The Reviews/interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Nov 27, 2009, 04:10:45 PM

Author
The Reviews/interviews Thread (Read 326,471 times)

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Ah, yes, decapitation puns.

plagiarize

plagiarize

some people won't like it... thats a given. also any game like this is a nightmare to score when there's so many parts. i mean, if there's two brilliant campaigns and one terrible one does that make the single player 6 out of 10? different reviews will find different answers to these things.

a game without multiplayer will score more than a game with mediocre multiplayer and as good as a single player campaign by one sites review metrics, but the other way around from another.

does mediocre multiplayer add to the experience or detract from it? should a game be marked down for having no single player etc etc.

then look at AvP. three completely different campaigns. three completely different characters to get to wraps with. numerous multiplayer modes... putting a score on that was always going to be hard.

it's getting knocked for the Alien controls being hard... well yeah... they are. if you start the alien campaign before playing on line... you're going to struggle with them and probably get frustrated... but that isn't because they're broken. they're just hard. those of us who've been playing the demo won't find any issues controlling the different species.

But I can see how a reviewer that's never crawled on walls before being completely disenfranchised with the Alien campaign.

The super jump criticism... I don't know, I like that there's a clear marker telling me when I can jump. That makes a lot more sense to me than not having such a thing. Sure it's not always going to make sense, but levels always have to have boundries that can't be crossed. At least the HUD lets us know before we press the jump button.

The alternative would be what? making everything take place in canyons with giant walls? I don't know if there is an answer for that... again, I prefer having the super jump in, and in this form than the way it was in previous titles.

Shared levels is something I wanted in the game. It makes sense to me really that these three stories should be happening in the same places, and I look forwards to playing through those same levels with a different tool set, just as I enjoyed all the bonus levels in the first AvP.

It won't be perfect... it may not be a game for people who aren't fans of the franchises (or even all the people who are)... but we gamers, we only need one or two parts of the game to be awesome for it to be worth our time. I've probably played 50+ games of DM at this point... and even that mode is still fun to me on this one map.

Even if I never touch one or more of the campaigns, or one or more of the modes... I know from the demo that the game looks and plays brilliantly, even if certain parts of it may be lacking. I don't have to play every bit of it like a reviewer. I can just play the parts I love, and I know that the MP is only going to get more fun with the new modes and new maps.

Reviewers just don't think of a game that way. They can't say 'this one part of this game makes it worth buying, 9 out of 10'. People bought COD:WaW for the zombies mode and put hundreds of hours into it. People that had no interest in any COD game before or since. No interest in realistic war games.

That's the world we play games in. Reviewers... they have to disect every part of the game... it just doesn't always translate to something that reflects real world experiences.

Choirboy

Choirboy

I dont by that reviewers automatically give higher scores to AAA-titles. I always considered AvP a AAA and i play a lot of fps/tps on console. After playing the demo i agree with the controls being bad, and not just bad as in difficult to grasp but bad as in unresponsive. Comparing the marine controls to games like HALO or MW it is really hard to hit a moving target in AVP. And no, i dont suck at it. Personally I am really excited for the game but I am a huge ALIEN fan and i see why people who are not will find it mediocer.

affinity

affinity

the controls are very responsive,  people just have been too used to playing other shooters.

they would say MW2's controls are bad if they were playing this AVP for 3 years.

and remember there are control sensitivity options.

Ghost Rider LSOV

The review I'm mostly looking forward to, is from Zero Punctuation. :p

Mixed reviews are a problem, but it's expected since the other AvP games were not that old school in their time.

What I am afraid of now:
1)Not many sales and lessened support.

2) "I told you so since this is not AvP2 and even the sites agree" and I expect  really long reviews/comparisons in the fan review topic.

Drewid

Drewid

Quote from: Razz on Feb 15, 2010, 05:40:41 PM
Wow talk about a mixed bag of reviews, still getting it though. :)

I've been in the industry a very long time, I've worked on some terrible games, and classics  that people still play 15 years later, and I can honestly say I've never seen any game get such a wide range of scores.  It really is a bit odd.

Quote from: TJ Doc on Feb 15, 2010, 05:53:38 PM
Yeah. It made me eat a creme egg.  :-[

Snickers Duo here.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Gamespot licks GI's ass always. GI's review: 5.75 - GS's: 5.5
Also, the complaints are linear level design and awkward controls (which are totally fine BTW). And you're telling me that these 2 little things bring down the score to 5.5? Mmmm... yeah. Gamespot fails AGAIN and more often with each review...
They also rated Dante's Inferno 6/10, which is IMO a joke.

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Choirboy on Feb 15, 2010, 06:49:04 PM
I always considered AvP a AAA

Well it's not. God of War, Call of Duty, Halo, Mass Effect, these are AAA titles. It might be in your opinion, but in the video game industry, AVP is nowhere near anticipated as those titles and many more like them.

UltimateBadass

F**k GS, I'm still getting it!

affinity

affinity

it isn't considered a AAA anticipated title to the mainstream because AVP hasn't been around for almost 10 years.   and it was a PC only franchise

(Jaguar doesn't count since most never even heard of it.) 

I think this could still mark as the beginning of a fresh and exciting community fanbase for AVP.
ESPECIALLY since console gaming online was never as popular and important 10 years ago compared to
how it is now.

This game will really open a lot of minds and interest. 

Darkness

Darkness

I don't think you can really slate Gamespot until you've played it yourselves. Gamespot are usually spot on with their reviews. It's quite surprising. I thought it might get a 7/10 but damn... 5.5.

spychi

spychi

I guess it's all about this game being more a PC game than a console game, for the sake of everyone enjoying the game I hope I'm wrong.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Here's all the reviews so far..

Empire Magazine 4/5
Game Informer 5.75/10
Gamers.AT 81%
Seraphic Gaming 8.6/10
OXM UK 8/10
IGN UK 8.5/10
TechDigest.TV 4/5
PC Zone 82%
Bit-Tech 7/10
Polymania 3+/5
Gamereactor 6/10
Everyeye.it 7.5/10
Gamez.nl 86/100
Jeuxactu.com 7/10 (SP)
Games.Tiscali 7/10
Gram.PL 4/6
GamingXP.Com 84%
Gamespot 5.5/10
FZ.SE 2/5

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: Darkness on Feb 15, 2010, 07:18:42 PM
I don't think you can really slate Gamespot until you've played it yourselves. Gamespot are usually spot on with their reviews. It's quite surprising. I thought it might get a 7/10 but damn... 5.5.

I haven't trusted Gamespot since Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, when reviewers left to form GiantBomb because they were sick of Gamespot slighting some games due to corporate interests (after firing one for seemingly giving K&L a bad review).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed