All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,560 times)

First Blood

First Blood

How about making Star Trek more like Star Trek. :P

Why they want to sacrifice the franchises identity is beyond me.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't understand how using aliens is losing the series identity.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Basically they want a GofG movie but obviously they can't have that. So instead they're gonna mess with and destroy another space franchise to get what they want...whether anyone wants that or not.

I think it will go beyond simply using more aliens.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Not seeing it -

QuoteA new report claims that part of the reason behind the creative changes on Star Trek 3 is because Paramount Pictures is looking to emulate the character- and creature-driven, high-concept sci-fi adventure feel of James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy film.

They want a character and create driven story? Sounds perfectly fine to me. Nothing that isn't Star Trek in there. They've always had non-humanoid aliens in the show. The Tholians and Species 8472 spring to mind. And in terms of being character driven,  nothing inherently non-Trek about that either.

Still not seeing the issue that any of that would non-Trek.

And - I know, it's Wikipedia - the Wiki page defining high concept points at Trek:

QuoteHowever, it is important to differentiate a high-concept narrative from an analogous narrative. In the case of the latter, a high-concept story may be employed to allow commentary on an implicit subtext. A prime example of this might be George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, which asks, "What if we lived in a future of totalitarian government?" while simultaneously generating social comment and critique aimed at Orwell's own (real world) contemporary society. Similarly, the Gene Roddenberry sci-fi series Star Trek went beyond the high-concept storytelling of a futurist starship crew, by addressing 20th century social issues in a hypothetical and defamiliarising context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-concept

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Hubbs on Dec 17, 2014, 02:44:34 PM
More lame news, Star Trek 3 may go down Guardians of the Galaxy route  ::)

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/16/paramount-reportedly-wants-star-trek-3-to-feel-more-like-guardia/

Hey here's an idea, why not make the next Star Trek film like say...Star Trek, or is that too stupid?

As if the last Star Trek Die Hard hybrid wasn't enough -_-

Considering GotG had Star Trek-like vibes to it, I'm not seeing the issue.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Quote from: Hubbs on Dec 17, 2014, 02:44:34 PM
As if the last Star Trek Die Hard hybrid wasn't enough -_-

Hey, you leave Assault on Dome 4 alone!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Every time Hubbs makes that comparison, it just makes me think he's never actually seen Die Hard. :P

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Which film does he mean?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

No clue, but the Die Hard comparison makes no sense.

Hubbs

Hubbs

OK...the last Trek movie was basically a generic action movie in space. Die Hard of course is the classic forerunner of everything but even so it has all the generic action movie stuff in it (looking back).

First Blood

First Blood

:D

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Hubbs on Dec 17, 2014, 07:35:30 PM
OK...the last Trek movie was basically a generic action movie in space. Die Hard of course is the classic forerunner of everything but even so it has all the generic action movie stuff in it (looking back).

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Show me where either of those movies are about a single man trapped in a location and dealing with multiple enemies.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm pretty sure Kirk isn't wearing shoes whenever he's in bed with an alien chick.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's not a great film but it's certainly not Die Hard.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed