Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 408,350 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Nov 13, 2018, 01:16:27 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Nov 13, 2018, 01:02:45 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 13, 2018, 12:51:24 AM
My grandparents recorded Star Wars a couple of decades prior pay-per-view on their top loading VCR.  We fast forwarded through the ads with the plugged in remote control.

Well you had to have something to watch. At a certain point, there came the national anthem and then everything went to static. Kids nowadays will never know the joy of manipulating a 15ft 100lb antenna, just to be able to watch looney tunes for an hour...one day a week...at the a**crack of dawn. Or fighting to cue a tape up in time to record a show, except the tape is in the wrong spot, and you can't get it to switch from SP to SLP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmSL41CAR6o

Yep. It's a wonderful new age. No more having to go up on the roof and yell back and forth while adjusting the signal so you wouldn't miss the next  touchdown.

But of course, you could never get it just right. A damn bird would land on something and screw it all up again.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 12, 2018, 04:40:06 AM
Here's a golden oldie, but one that still bugs me routinely.

That you have to wait so many months for a movie to come out on home video. Yeah, I know there's a lot of work, legal stuff and timeframes involved. But really, sometimes it seems like it just takes forever. Do it all at the same time, I say. If I don't want to sit through a noon showing for $8, I'll just go buy the thing for $24 and be done with it. There, I'm one guy that just paid 3 tickets worth for one person. That's good money.

Anyone who wants to see it on the big screen can go right ahead. People who want to watch online or Netflix can pay to do that. But seriously, months? I feel like by now, with all the money and technology, that sort of wait should be laughably archaic. It's time to evolve alittle.

Do what I do, quit going to the movies and just watch them at home.
Take a break whenever you need to, not having to pay when taking a leak, no overpriced snacks, no annoying co-viewers and always the best seat in the house.

Personally, I like have a "schmoke" with my movies. That's my main personal problem (until I can get some high quality edibles).
That and no breaks. I vaguely remember breaks during movies. They came around with snacks and you had time for pee break.
Think was during the period of the first original Turtles movies and Batman Returns. I think Last Action Hero was the last one I saw in a regular movie theatre before the movie complexes appeared.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 13, 2018, 04:59:27 AM
Take a break whenever you need to, not having to pay when taking a leak, no overpriced snacks, no annoying co-viewers and always the best seat in the house.

I've said the exact same thing on here several times. I just don't go to the theater anymore. I've only seen 4 films on the big screen and my biggest gap was between Disney's Aladdin and Godzilla 2014. I will go back one more time to see Godzilla 2: KOTM and possibly KVG. Unless they make Godzilla 3, that's probably going to be it for me.

I just buy them when they're released on bluray. I just wish it didn't take so long.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 13, 2018, 05:05:41 AM

I've said the exact same thing on here several times. I just don't go to the theater anymore. I've only seen 4 films on the big screen and my biggest gap was between Disney's Aladdin and Godzilla 2014. I will go back one more time to see Godzilla 2: KOTM and possibly KVG. Unless they make Godzilla 3, that's probably going to be it for me.

I just buy them when they're released on bluray. I just wish it didn't take so long.

What happens when the wait is long and full of spoilers? time for hypersleep?

Baron Von Marlon

I usually watch some web-dl version and buy the bluray afterwards.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 13, 2018, 05:18:59 AM

Sorta. I (try) avoiding certain websites. Did it pretty well with Covenant.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 13, 2018, 05:18:59 AM

I wholeheartedly embrace spoilers. As far as I'm concerned go ahead and spoil me, spoil me rotten. The day will come when I've seen the movie a dozen times anyway. It's like anything else you buy, knowledge is power. The more I know about a product, the better buying decisions I can make.

As for hypersleep? I just do it the old fashioned way. I sleep without a blanket, and I keep the house cold. I have a diminutive trumpeter on staff. On release day, he comes over and blows it like the horn of gondor.

The Old One

The Old One

Great things going under the radar. f**king Sigh

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 13, 2018, 06:42:40 AM
Great things going under the radar. f**king Sigh

The last time someone said that about him, he whacked them with a Stradivarius.

The Old One

The Old One

What?

I'm referring to SWERY's new game. Nothing's touched me emotionally like that since... LOTR?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 13, 2018, 01:02:45 AMAt a certain point, there came the national anthem and then everything went to static. Kids nowadays will never know the joy of manipulating a 15ft 100lb antenna, just to be able to watch looney tunes for an hour...one day a week...at the a**crack of dawn.

I can still remember when TV wasn't 24 hour, and there were only four channels. Getting up early in the morning and seeing the girl playing tic-tac-toe with the creepy-ass doll.

Oh, and tracking on a VHS. F*cking tracking. No idea what it was for, just that you had to do it.

One thing I legitimately miss is my old VCR that had a reverse play facility. It rewound the tape but at normal play speed, which meant you could turn any film into that "Backwards" episode of Red Dwarf, it was hilarious.

Huggs

Huggs

When you bite into your last strawberry cereal bar at the same instant the odor of fresh cat sh*t hits your nose. And it seems like you just bit into some fresh cat sh*t.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

:laugh:

Sorry.

TheSailingRabbit

Not sure why I love Christmas but can't stand being cold. I get cold too easy. Sometimes I can't tell if the floor is freezing or it's just me.

Huggs

Huggs

It's the floor. But it'll be you if you don't get some socks on. Because of the intense heat and humidity during the summer months here, I almost always go barefoot at home. Unfortunately, I become so accustomed to it that it carries over into winter. I can tolerate it for awhile, but I'll pay for it until it gets to be too uncomfortable. Keeping those feetsies warm makes all the difference in winter, especially if you want good sleep. I need to change that this year. I'm tired of freezing my feet off over stupidity.

Local Trouble

Did I mention the skull?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed