James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 728,606 times)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: SM on Nov 08, 2010, 03:50:41 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 08, 2010, 03:25:31 AM
Wait. Wait. I have to ask: why are you still arguing this un-winnable battle? I for one, liked Avatar, I thoroughly enjoyed it- it's clear that a lot of people here don't like it, and that's fine with me; all of their points are valid. But that's not going to make me enjoy the movie any less- is it going to make you?

Try leaving this alone.

It's not even really a matter of liking the movie or not - it's a matter of what happened in the story and how characters are portrayed.  Cameron obviously wanted a clear line between 'good' and 'evil'.  It's baffling why anyone would want to even try and argue that the mining company were 'good'.
Oh, I totally disagree with the RDA being good in any sense, but that's not what I was talking about at all. I just meant his constant argument about "Why so many AvP Galaxy users don't like Avatar" and attempts at trying to convince people that it was a good movie.

SM

SM

I didn't really see it as an attempt to convince anyone it was good - more that it was deeper than people were giving it credit for, and that there's some ambiguity about RDAs motives.

Which there aren't.

Come to think of it, I guess it was an attempt to get people to like it...

predxeno

predxeno

To like Avatar...that wasn't my intention at all.  This was:

Quote from: SM on Nov 08, 2010, 03:57:25 AM
I didn't really see it as an attempt to convince anyone it was good - more that it was deeper than people were giving it credit for, and that there's some ambiguity about RDAs motives.

Which there aren't.

Except for the "Which there aren't" part.  I'm not trying to convince anyone to like the film, just showing why I didn't like it and how we shouldn't automatically think the RDA is evil just cause the film twists the perception of them that way.  Jake saw past the way people told him about the Na'vi, shouldn't we do the same with the RDA?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Yeah, to make people think there was much more to the movie, leading to further enjoyment and convoluted analysis.

Come to think of it, I guess it was an attempt to get people to like it...

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 08, 2010, 04:00:15 AM
Jake saw past the way people told him about the Na'vi, shouldn't we do the same with the RDA?
Because it's a fu*king movie, and that's the way it was intentionally written.

I recommend fan-fiction for you, buddy-boy.

SM

SM

QuoteExcept for the "Which there aren't" part.  I'm not trying to convince anyone to like the film, just showing why I didn't like it and how we shouldn't automatically think the RDA is evil just cause the film twists the perception of them that way.  Jake saw past the way people told him about the Na'vi, shouldn't we do the same with the RDA?

Because when the RDA powers-that-be are presented with:

a) Continue towards a diplomatic solution with the Na'vi
or
b) Blow ten shades of blue shit out of them

- they chose option b.

They are defined by their actions, and are continually shown to have very little in the way of redeeming features.

Jake in regards to the thundercats, is given a biased opinion by one guy who would love nothing more than to just wipe them out.  He gradually finds out that they aren't the savages he was lead to believe they are.

predxeno

predxeno

Setting people on fire while they're helplessly trapped sounds "savage" to me.  And it's not like Parker wanted to attack the Na'vi, they were the ones who killed his people first.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 08, 2010, 04:16:26 AM
Setting people on fire while they're helplessly trapped sounds "savage" to me.
What a cowboy thing to say.

Geez, next this guy is gonna try to make MNU seem like heroes.

predxeno

predxeno

No, I'm not...cause I don't know who the MNU are.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Much better movie they're from..

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

http://www.411mania.com/siteimages/koobus_41162.jpg

So humble. So brave. We should learn from what Koobus has taught us.

I have seen the future--and I have learned!

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Nov 08, 2010, 04:25:01 AM
http://www.411mania.com/siteimages/koobus_41162.jpg

So humble. So brave. We should learn from what Koobus has taught us.

I have seen the future--and I have learned!

Rarely do I laugh so hard at a post!  :D

SM

SM

QuoteSetting people on fire while they're helplessly trapped sounds "savage" to me.  And it's not like Parker wanted to attack the Na'vi, they were the ones who killed his people first.

If the company mutha'uckas weren't 'ucking with the Na'vis shi' in the first place, they'd still be living mutha'uckas.

If you walked on to some elses land and started digging it up, and got smacked in the face when you didn't leave and then firebombed their house - everyone is still going to think you're a c**t.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: SM on Nov 08, 2010, 04:56:28 AM
If the company mutha'uckas weren't 'ucking with the Na'vis shi' in the first place, they'd still be living mutha'uckas.
How many mutha'uckas?

SM

SM

Too many to count, mutha'uckas.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed