Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,359 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

How about this?

The_Nostromo_Files

The_Nostromo_Files

Hadn't seen that. Thanks. Lots of clever work on that design. I enjoy the unlit original, but find the razz-ma-tazz looks great on the TMP version. Before DSC came around, I remember seeing lots of nice takes on the original design. Lots of old artwork to mine going forward. That being said, I even have a fondness for this "bad little motor-scooter"...

EJA

EJA

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 28, 2021, 08:27:16 PM
How about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLgZ2-Ev8NY

That's incredible. Better than what we got on screen, IMO.

ace3g

ace3g

Teaser for Picard S02

More teasers for other shows

EJA

EJA

Q coming back could certainly be interesting.

I've wondered, if the new shows bring the Klingons back, how should they be presented? I say they should just utilize the TMP/TNG look. I'm afraid I'm among those who positively hated the redesign on Discovery.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

So I've been (re-)watching all of the Star Trek movies lately. In the past I'd seen all six TOS movies and the three Kelvin movies, but this marked my first time seeing the TNG movies. As far as the shows go, the only one I'm really familiar with is TOS (which I've seen a bunch of random episodes of and always have a blast with whenever I catch one, but I haven't seen it beginning to end). Watching the TNG movies for the first time has me interested in finally checking out the TNG series one of these days. I didn't really love any of the TNG movies, but I'm excited about the group of characters presented in them and would love to see them in a more "space adventure of the week" setting rather than the big action spectacle pieces that the films were. As for the Kelvin stuff, Beyond is actually my favorite of the three of those; it almost feels like it could be a random episode of TOS, with the characters on their five year mission on a strange alien world.

But, anyways, my ABSOLUTE favorite Star Trek film is easily The Motion Picture, which I'm aware isn't exactly the most popular opinion. TMP just does it all for me though. It's gorgeous, it's a more cerebral Trek without a real "bad guy," V'Ger is endlessly fascinating... I adore it. Anyone else feel this way about TMP?

And anyone have any particular recommendations on where I should take my Trek viewing next, once I finish my movie marathon?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 03, 2021, 12:22:35 PM
So I've been (re-)watching all of the Star Trek movies lately. In the past I'd seen all six TOS movies and the three Kelvin movies, but this marked my first time seeing the TNG movies. As far as the shows go, the only one I'm really familiar with is TOS (which I've seen a bunch of random episodes of and always have a blast with whenever I catch one, but I haven't seen it beginning to end). Watching the TNG movies for the first time has me interested in finally checking out the TNG series one of these days. I didn't really love any of the TNG movies, but I'm excited about the group of characters presented in them and would love to see them in a more "space adventure of the week" setting rather than the big action spectacle pieces that the films were. As for the Kelvin stuff, Beyond is actually my favorite of the three of those; it almost feels like it could be a random episode of TOS, with the characters on their five year mission on a strange alien world.

But, anyways, my ABSOLUTE favorite Star Trek film is easily The Motion Picture, which I'm aware isn't exactly the most popular opinion. TMP just does it all for me though. It's gorgeous, it's a more cerebral Trek without a real "bad guy," V'Ger is endlessly fascinating... I adore it. Anyone else feel this way about TMP?

And anyone have any particular recommendations on where I should take my Trek viewing next, once I finish my movie marathon?

To add on to this:

I just reached Into Darkness in my rewatch and it is honestly so much worse than I remember it being. Honestly, as rough as the TNG movies can get, I think I'd actually say this is worse. There's no sense of adventure or exploration or, hell, even simple science-fiction. It's just mostly a crass, ominously militaristic action movie centered on/around Earth.

About the only things good about it, I'd say, are the cast playing the Enterprise crew, and the fact that it ends with the Enterprise's five year mission beginning and thus guaranteeing that the next movie would actually see the characters, you know, exploring space. In a Star Trek movie. Wild concept, I know.

I look forward to revisiting Beyond. If it is as fun as I remember it being in the theater, it should wash the taste of this one out of my mouth.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

There's not really much exploration in the movies, period. They don't even leave the solar system in your favorite one.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

But that one at least deals with some interesting sci-fi concepts and has a sense of discovery and earnestness to it. :D

I can get behind The Voyage Home as well, despite being set mostly on Earth (and in the 'real world,' to boot!) because I really like the critical eye it has on humanity's past (present?) and the baked in optimistic outlook on how we can/should be better. Plus, the whale probe is just a damn cool concept.

The_Nostromo_Files

The_Nostromo_Files

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jun 04, 2021, 09:50:27 PM
There's not really much exploration in the movies, period. They don't even leave the solar system in your favorite one.
It was all about exploring "the human condition," not necessarily outer space, don't you know.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 03, 2021, 12:22:35 PM
I didn't really love any of the TNG movies, but I'm excited about the group of characters presented in them and would love to see them in a more "space adventure of the week" setting rather than the big action spectacle pieces that the films were.

* Eyes narrow at someone saying they didn't love First Contact * though, to be fair, if you weren't already attached to the Borg.

QuoteAs for the Kelvin stuff, Beyond is actually my favorite of the three of those; it almost feels like it could be a random episode of TOS, with the characters on their five year mission on a strange alien world.

Yeah, Beyond is definitely the best of the Kelvin stuff. It's a damn shame it didn't do better. It made far more sense and felt more like Star Trek than the previous two.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I LOVE First Contact, and I am full aware of it's faults, from perhaps the greatest commentary I have ever listened to, repeatedly because it always sends me.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah First Contact was mostly pretty cool. I didn't love the Borg side of things (though it made me VERY interested in their appearances in TNG proper, where they're likely given much more time to properly do their thing) but I thought the actual time travel incident surrounding First Contact with the Vulcans was very fun.

I also really loved the idea of the whole idea of the Nexus in Generations (that feels right at home in the fun wonky space phenomena I love in my ST).

I just feel that, by and large, the TOS films overall work better as actual movies than the TNG ones do. Though like I said, I have seen quite a few TOS episodes whereas I haven't yet for TNG, so that might also play into things in ways I'm not realizing.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The TNG movies were written largely by TV writers, and Generations and Insurrection feel like really, really long episodes. The exception was Nemesis, which still isn't exactly John Logan's best writing.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm a big fan of Ron Moore, but I do think his writing style is better suited for an episodic form. I thought the same thing about the BSG TV movies, compared to the series proper.

I plan on checking out For All Mankind soon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed