All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,457 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

I saw Into Darkness last night.  I really, really, enjoyed Abrams' first Trek movie. It was surprisingly touching, exciting, and felt fresh. The newest film is-

Spoiler
-just as flashy but frankly it's dumb. I've never seen Chekhov's Gun (or rather, Khan's regenerative blood/cryo-missiles) flashed so obviously to the audience; it really defuses some of the tension, it sometimes seems like a cop-out and even reduces what could be dramatic moments to mere popcorn tragedy. Looking at the screenwriters, I knew never to expect anything profound or intricately clever, despite their fine work on the first movie (which is itself admittedly riddled with silly plotting or coincidences). Carol Marcus exists  in this movie purely to get her clothes off in one scene. Remove her and nothing changes. I found it utterly strange that they would need Khan's blood for Kirk when they have other super-soldier folk in cryo; it can't be that difficult to draw some blood from one of them, since they removed a guy from one of the tubes.

Saying that, it was ultimately a fun ride. I don't have a great investment in Trek lore so nothing about the changed story from Wrath of Khan bothered me, etc. The visuals and sound were top-notch. Lens flares only interrupted a couple of times, usually during close-ups (such as Uhura's close-up in the shuttle on Chronos). Cumberbatch was not only the best actor in the film (surrounded by other great actors) but he was the all-round best character.

So, it's dumb and completely unaware of it, but still manages to fulfill its promise of being engaging and fun. I think I preferred the first film overall, but the villain here was fantastic. Give Khan a movie of his own. I'd watch him kick ass.
[close]

Magegg

Magegg

Who else missed Zulu fencing from the first movie? I mean, he was so godly in the first one  :o

SpaceMarines

Magegg

Magegg

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Check the spelling of his name. ;)

Magegg

Magegg

I KNOW :)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Magegg on May 30, 2013, 10:14:32 PM

Nice idea, but that tat looks pretty low quality.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Greedo

Greedo

Can anyone get me a better pictures in side this bridge for the Bird of pray and also some info on how they control the vessel ?

would be intrtesting to know,

Seems they do it a different way to how the crew control the Enterprise.

thanks.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

There are no better pictures as far as I can remember. The only better pics of a Romulian bridge would be from the D'deridex class.

Greedo

Greedo

Managed to find one but obviously its either fan made or some concept stuff.

still see all the detail and things though.

other pics..

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Christ, that's good. Some of the comments are painful to read, too. :laugh:

Uh... Wrath of Khan spoilers in that link, by the way, in case you didn't know the story yet.

SM

SM

30 year old movies need spoiler warnings?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed