All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,568 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't think the Alliance was supposed to take place until Kirk's era. If I remember rightly (and to be fair, this is an issue with Enterprise too), we weren't supposed to have encountered cloaking technology until Balance of Terror.

SM

SM

In ten years they'll be able to beam to a ship light years away in warp.  Could they even do that in TNG?

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Yes, that's strange. Especially as it was mentioned in an article, that the producers apparently don't plan to let the Romulans appear because of canon reasons, as the first time Romulans and romulan cloaking technology were seen by the Federation was in Balance of Terror.

I'm puzzled, they are apparently aware of that issue but still introduced the Klingons having cloaking technology at that time...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Sep 29, 2017, 10:13:49 AM
In ten years they'll be able to beam to a ship light years away in warp.  Could they even do that in TNG?

That's from the Kelvin-verse though, isn't it? And that's a formula that Spock provides from the future of the Prime timeline? Unless that's something they do in TOS that I've completely forgot.

SM

SM

Yeah I guess he did get it from Scotty - but was it ever used?  Was Scotty still alive after the transporter beam thing when Spock went back in time?  I thought I was fairly well versed in a lot of Trek, but it sounded a bit hokey when Spock brought it up in the first one.

It was interesting that this seemed to be the first time was actually changed via time travel instead of everything being and nice and neat.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Sep 29, 2017, 10:28:11 AM
Yeah I guess he did get it from Scotty - but was it ever used?  Was Scotty still alive after the transporter beam thing when Spock went back in time?  I thought I was fairly well versed in a lot of Trek, but it sounded a bit hokey when Spock brought it up in the first one.

I just Memory Alphaed it and looks like Trek 09 was the first time it was mentioned. As far as we know Scotty was still alive in the Prime timeline after Relics so I'd guess it was something he came up with after Relics and Spock brought back with him. I don't know about the EU, though. Would need to check Beta.

QuoteIt was interesting that this seemed to be the first time was actually changed via time travel instead of everything being and nice and neat.

I really liked this mechanic. I thought it was a decent way to get into these reboots. Thought it was pretty smart.

skhellter

skhellter

The Klingon's motivation for the war felt very
"Make America Great Again"-ish
to me.

Anybody else got that vibe?

There's xenophobia there, they dont want to blend with the other races of the federation. They dont want to lose their culture.
They are setting out to unify their people and make "klingons great again".

These scripts were written way before Trump and Brexit...
but it really stuck out to me. 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I thought I picked up on the same. I really love Burnham's line of "don't confuse race with culture".

skhellter

skhellter

I'm a bit confused by fans who are blaming Michael for starting the war.

Spoiler
She found a klingon. She got attacked by him and she killed it in response.
This was in Federation space and she had a right to self defense.

Then she "tried" to pull a Vulcan Hello..... But Georgiou stopped her.

When she kills K'tuvma, the war has already begun and it's a retaliatory act.
[close]

So... How did she start the war? :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I suppose
Spoiler
her killing the Torchbearer was the technical justification that KT needed to crack on
[close]
. Even if she was justified.

Mr. Xenomorph

Mr. Xenomorph

I liked it. It felt very Bad Robot. When they were in the desert in the first episode, it actually reminded me of Rey in the Force Awakens, which I thought was...interesting...given this is Star Trek. The goggles even looked similar. I tutored a girl named Michael once, so her name didn't bother me.

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 29, 2017, 11:54:02 AM
I suppose
Spoiler
her killing the Torchbearer was the technical justification that KT needed to crack on
[close]
. Even if she was justified.

Even then, she was just an unwilling pawn in KT's plan :P
the entire federation was.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

No arguments there.

SM

SM

Quote from: skhellter on Sep 29, 2017, 11:08:22 AM
The Klingon's motivation for the war felt very
"Make America Great Again"-ish
to me.

Anybody else got that vibe?

There's xenophobia there, they dont want to blend with the other races of the federation. They dont want to lose their culture.
They are setting out to unify their people and make "klingons great again".

These scripts were written way before Trump and Brexit...
but it really stuck out to me.

There was a review on The Guardian that mentioned the Trump angle.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Makes sense, the Klingons have always been a slate to paint different contemporary villains onto.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed