All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,538 times)

Charles Xavier

Charles Xavier

Quote from: bobby brown on May 12, 2013, 09:38:51 AM
People who dont want to be spoiled ought to stay out of this thread.

Hey, now. Let's keep our comments friendly here.

Gazz

Gazz

No they shouldn't. People should have a place to debate their expectations or other various non-spoilery aspects of the film pre release. After all, it's not out everywhere and it doesn't take much to add a couple of spoiler tags.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Quote from: Charles Xavier on May 12, 2013, 10:06:28 AM

I reckon my comment is susceptible for interpretation of rudeness.
I apologize.

Still, just saying.
People who dont want to be spoiled might want to stay out of this thread.

Charles Xavier

Charles Xavier

Quote from: bobby brown on May 12, 2013, 10:20:55 AM
Quote from: Charles Xavier on May 12, 2013, 10:06:28 AM

I reckon my comment is susceptible for interpretation of rudeness.
I apologize.

It's cool, dude. Just try not to do it again.  ;)

As for 'Star Trek: Into Darkness', that movie isn't coming out here until late August. Oh, woe is me... :-[

Shasvre

Shasvre

Charles Xavier

Charles Xavier

bobby brown

bobby brown

watching the original star trek episode of
Spoiler
space seed
[close]
now.

watch it. great stuff.

Berserker Pred

Berserker Pred

Saw it on Thursday and loved it!

Spoiler
Big Spoiler.
Spoiler
Especially loved the scene when Kirk died! The feels man.
[close]
[close]

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

I'm over in the UK (Denmark doesn't get it until June  :'(, told my other half I wanted to come over to see her, actually I wanted to see Star Trek early;))for a few weeks and just got back from seeing this today and loved though I too had a slight issue with...

Spoiler
As much as I enjoyed Cumberbatch's version of Khan I have to wonder if it was best making him Khan. Wouldn't it have been better if he was a different member of the Botany Bay crew and one of the cryo-tubes was simply marked 'Khan' as another poster suggested? If this was a typical reboot I'd say fair enough, this is still Khan but just a new version, except this is the Star Trek reboot, the whole premise of these reboots is that Nero coming back in time is responsible for the new timeline. My problem is, is that Khan was created loooong before Nero came back in time so surely Khan should still be the same ethnicity (though yes I do apprecitae that Khan original was played by a Latino actor rather than an Indian actor that the name ''Khan Noonien Singh'' would suggest). The original casting of Benicio Del Torro makes obvious sense now. Either way, I still really enjoyed Cumberbatch's performance.
I also loved the 'new' Klingons, I really hope we se more of them.
[close]

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on May 12, 2013, 06:07:01 PM
I'm over in the UK (Denmark doesn't get it until June  :'(, told my other half I wanted to come over to see her, actually I wanted to see Star Trek early;))for a few weeks and just got back from seeing this today and loved though I too had a slight issue with...

Spoiler
As much as I enjoyed Cumberbatch's version of Khan I have to wonder if it was best making him Khan. Wouldn't it have been better if he was a different member of the Botany Bay crew and one of the cryo-tubes was simply marked 'Khan' as another poster suggested? If this was a typical reboot I'd say fair enough, this is still Khan but just a new version, except this is the Star Trek reboot, the whole premise of these reboots is that Nero coming back in time is responsible for the new timeline. My problem is, is that Khan was created loooong before Nero came back in time so surely Khan should still be the same ethnicity (though yes I do apprecitae that Khan original was played by a Latino actor rather than an Indian actor that the name ''Khan Noonien Singh'' would suggest). The original casting of Benicio Del Torro makes obvious sense now. Either way, I still really enjoyed Cumberbatch's performance.
I also loved the 'new' Klingons, I really hope we se more of them.
[close]

Spoiler
I agree. As good as Cumberbatch was his character should have been a new Villian. I hate this whole "remember stuff you love well here it is again. And again. And again. And KAAAAAHHHNNN!
[close]

Hubbs

Hubbs

Spoiler
I've been reading here n there that the odd person isn't happy with the way this film feels likes a parody of Star Trek. In other words they are simply sticking in the same scenes from the original films but reversing them eg. Spock screams 'Khan!!' instead of Kirk etc...

Seeing as this universe is new and free from the original lore, why not be a bit more creative? instead of doing the same thing but flipped around...is what I've read.

Plus I've read its chock full of plot holes?
[close]

Remember your spoiler tags, kids!
- Moderator team. :)

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

You might want to put that post in spoiler tags Hubbs, not out in US for a week or 2 yet and those details aren't common knowledge.

Also pretty much yes to what you asked, still a really enjoyable movie though.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Charles Xavier on May 12, 2013, 09:09:41 AM
Okay, I just stepped into this thread recently. So please excuse me if this question's been brought up already;

Spoiler
Now I'm not a big Star Trek fan. I've watched a few of the old movies and a few of the TV shows, but all that was over a decade ago. Also mind you, I've read very little about ID to avoid spoilers. So here's my question; does anybody feel that the name Khan was slapped onto villain's name for no reason (besides maybe marketing purposes)? Now again, it's been a while since I watched the old movies, but the new Khan here seems to have hardly any resemblance to the older incarnation, besides being a baddie of course.
[close]

Spoiler
Yep. Like I said earlier, they should've just made him one of Khan's reawakened crew. I honestly feel that seeing Khan's name on one of the pods, right at the end, could have felt really ominous. This version just didn't look/behave/sound like him.

Because of that, I'd be both curious and worried about what Abrams' take on the Borg might be, but he's going to be involved in a different franchise now, so... That's inevitably for another director.
[close]

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Shasvre on May 12, 2013, 10:33:24 AM

I remember that as being one of the most awesome shots in the film. Also when they first arrive and see the Enterprise for the first time. I hope this is as entertaining as the first film and that's coming from a Star Trek noob :)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Eva on May 12, 2013, 09:21:23 PMI remember that as being one of the most awesome shots in the film. Also when they first arrive and see the Enterprise for the first time.

Those were both great. My favorite shot is when Enterprise drops out of warp outside Vulcan and finds themself in a killing field.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed