All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,375 times)

razeak

razeak

I like TOS, TNG, some of DS9, and the first 4 TOS movies. I'm struggling to remember the TNG movies save for Generations (I saw it in theatres). It was okay.

I also like the first JJ Trek. The 2nd was meh. I didn't like the last one much at all.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: razeak on Jan 09, 2020, 02:23:16 PM
I like TOS, TNG, some of DS9, and the first 4 TOS movies. I'm struggling to remember the TNG movies save for Generations (I saw it in theatres). It was okay.

I also like the first JJ Trek. The 2nd was meh. I didn't like the last one much at all.

I like the first JJ Trek too actually.  Generations I found quite disappointing though. And First Contact was a tad overrated at the time, I would say.

Give me Wrath of Khan, Search For Spock (underrated imo) and Voyage Home anyday, which can be purely viewed as a trilogy, even though it wasn't officially released / labeled as such.

Alien³

Alien³

I thought the first was okay and Into Darkness was utter garbage.

Beyond was the best of the 3 new Treks. The biggest issue it had was having yet another villain who was out for revenge. But aside from that it was a solid movie with great chemistry amongst the cast. I really liked that it was set during the 5 year mission compared to the other two movies which were not. Was a nice return to the trekking of Trek.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

The Motion Picture is best Trek.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Alien³ on Jan 09, 2020, 02:52:49 PM

I thought the first was okay and Into Darkness was utter garbage.

Beyond was the best of the 3 new Treks. The biggest issue it had was having yet another villain who was out for revenge. But aside from that it was a solid movie with great chemistry amongst the cast. I really liked that it was set during the 5 year mission compared to the other two movies which were not. Was a nice return to the trekking of Trek.

I concur with this assessment. I thought the reboot was a clever way to do it and made sense within the rules of the universe. But it still had some daft decisions. I'll never get over them letting Kirk keep the Enterprise. It was so f**king stupid. Into Darkness was just pure trash. But Beyond I thought was more more within the spirit of Star Trek and genuinely good.

razeak

razeak

The final nail for me was the Beastie Boys super weapon. Its so cool and immeasurably stupid at the same time.

It delved into 90s budget action a few times before that. I wasn't impressed with much of the design aesthetic. The cast is the best thing.

It has a lot of high points though. I can admit that.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 09, 2020, 03:59:59 PM
But Beyond I thought was more more within the spirit of Star Trek and genuinely good.

It was also made good by the fact one didn't need to see Into Darkness to understand the plot. Heck, you probably didn't even need to see the first JJ movie.

Quote from: razeak on Jan 09, 2020, 04:21:08 PM
The final nail for me was the Beastie Boys super weapon. Its so cool and immeasurably stupid at the same time.

I thought that was silly but was fitting. Perhaps it was the Beastie Boys that made it feel stupid, I mean had it be something Picard was utilising they would have been blasting out Heart of Oak.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I think about 85-90% of Into Darkness is really, really good, but the last stretch where it just repeats Wrath of Khan and ends with a meh chase scene bring it down a fair bit.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Qo'nos is very Star War-ish in Into Darkness.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: razeak on Jan 09, 2020, 04:21:08 PM

Ugh. This so much. Didn't the intended original director say they wanted to make Star Trek Beyond more like Guardians of the Galaxy?

I'm with you brother. I'd rank them:

Star Trek >>>>> Star Trek ID > Star Trek Beyond

With the first film being the only one I own on blu.

The Old One

The Old One

I feel strongly that Beyond is the best of the new ST films.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Admiral Raan was in it.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Beastie Boyz songs were in the first two as well.

SM

SM

Beastie Boys songs should be in every movie.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 09, 2020, 10:12:49 PM
Beastie Boyz songs were in the first two as well.

True, but it felt more organic, natural if you will when it was young Kirk stealing his Dad's classic car and turning on the radio, trying to outrun a cop. For me, in Beyond, it was a bit of an eyeroll.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed