All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,583 times)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Hm. http://io9.com/5605836/china-mieville-explains-theology-magic-and-why-jj-abrams-hates-you

QuoteIo9 - We began to talk about the difference between genre fiction and literary fiction, and somehow got onto the topic of JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon. Miéville feels that Abrams' career has been all about marketing, unlike Whedon. He said:

China Miéville - I've never met [JJ Abrams]. I am not a member of his fan club or anti-fan club. I disliked Cloverfield a very great deal. I disliked Star Trek intensely. I thought it was terrible. And I think part of my problem is that I feel like the relationship between JJ Abrams' projects and geek culture is one of relatively unloving repackaging - sort of cynical. I taste contempt in the air. Now I'm not a child - I know that all big scifi projects are suffused with the contempt of big money for its own target audience. But there's something about [JJ's projects] that makes me particularly uncomfortable. As compared to somebody like Joss Whedon, who - even when there are misfires - I feel likes me and loves me and is on some cultural level my brother and comrade. And I don't feel that way about JJ Abrams.

Sounds like a load of bullshit to me. Harlan Ellison loves JJ btw :laugh:
http://screenrant.com/star-trek-2-sequel-harlan-ellison-kofi-36051/ (Maybe for 3?)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Shasvre on Dec 24, 2012, 12:28:12 PM

If Star Trek wasn't written on those covers, you'd swear they featuring another Matrix movie.

Magegg

Magegg

Yeah. This looks nothing like Star Trek. I can see old Star Trek fans hating it.

SuperM

SuperM

I remember when Trekcore.com reported on the recent trailer, the fans of that website seemed unanimous in their hatred of it. I think a lot of the older fans won't go for this one. I however liked TOS and I'm excited about this. The 9 minutes looked sweet

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I love old Trek and new Trek. I don't see them as mutually exclusive in the least.

First Blood

First Blood

Nice to see Pike back. I really liked that character.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

I loved Pike in the first one, it's nice to see he's back. :)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Dec 25, 2012, 07:32:27 PM
I love old Trek and new Trek. I don't see them as mutually exclusive in the least.

As do I, but the older generation are a picky bunch it would seem.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Fanbases. Hehe. Thankfully enough we have come to a point where they are not as influential as they used to be.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 26, 2012, 04:38:19 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Dec 25, 2012, 07:32:27 PM

As do I, but the older generation are a picky bunch it would seem.

Not liking the new direction of the films doesnt make one picky.
Trek fans for decades now have become accustomed to the movie having a slightly different feel than the TV shows but these new flicks just happen to go a bit far.  I dont think there is one Trek fan out there saying that if it's just like the TV show it's wrong.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Those first nine minutes shown with The Hobbit were incredible; can't wait for this!!!

Just so I'm clear on this: what's the big hullaboo concerning Benedict Cumberbatch? Is that he himself is playing a role in this, or just that there is a lot of speculation regarding who he is actually going to be in the film?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 27, 2012, 12:54:40 AMJust so I'm clear on this: what's the big hullaboo concerning Benedict Cumberbatch? Is that he himself is playing a role in this, or just that there is a lot of speculation regarding who he is actually going to be in the film?

Both, I think. Not being into the ST lore myself, I don't really care who he's playing. I'm just excited to see him as the villain, whoever that might be.

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

I can't see anyone disagring with the actor, What could they have against he is brilliant in anything he is in, and the new sherlock with any other actor would just be any other show.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed