James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 728,782 times)

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

It doesn't look like thundercats to me. And that picture looks very well done.

SM

SM

Watching the trailer the first thing that popped into my head was "Thundercats".

Seems I'm not alone.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Am I alone in thinking this looks genuinely cool?

SM

SM

Doubt it.  There's a lot of Cambo apologists around.

As I'm sure I've said, I reserve judgement on the believability of the Thun-... "Na'vi" until I see them in the context of the film.  Based solely on the trailer, they're underwhelming.

Cellien

Cellien

Picture looks cool.

Quote from: SM on Sep 03, 2009, 12:18:47 AM
Doubt it.  There's a lot of Cambo apologists around.

Aaaaand just as many anti-Camerites.

SM

SM

Possibly.  Though I wouldn't include myself among their number.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I think that the Na'vi design is a bit unimaginative and unoriginal, kinda like blue elves with tails, but the film itself looks kick-ass. Good CGI, seems like an interesting story, awesome looking action scenes, and it has space marines. I LOVE space marines.

SM

SM

Never woulda guessed.

Cellien

Cellien

I'm not in love with the Na'vi designs either (I'm also a space marine junky heh).  Even when I saw the old Na'vi concept art I wasn't too keen on the design.  I will say though from my short 15 min of experience with them, they grow on you quickly.  At least emotionally.  They still look very blue though.  :P

My quote on the Na'vi design from a while back:

Quote from: Cellien on Nov 23, 2008, 02:40:08 AM
Quote from: Darkoo on Nov 22, 2008, 08:13:30 PM
Beautiful Na'vi Concept Art from James Cameron's Avatar!
http://www.firstshowing.net/img2/avatar-navi-concept-NOV-03.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/11/22/beautiful-navi-concept-art-from-james-camerons-avatar/

Kinda meh to me.  :\

SM

SM

(Da Be Dee)

Cellien

Cellien

I hear they will use that song for the credits for this movie and the Smurfs. 

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

I just read a interview in the German magazine 'TV Movie'.
There is a little article about Avatar in there, TV Movie correspondent Helen Höhne always makes interviews with Directors and actors, she met Jimmy Boy and saw 20 minutes of Avatar.

Its translated into German so i'm gonna translate it back into English as good as i can:

Höhne:
Mr Cameron, after your gigantic hit 'Titanic' everyone expects a new Cinematic miracle, does the movie deliver what it promises?

Cameron: The high expectations and the hype surrounding the project is a blessing and a curse at the same time. On one hand, 'Titanic' allowed me to get the funding to make 'Avatar' happen, on the other hand i have to protect my reputation, that's not easy...

Höhne: Why did it take so long to realize 'Avatar'?

Cameron: I had the idea to make 'Avatar' 14 years ago, long before 'Titanic', but the technique just wasn't ready at the time.

Höhne: Where did you get your inspiration from?

Cameron:I was a huge Sci-Fi fan even when i was a kid, i read a lot of books, draw hundreds of Aliens and UFO's. All that came together in 'Avatar'.

Höhne:
Was you always gonna be a filmmaker, or did you have other plans?

Cameron:No, essentially i wanted to be a astronaut because i always dreamed of foreign planets and worlds. 'Avatar' is basically all my dreams i had when i was a child come true.

Höhne:What was the biggest challenge?

Cameron:For this movie, we combined Motion capture with life action footage for the very first time in 3D. No one every did that before. We created something entirely new.

Höhne:How would you describe 'Avatar'?

Cameron: It's a lovestory, within Ex marine Jake gets in love with a Alien warrior and discovers Pandora for what it really is: A beautiful new world, where there is a Harmonie between the ancient population and nature itself.

Höhne:
The population of Pandora, the Na'vi, are blue colored, what was the idea behind that?

Cameron:Blue is my favourite color, and i think the color is very spiritual and it reminds of distant worlds. That was important to me, because Pandora is a different world, a moon, that man kind cannot breath on. That's why they have to use an Avatar, a man/Na'vi hybrid, to stay there.

Höhne:And why did you call the Planet 'Pandora'?

Cameron:That comes out of the Greek mythology. Whoever opens Pandora's box, unleashes all human evils. The only thing that's left is hope.

Höhne:The movie seems to be a huge spectacle, how do you see the future of 3D?

Cameron:
Very positive. The last years showed us that the viewers love 3D, and therefore are ready to pay an extra buck. In the beginning, everyone worried about the old, traditional 3D glasses that are dated now, but even there the technique made a huge advantage over the last few years. 3D is a new, wonderfull movie experience!

Helen Höhne closing words: To be true, I've seen 20 minutes of Cameron's artificial world, and it looks very, very fake...

So basically, she was underwhelmed as well. She saw the footage in his studio in Santa Monica by the way.

Cellien

Cellien

That last line is so over the top that it made that whole interview lose any credit with me.  "Very very fake..."  Yeah... ok.  It's one thing to claim it doesn't look as real as Cameron said it would, it's another to say its "Very very fake" when it's undeniably cutting edge stuff from arguably the best effects studio out there.  I would imagine she'd think LotR and King Kong also look "Very very fake" by default then.  But, thanks for the interview! :)

Moody

Moody

Quote from: Cellien on Sep 04, 2009, 05:37:07 PM
That last line is so over the top that it made that whole interview lose any credit with me.  "Very very fake..."  Yeah... ok.  It's one thing to claim it doesn't look as real as Cameron said it would, it's another to say its "Very very fake" when it's undeniably cutting edge stuff from arguably the best effects studio out there.  I would imagine she'd think LotR and King Kong also look "Very very fake" by default then.  But, thanks for the interview! :)

Maybe it's a rough translation and he didn't have time to find the correct words.  ???

Cellien

Cellien

Maybe, but adding another "very" for good measure definitely doesn't help. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed