Mechanics Needing To Be Changed

Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 21, 2010, 02:27:51 AM

Author
Mechanics Needing To Be Changed (Read 78,930 times)

Barminator89BE

o god stop with the f**king modern warface comparison enough ! !

Lionhart

Lionhart

Quote from: Barminator89BE on Feb 05, 2010, 10:00:03 AM
o god stop with the f**king modern warface comparison enough ! !

Pal , Incase you dident read what the title of this thread was ( CHANGING THE GAME ) thats what its called , SO that means people come in here and give opinions , If you dont like it than change the freakin thread simple as that.

DamianPage

DamianPage

I demand you learn to play Preds or take that pic off your sig.
Honeslty I dont need more health My enemies do.
I top games. And my best class is Pred. Im an Elitis jerk when I play I make fun of you and tell you where I am.
DO I NEED MORE HEALTH LOLLOLLOLLOL!!!!

HutzDani

HutzDani

simple fact is the reason why you allways see predators topping lists si their melee's are to powerful and to quick.

I have been batterd down by a predator several time after doing a tail attack, smashed wrything to the floor no chance to move then you get the shit light melee'd out of yah self. . . . and the ailen attacks with 1 claw at a time WHAT the f**k ? and it does abou as much damage as whiping a predator with a damn towel thats been twisted up.

The ailen should be able to tear up any prey thats in arms reach easly as we have no long range weapons, in the movies aliens make mince meat out of marines, so mcuh for the rock paper scissors mechanics.

Marines are perfect if oyu ask me firepower is fine health is fine the only thing is they could have a slightly faster walk / run speed.

the Ailen & predators need alot of work doing to them simple as that.

Black-Tooth

I'm not too bothered about the Stealth kills. My enjoyment of tearing someone's head off outweighs the negatives of being vulnerable.

However, I really, REALLY want to be able to crouch! Playing as the Marine I've often found that I lose my enemy as they run past objects and around/under corners where being able to crouch will mean I can continue to shoot at the enemy without having to drop from the high position I am in and make myself vulnerable.

Also, as the Predator I get quite frustrated when I run behind a box/crate to try and protect myself from Marine fire but I'm unable to duck and take cover, so instead I just stand there and get my face blown off.

And it makes ambushing people a bit harder when you can't crouch and hide so well.

Also, when I play and there's some fighting going on somewhere else on the map, I can see the blood through the walls. I don't know if this is to help us in multiplayer to find fights but it's a bit odd.

And just a niggle, I'd prefer if the Predator didn't have those electric currents over him when he moves, but rather you can see shapes shifting instead, like in the films and previous games. I can sometimes the Predator's electrical jass even when he runs around the cover I can see it through walls.

AJL

AJL

Quote from: Black-Tooth on Feb 05, 2010, 11:25:18 AM
However, I really, REALLY want to be able to crouch! Playing as the Marine I've often found that I lose my enemy as they run past objects and around/under corners where being able to crouch will mean I can continue to shoot at the enemy without having to drop from the high position I am in and make myself vulnerable.

Also, as the Predator I get quite frustrated when I run behind a box/crate to try and protect myself from Marine fire but I'm unable to duck and take cover, so instead I just stand there and get my face blown off.

And it makes ambushing people a bit harder when you can't crouch and hide so well.

But as we ALL know, nobody in their right mind could possible want to Crouch in game like this ;D

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I have to agree with everyone saying that this shouldn't be compared to Call of Duty or other FPS series games.

Call of Duty is done. Infinity Ward make those games and make them well, and there's no way that AvP will compete with them if it's the same game with Aliens and Predators. What an AvP requires is its own atmosphere and its own mechanics, and that's what we've got. I guarantee that if we got a CoD-style game, people would go back to MW within weeks... because Infinity Ward do that kind of game better.

Rebellion have crafted a game with its own atmosphere and mechanics, and in the process it's become something Infinity Ward can't touch in terms of character. I'm incredibly happy for this game to be disassociated with Infinity Ward, not because I don't like CoD games (because, f**k me, I love them to bits), but because it's completely removed from what AvP should be. Different settings, different combatants, different atmosphere, different games.

AvP as we've played it certainly isn't perfect, but my idea of improvement isn't killing its character using examples from CoD. Try to think about whether a mechanic can be objectively improved or whether you're not comfortable with it because it's new to you, and because you want something familiar (such as something from CoD).

Insofar as my opinion counts for anything, no mechanic really needs to be altered completely. It'd be good for fans of the previous games if the Alien options for wall-walking were either 'modern' or 'classic', where 'classic' uses the 'walk-on-everything-as-long-as-you-hold-down-the-button' mechanic. The Predator secondary weapon mechanic was a bit strange getting used to, but ultimately I think it's for the best. Marine gameplay is really solid, woiuldn't change a thing.

The only change I'd make is balance. If Predators do more damage than Aliens, fine, but I think it's a bit much that they knock Aliens on their asses so easily, yet Aliens have such a hard time doing that to Preds. So I'd equalise them in that regard.

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 05, 2010, 11:54:12 AM
The only change I'd make is balance. If Predators do more damage than Aliens, fine, but I think it's a bit much that they knock Aliens on their asses so easily, yet Aliens have such a hard time doing that to Preds. So I'd equalise them in that regard.

Attack them from behind. They'll never even get the chance to turn around.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Of course, but that's not always possible.

Consider that Predators have a vision mode that points out Aliens and that Aliens make a growling noise as they approach. I never get snuck up on as a Predator for those very reasons.

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 05, 2010, 02:39:21 PM
Of course, but that's not always possible.

Consider that Predators have a vision mode that points out Aliens and that Aliens make a growling noise as they approach. I never get snuck up on as a Predator for those very reasons.

That's the challenge.  :D

The Alien only makes the growling noise every once in a while. When I sneak up on Predators I do so sprinting -- even when the Alien is growling, I'll be directly behind the Predator before he's recognized the sound. Most of the time. And when the Alien is inbetween growls, I move so fast the Predator is dead/already in combat with me before I growl again.
Yadig? That's my style. Dunno if that's yours, but works fine for me.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

/shrugs

I have the additional setback of playing this on a rig that can only barely handle it. That might factor into it a bit, since I so often end up overstepping my targets or getting timing wrong due to performance issues.

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 05, 2010, 02:44:19 PM
/shrugs

I have the additional setback of playing this on a rig that can only barely handle it. That might factor into it a bit, since I so often end up overstepping my targets or getting timing wrong due to performance issues.

Hm, yeah. It does require a high framerate and immediate response from your input, since it's gotta be well-timed. I missed my targets at first too (still do, sometimes), but after practicing I've nailed the timing down quite well.

plagiarize

plagiarize

to all the Aliens that keep getting knocked on their asses by predators.

try using your quick attack. if you see a predator winding up their heavy attack, claw interrupts it. i rarely get knocked down by a pred.

mavox1

mavox1

i thought the atmosphere of the demo was great, sets the mood etc.. most of the preds weaponary sounds great, even though its missing certain elements, but whatever..

my biggest gripe is the PULSE RIFLE, for christ sakes mates why does it have to be that close, yet not right??... i knew INSTANTLY it was off, just enough to make it wrong..its decent mind you, but you would think in 2010 we would be able to replicate exactly that sound..its more of an echo violent sound in the movie aliens

my brother came home from school and heard me playing upstairs, and called it out from downstairs "Its not right, the pulse rifle, its off"   :-\

what do you guys think...i wont comment on the alien yet, since im stuck on that lol

everything else is decent or good, with the exception of the iconic sound of the PR and some just missing effects

Brother

Brother

It's the 30 years later sound, the story takes place 30 years after Aliens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed