All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,563 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I forgot that Beyond was coming. Going by the reviews, I'm surprise that it's a good movie. I thought the movie would be bad given that they pick a random choice of a director that never did Sci-Fi and the trailer did suck. Can't wait to see it this weekend!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I rewatched Star Trek and Into Darkness last night in prep. God, I forgot how f**king stupid these films are. I love the cast, I enjoy the characters, the character moments and a lot of the design but Jesus Christ, the plots and specific story points are just so f**king stupid.

I really hope Beyond is actually intelligent. All the positive reviews have really made me excited for it. 2 more days, 2 more.

Vermillion

Vermillion

They are made for he simple minds of today's youth. 

Too much thinking and their brains get bored.

Sadly. This movie will suck large.
Battleship.  Just like Battkeship.
You sunk it. 
Again
Rihanna. 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

93% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and being described as TOS-like. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

You're forgetting that the other two had fresh ratings as well.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I am forgetting.  :'( Hopes slowly disappearing.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Into Darkness was so bad i'm pretty amazed it has a fresh rating. The first one I gave a pass because I thought it had some good qaulities to it.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 21, 2016, 02:12:34 PM
What was wrong with the other 2? I never was a huge Star Trek fan, more Star Wars, but the last 2 Star Treks looked amazing in the theater! Going to see this one too! I like all the actors too. The Space scenes and exoplanets all look super. It's like they took out the geekiness and inserted coolness lol.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 21, 2016, 05:35:37 PM
What was wrong with the other 2? I never was a huge Star Trek fan, more Star Wars, but the last 2 Star Treks looked amazing in the theater! Going to see this one too! I like all the actors too. The Space scenes and exoplanets all look super. It's like they took out the geekiness and inserted coolness lol.

I personally only have a few issues with them.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

ST 09 was a great reboot of the series. It took the series into a new direction and I'm glad that it did. The series was kinda dead for a while after Enterprise ended and Nemesis. The original series is still on DVD, Blu-Ray and other streaming websites. It's not like JJ was like "Everything from the original series is gone! You have to deal with my Star Trek for now and forever!".

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 21, 2016, 05:40:53 PM

I personally only have a few issues with them.

It's the little things that mounted up -

Building the Enterprise on the Earth.
Making Kirk first officer.
Letting Kirk keep the Enterprise.
Spock being on a planet close enough to see Vulcan's destruction that easily.
Marooning Kirk on said planet that can't be far off dying itself.
The whole Khan secret.
Khan putting his crew in torpedoes.
Warp travel time.
etc

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Must resist reading up any more on the film. Just spoiled something because I'm impatient.   :'(

g2vd

g2vd

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 22, 2016, 07:54:13 AM
It's the little things that mounted up -

Building the Enterprise on the Earth.
Making Kirk first officer.
Letting Kirk keep the Enterprise.
Spock being on a planet close enough to see Vulcan's destruction that easily.
Marooning Kirk on said planet that can't be far off dying itself.
The whole Khan secret.
Khan putting his crew in torpedoes.
Warp travel time.
etc
Don't forget Kirk's totally unprofessional and unrealistic behavior for who he is, I mean like you said who in their right mind would honestly let him keep the Enterprise the flag-ship of the Federation?

That's kinda the problem they just don't really have a identity anymore.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Saw this today. Not sure how I felt really. Plot was simplistic and it did feel like a TOS episode which I guess was always the idea. But the villain was weak and his motivations not strong enough for me. Plus the unrealistic action scenes and overblown CG were not particular engaging. Also the Beastie Boys thing from the trailer has not gone away and directly copied Mars Attacks of all things! I must admit I expected more from a script by Simon Pegg.

That said, there are some excellent character moments and the cast just nail these characters every time. Urban as always is excellent and Pine looks more like Shatner every time. Pegg clealry knows his stuff in terms of lore and there are multiple prime references and fans of 'Enterprise' will certainly appreciate some of the call backs. The tribute to Leonard Nimoy is subtle and respectful and without meaning to joke, logical. There's a bit right at the end that if your a fan of the original series will certainly make something go wrong with your eyes. The same goes for Anton Yelchin. A minor edit was made at the end as a tribute to him and this also works.

Overall it's as silly as the first two but enjoyable nonetheless. But as a 50 year celebration I feel they could have done so much more with this.

BISHOP 93

BISHOP 93

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jul 22, 2016, 08:35:49 PM
Saw this today. Not sure how I felt really. Plot was simplistic and it did feel like a TOS episode which I guess was always the idea. But the villain was weak and his motivations not strong enough for me. Plus the unrealistic action scenes and overblown CG were not particular engaging. Also the Beastie Boys thing from the trailer has not gone away and directly copied Mars Attacks of all things! I must admit I expected more from a script by Simon Pegg.

That said, there are some excellent character moments and the cast just nail these characters every time. Urban as always is excellent and Pine looks more like Shatner every time. Pegg clealry knows his stuff in terms of lore and there are multiple prime references and fans of 'Enterprise' will certainly appreciate some of the call backs. The tribute to Leonard Nimoy is subtle and respectful and without meaning to joke, logical. There's a bit right at the end that if your a fan of the original series will certainly make something go wrong with your eyes. The same goes for Anton Yelchin. A minor edit was made at the end as a tribute to him and this also works.

Overall it's as silly as the first two but enjoyable nonetheless. But as a 50 year celebration I feel they could have done so much more with this.
This. It's biggest weakness is the villain which Is a shame when you have someone like Elba playing him. Especially the whole "here let me show you around the place and what I'm doing". That and you never get the feeling that there's an entire enterprise crew marooned on the planet. The whole controversy with sulu is stupid it's all over and done with in about 15 seconds and was lovely

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed