All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,395 times)

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Yeah, it was different but that was nice. For me, in large part of why I liked it so much was because of the war story. Not the pew pew aspect but the drama. I really enjoy good acting. The good stories (between the pew pew) and the enlargement of cultures and such.  Once the relationships grew (from the snooze fest of the first couple of years) they were really enjoyable to watch.

SM

SM

Quote from: genocyber on Sep 13, 2012, 10:03:53 AM
I didn't mind the queen. It just didn't need to be in Voyager and they could have come up with something else to diversify them.

As much as I dug First Contact, I didn't really care for the Queen.  Seemed to be at odds with the whole point of the Borg.

But then so did Locutus I guess...

Quoteearly on sure, but it really found it's feet during seasons 2 and 3, most shows start off like that, things like Buffy and Smallville both relied on "freak of the week" style episodes early on, Fringe too, in fact ones that don't, generally don't do as well, because a show you can't switch onto one random episode, and not understand what's going on, generally ostracise potential viewers, only rewarding people that have been watching unerringly since the pilot.

Shit like turns me off a lot of TV.  I like watching stuff in order, which is often pointless anyway because many shows don't have an overarching storyline anyway and then you have to wade through a lot of mediocre stuff to get to the good stuff.  And then they often cancel it without a conclusion.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: ScardyFox on Sep 13, 2012, 08:12:54 PM
Yeah, it was different but that was nice. For me, in large part of why I liked it so much was because of the war story. Not the pew pew aspect but the drama. I really enjoy good acting. The good stories (between the pew pew) and the enlargement of cultures and such.  Once the relationships grew (from the snooze fest of the first couple of years) they were really enjoyable to watch.

DS9 didn't seem to receive much attention until season 4, when Michael Dorn joined the cast. That whole inclusion seemed to serve as just that; draw in older fans who wren't jiving with the show.

SM

SM

DS9 was cool when there was honking big space battles.

And dull when there wasn't.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And appropriate you should mention that since I mentioned Worf's inclusion. The second part of the season premiere featured an incredible space battle; easily one of the best in the entire franchise. DS9 vs an entire Klingon armada. Hell, YES.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

I always thought the get better marker was when Siko shaved his head, lol. I think you should give it another watch - not like there is much better on TV right now. And there were much better battles after that one. In particular Sacrifice of Angels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtj7PauX_I#

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

That was pretty awesome, thanks. The Defiant struck me as an odd ship. It was supposed to be Starfleet's version of a warship, and yet, it never seemed to handle a beating well.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 14, 2012, 06:59:03 AM
That was pretty awesome, thanks. The Defiant struck me as an odd ship. It was supposed to be Starfleet's version of a warship, and yet, it never seemed to handle a beating well.

Oh it took its beatings well, but you must keep in mind it is a very very small ship.

Thought I would add this in for a comparison.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: ScardyFox on Sep 11, 2012, 07:51:59 AM
yeah, DS9 suffered from the "first two years kinda blow" syndrome. Then you get the build up of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cVCjutQ8b4#

All of them sucked up until Season 3. And f**k me, I love The Undiscovered Country music in that trailer. I miss having new Trek to look forward to.

I hope we get a new series soon.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: ScardyFox on Sep 14, 2012, 07:05:15 AM

Oh it took its beatings well, but you must keep in mind it is a very very small ship.

The Sovereign- and Prometheus-class vessels always, to me, seemed like the only two ST vessels that could dish out and take a lot of punishment. The latter especially was a nasty ship.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's a shame we haven't seen more of them. Imagine a small wing of Sovereigns.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I've always been under the impression that whatever ship-class the Enterprise was, it was only one of its class that existed :P

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 18, 2012, 05:54:02 PM

The Sovereign- and Prometheus-class vessels always, to me, seemed like the only two ST vessels that could dish out and take a lot of punishment. The latter especially was a nasty ship.

Not true, handsome. The Galaxy class has shown to take a hell of a lot of damage as well give out a lot of damage. It's the most efficient vessel the Federation has yet to make.

SM

SM

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 18, 2012, 07:24:54 PM
I've always been under the impression that whatever ship-class the Enterprise was, it was only one of its class that existed :P

I remember reading some unwritten rule in one of the Okuda encyclopedias that the first in a class of ships named the class.  So the first in the Sovereign class of ships (eg. Ent-E) would be the USS Sovereign.  Similarly there would've been a USS Galaxy the same as the Enterprise-D, and the B was of course, Excelsior class.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I've heard/read the same thing. Problem is, with the exception of the Excelsior, we haven't seen a U.S.S Sovereign, Galaxy, and so on.

Quote from: ScardyFox on Sep 19, 2012, 06:48:25 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 18, 2012, 05:54:02 PM

Not true, handsome. The Galaxy class has shown to take a hell of a lot of damage as well give out a lot of damage. It's the most efficient vessel the Federation has yet to make.

You're thinking of TNG episode, Yesterday's Enterprise I take it?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed