All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,410 times)

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 13, 2012, 10:40:13 PM
I've been watching TOS a lot lately, and quite a few of the alien races are less humanoid than I expected. They're a lot more creative than Voyager aliens, that's for sure.

True, you'd figured they'd do that with the better technology available then. At least enterprise did it with Insect races and... manatee (?) like race.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: ScardyFox on Dec 13, 2012, 10:43:14 PM
I've been watching TOS a lot lately, and quite a few of the alien races are less humanoid than I expected. They're a lot more creative than Voyager aliens, that's for sure.

True, you'd figured they'd do that with the better technology available then. At least enterprise did it with Insect races and... manatee (?) like race.

I saw a Voyager episode where the aliens looked exactly like humans, just with jam spread on their cheeks. Yeah, tht show sucked.

I'm a little fuzzy on how humans managed to interbreed with alien races. That shouldn't be possible.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 13, 2012, 10:49:27 PM

I saw a Voyager episode where the aliens looked exactly like humans, just with jam spread on their cheeks. Yeah, tht show sucked.

I'm a little fuzzy on how humans managed to interbreed with alien races. That shouldn't be possible.

Voyager was my least favorite... the only great alien make up was the Borg make up and this amusing guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihl3ACv0FBM#

Eva

Eva

Quote from: ScardyFox on Dec 13, 2012, 10:26:30 PM
Quote from: Eva on Dec 13, 2012, 09:50:15 PM
It's a bit of a shame that aliens in the Star Trek universe, just basically look like humans with a bit of goofy make-up

This coming from a Doctor Who fan seems painfully ironic...

Quote from: Eva on Dec 13, 2012, 09:50:15 PMapplied to them, speaking perfectly English and all that. What's the point of exploring alien worlds when the aliens you encounter, are basically just like us? :D

Actually, the universal translates everything to English and English to whatever language said alien speaks. Vulcans and Klingons have an entire language people learn to speak fluently "in the real world" by fans.

The goofy and humorous tone of Doctor Who is intentional and the alien races it tries to depict, at least make an effort of looking alien, although it's clearly tv-budget territory. Trek takes itself seriously, it deals with the exploration of space by mankind. With that in mind, I find it somewhat unintentionally funny, that Vulcans (as one example) are differentiated from humans with pointy ears and those haircuts visually.

As for the language, well it sure is convenient with a 'universal translator' thingy thing. No idea how that's supposed to work though...

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Eva on Dec 13, 2012, 11:04:35 PM
The goofy and humorous tone of Doctor Who is intentional and the alien races it tries to depict, at least make an effort of looking alien, although it's clearly tv-budget territory. Trek takes itself seriously, it deals with the exploration of space by mankind. With that in mind, I find it somewhat unintentionally funny, that Vulcans (as one example) are differentiated from humans with pointy ears and those haircuts visually.

Mmm, actually those things are explained in detail and came about in some of the better episodes. Aside from that there are other very well detailed difference I wouldn't want to bore you with. Also, there are quite a few races that aren't exactly humanoid - Tholians being the best example since they're not even carbon based life forms.

Quote from: Eva on Dec 13, 2012, 11:04:35 PMAs for the language, well it sure is convenient with a 'universal translator' thingy thing. No idea how that's supposed to work though...

Certainly no more convent then the Tardus translating everything or the Doctors... card thingy thing. Or did you think everyone in that universe spoke English too? :) The Universal translator basically absorbs a few words and sorts out the language right there if its unknown. Other wise it is pre loaded with known languages.

First Blood

First Blood

Not to mention they spoke full on Klingon in the movies. The one with Christopher Lloyd comes to mind.

Eva

Eva

I'll just admit to not seeing the other films, raise shields and get the f outta here... :D

Effectz

Effectz

The Xindi they were called,.Enterprise was a good show,really dark at times.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Eva on Dec 13, 2012, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: ScardyFox on Dec 13, 2012, 10:26:30 PM
Quote from: Eva on Dec 13, 2012, 09:50:15 PM
It's a bit of a shame that aliens in the Star Trek universe, just basically look like humans with a bit of goofy make-up

This coming from a Doctor Who fan seems painfully ironic...

Quote from: Eva on Dec 13, 2012, 09:50:15 PMapplied to them, speaking perfectly English and all that. What's the point of exploring alien worlds when the aliens you encounter, are basically just like us? :D

Actually, the universal translates everything to English and English to whatever language said alien speaks. Vulcans and Klingons have an entire language people learn to speak fluently "in the real world" by fans.

As for the language, well it sure is convenient with a 'universal translator' thingy thing. No idea how that's supposed to work though...

Lol.

I'm not doubting it's goofiness at all, but it's pretty clear that it's unintentional. Because the creators of the show can't come up with anything better doesn't mean that all of the glaring flaws are derived from intellectual and purposeful choices.  :P

Quote from: ScardyFox on Dec 13, 2012, 10:56:11 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 13, 2012, 10:49:27 PM

bodily

Voyager was my least favorite... the only great alien make up was the Borg make up and this amusing guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihl3ACv0FBM#

Having humanoid aliens doesn't bother me a bit. It's not like the human race has trademarked bipedalness and other bodily systems. Modern make-up techniques should do the rest just fine.

zuzuki

zuzuki

Farscape had some of the best looking aliens in tv shows

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Babylon 5 did a really good job, too. Every single race was very unique, even the minor ones with only a single appearance.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

One thing I always admired about TOS was that some of the alien species encountered looked like plain humans (e.g. the Iotians) because the show was so low budget yet they played them off as advanced in every way to humans. It was cute.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Effectz on Dec 14, 2012, 12:15:00 AM

The Xindi they were called,.Enterprise was a good show,really dark at times.

Ah yes, instantly popped into my head when you said Xindi,. The Aquatics and Insectoids. Oh I loved Enterprise at the end. It suffered the same as all Star Trek - the first few years they were trying to find their feet and it was a crappy show. The only difference was people were kinda ST'ed out in particular from Voyager. So, even though it got really great at the end (God I wanted to see the Earth Romulan War) it was doomed.

And yeah, it was darker. First time you ever saw anyone get sucked into space from battle damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eV8qR2IEHk#

Aspie

Aspie

Given all the speculation, I must say that I am excited for this movie. Star Trek has been one of my favorite Sci-fi sagas, and J.J. Abrams took me by surprise last time. I personally won't dwell on the tiny details until I see more of the film.

Gazz

Gazz

Just back from The Hobbit and have watched the 9 minute clip of Into Darkness. I quite enjoyed it. Bar the opening 2 minutes it pretty much plays out like the end of a Star Trek episode with the crew in the midst of an adventure, trying to evade alien locals on a pre-contact planet. I was expecting something perhaps a little darker in tone after the trailer but was happy that it seems to be pushing on from the adventurous and fun tone established in the previous film. I remember noting that much like the trailer, there was a lack of intrusive lens flare effects which is much appreciated and welcomed this time around! One side note though, I am just not interested in the mystery surrounding the identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's villain. Kahn or not I just don't care, I know I'm in for a good ride anyway. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed