Vista.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed