Mechanics Needing To Be Changed

Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 21, 2010, 02:27:51 AM

Author
Mechanics Needing To Be Changed (Read 78,922 times)

Gladius_

Gladius_

Losing points is one thing but one of my pet peeves about ranked games is the fact that one team kill counts as 25 deaths or something close to that amount. Losing points makes sense, taking one kill off your record makes sense, but k/d should only show how many people you've killed and how many deaths you have. When some factor like this lowers it by an insane amount it makes very little sense and makes it highly inaccurate.

Recently I was in a game, I check my k/d after each match, last match I was 3.5 so my k/d went up. The match after that I was 2.1 but killed the same guy twice. Why? He felt it'd be a brilliant idea to follow me around everywhere and if I heavy attacked a guy from behind, it would also be a good idea to stealth kill and take said kill while I'm in the process of doing a second heavy. The end result is him being hit and twice he was at low enough health that I killed him.

The end result? My k/d went down by .2. Doesn't seem like much but that's hardly the point. This isn't a huge issue but it boggles my mind why such a design exists in the game in the first place. It makes the entire thing horribly inaccurate.

AintGotTimeToBleed

AintGotTimeToBleed

Agreed, really hating the team kill aspect of this game.

It's bad enough that my deaths aren't even tracked, whats up with that?

Gladius_

Gladius_

Quote from: AintGotTimeToBleed on Feb 27, 2010, 01:23:29 AM

Agreed. I would really like to see my deaths too.

AintGotTimeToBleed

AintGotTimeToBleed

Quote from: Gladius_ on Feb 27, 2010, 01:25:37 AM
Quote from: AintGotTimeToBleed on Feb 27, 2010, 01:23:29 AM

Agreed. I would really like to see my deaths too.

I would think that it would be a basic feature in a game like this.

Gladius_

Gladius_

See, what really bugs me about what I said above is this. I'm obsessive compulsive. So I start thinking. "What should my k/d really be at? What is everyone else's really at?" I mean, everyone from time to time accidentally kills a teammate. Which, as we know, counts as "many deaths" despite it being one teamkill. So everyone's k/d is completely off. My k/d probably isn't too far off the actual mark. I mean, I hardly kill my teammates but some people's k/d might actually be a lot higher. I just find it weird that a team kill will screw with the k/d ratio of all things. Wouldn't experience make more sense?

Nutlink

Nutlink

I miss the traditional Name/Points/Kills/Deaths/Ping setup.  :'(

VEF214

VEF214

Predator Hunt can mean two things.

1.) A Predator is on a hunt.

2.) A hunt is on for the Predator.

Predator Hunt usually turns into the latter choice, with the Predator being shot down without making any kills. I thought the whole purpose was to try to kill the Predator while feeling like you're being hunted, not kill the Predator like he's a turkey in a turkey shoot.

I'm about to propose some changes, so here we go.
_____

1.)

Increase the initial hunt timer.

1:20? Let's change that to 3:00 please. 1:20 causes the Predator to rush to get kills and can cause sloppiness which could result in him getting killed.

"Hmmm, I wish I had more time to plan my attack against those three Marines."

With 3:00, the Predator would have plenty of time to gather weapons, plan attacks, and get more kills to extend his hunt. It's always an energy filled first minute when you spawn as the Predator, let's make it so it doesn't end prematurely.

Kills adding 1:00 is fine, leave it.
_____

2.)

Remove the Smartgun.

It's an "I'm Predator now" gun that breaks the whole feeling of the game mode. The mechanics of the Smartgun are what make me say just leave it out. Tracking non-moving targets and even tracking targets behind walls is a bit ridiculous. Can it, I say.

Remove all Smartgun spawns and replace them with Scoped Rifles.
_____

3.)

Decrease overall maximum player count for all maps.

Too many Marines on the map can panic the Predator and break the whole feel of the game mode. Decreasing the maximum player count makes being the Predator more enjoyable seeing as you actually feel like you could go in for a trophy or stealth kill and live, instead of relying on ranged weapons and quick melee attacks.

Jungle:

Maximum players 8.
Decrease to a maximum of 6.

Pyramid:

Maximum players 12.

Refinery:

Maximum players 12.

Ruins:

Maximum players 18.
Decrease to 12.

Temple:

Maximum players 12.
Decrease to 8.

Gateway:

Maximum players 18.
Decrease to 12.
_____

4.)

Increase Marine spawn time.

Instead of five seconds, increase it to ten or something higher. Marines repopulate around the map like rabbits even when you've killed tons of them as a Predator, give the Predator a break.
_____

5.)

Remove hunt duration extension restraint.

After so many kills as a Predator your hunt timer stops getting time extensions for your kills. Remove this, come on, if a Predator is good and deserves his time, let him have it. It's no fun when you're kills don't bring in any more time.

"Oh, this is my last minute as Predator." *makes three more kills in that minute*  :'(
_____

6.)

Increase target score and time limit.

Increase target score from 20 to 30 and time limit from 15:00 to 30:00. Make the games longer and have a higher target score, it can only do good. Besides, if you've waited for a long time to get into the game you don't want to be kicked out after fifteen minutes.
_____

7.)

Tweak Predator weapon spawns.

As of now, the Smart Disc is the best choice for the Predator to use. It doesn't use energy, it's a one hit kill, it's accurate, and has good range. Combi Sticks are considered hard to use by most and often leave Predators open to counter fire without achieving a kill. As the Plasma Caster and Proximity Mines use energy, they are unfavorable because that energy could be used instead to use a Health Shard.

I say only one Smart Disc spawn, in a central area. Change all other Smart Disc spawns to Combi Sticks. Leave Plasma Caster and Proximity Mine spawns alone.
_____

8.)

Turn off friendly fire or make team kills have a penalty.

This would orient bored Marines towards killing the Predator instead of each other. Friendly fire can get quite tiresome after a while if someone decides to go rampant. A penalty for team killing would be nice...um, yeah.
_____

In my opinion, all these changes would make for a more atmospheric and enjoyable game of Predator Hunt. Instead of the only kills popping up on the screen being "Marine X *Pulse Rifle* Predator X," you would see some Predator kills in there as well.

Thoughts?

Crabface

Crabface

I noticed this the first time I played predator hunt. The predator doesn't stand a chance if the marines know it's approximate location. Seems like there should be a map from the original Predator movie. A large open jungle plenty of trees and dark spots; maybe even a grass hut or 2 to put weapons in.

Adey

Adey

yeah seriously needs fixed, i became pred on pyramid map 8 times ina row and only managed 2 kills, cos every time ran around the corner a marine was there, his motion tracker picks you up way before you walk around the corner, so he waits for you but cos you cant see him until its to late your dead, and when you focus jump him to melee him to death he just shoots you and kills you even when he hasn't blocked cos everytime i tried this i jumped him from behind while he was stationary and he didn't block, yet the attack missed or hit but didn't knock him down and even when i light attack him three or four times he still kills me its rediculous.

AJL

AJL

1. Initial hunt timer...
2. Kill timer extension...
3. Timer extension limit...

In my opinion the Initial hunt time should be some ~2 min... Each kill should
extend your time by ~1 min and there should be no extension limit (Exept..
you should never have more than the initial 2 min...)

4. Smartgun...

Smartgun should remain of course... But it should be changed (And not just
in hunt but everywhere) It should be made into a powerfull WEAPON instead
of the X-Ray tube what it is now...

- It should be more accurate/do more damage (about equal to PulseRifle)
  - It should have a lot more ammo (300-500 rounds per clip)

- It should not draw enemy outer lines and let you see through walls..
  - It should not detect things when they are not moving...

5. Player counts...

Either all hunt games should be limited to ~6 players... Or they should add
in some of hunter prey ratio like in AvP2... (Like: 3 hunters if more than 12
players, 2 hunters if more than 6 and otherwise 1...)

6. Friendly fire...

Friendly fire should remain of course... But they should add some penalties
to it... Like for example every time you kill team member you get some 30
second no hunter penalty (can't become hunter during that time...)

John_Kimble

John_Kimble

Agree with most stuff. Thought pred hunt would end up being my favorite mode, but i was wrong. I rarely play it and the times i do, i really dont like it that much. Apart from all these changes, IMO motion trackers should beep on friendly marines too. As its now, its so easy to know where the pred is. Having more beeps on your motion tracker would definitely make the mode more challenging and a lot more tense.

Viem

Viem

Predator hunt definetely needs some fixing, especially the timer... 01:20 is seriously TOO little time for a serious hunt. I would say 3 mins should be minimun and time should change according to the number of players in the game and the size of the map...

spinksy

spinksy

Being an massive Predator fan this was one of the game modes I looked forward to most - but was utterly dissapointed with it, I enjoy AvP 2010 overall more than most but just feel Predator Hunt is as said in this thread to hard for the Predator.

I agree that the smartgun needs removing, the max players needs reducing, maybe the Predator should have a spear straight away to make it alittle easier. even have all weapons (except disc) and no recharge points so that once you've used the plasma caster and mines you have to fight melee or something..anything to make it more worth while being the Predator

IceBReaker

PROBLEM: "Predator Hunt" Time limit for Predator:
*Most of the Aliens Vs. Predator Players are not happy with this Time limit decision for Predator."Predator Hunt" was supposed to be a game mode to make players FEEL Like Predator and FEAR the Predator.
Time limit wasted all of this. Players controlling Predator have to rush into their enemies trying to Kill anyone at any cost, just to expand their Time Limit. Predator was supposed to be a Stealth hunter, a Scarier invisible Menace. With this time limit, you guys on Rebellion are making the Players feel like a "simply" Youngblood Predator.
When playing with Marines, I admit we have a little tension feel in the game. But not too much. Also, as Marines, we can simply hide or run until the Predator Time ends. This make "Predator Hunt" a little boring game mode.

SOLUTION: Add a Enable/Disable Option for Predator Time Limit.
* So simple. Just add this option. So we have all the liberty to choose what we like most. Players that liked the time limit, turn it on. Those who do not liked, turn it off.

GrimyGhost

GrimyGhost

as it is at the mo it kinda ruins the feel of being Pred.. you have to sucide run into a group of marines just to get a bit more time as Pred.. please patch this in.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed