The Reviews/interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Nov 27, 2009, 04:10:45 PM

Author
The Reviews/interviews Thread (Read 326,476 times)

Sykopathic

Sykopathic

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 03, 2010, 12:16:01 AM
Quote from: affinity on Feb 02, 2010, 02:58:32 PM
haha AVP never gotten so much marketing and attention back in 1999.

The Internet wasn't exactly as popular, back then... :)

This. In 99 I was all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv_F3nAPjsI

Drone23

Drone23

So true..

Some_Guy

Some_Guy

AVP is reason number 2 why February will kick January's ass: http://www.bravenewgamer.com/2010/02/5-reasons-why-february-will-kick-january%E2%80%99s-ass/

Corporal Hicks

PRI. HUDSON

Some_Guy

Some_Guy

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=17128

Verdict on demo, this line in particular is interesting:
QuoteOne of the biggest problems is that the demo feels unpolished. This can be excused somewhat by the disclaimer at the start of the demo that it's an old build but still, it's being put in the public eye to be judged and there's no denying it's lacking some spit and polish. We've played the full version, and it feels more solid, so it's a shame Rebellion couldn't rustle up some more recent code to entice players.

Darkness

Darkness

Game Informer Review and it's not good:

ikarop

ikarop

Mr. Ben Revees, please get laid.

Thanks for the scan Darkness!

That Yellow Alien

Eh, I've played the demo, I know it's fun. It's no God of War or ME2, but it's fun.

Big Head Ninja

The only thing I found disheartening in that review was the guy mentioning dumb AI, something I've been quite worried about for this game. Other than that, it just seems like he WANTED to hate this game. He moans about the motion tracker for god's sake. And the wall-walking?

Predator-101

Predator-101

I saw in the gameinformer magazine that the y only gave it 5.75 out of ten.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: Darkness on Feb 05, 2010, 11:06:29 PM

This is exactly what I've come to expect from Game Informer. By and large, their reviews don't really tell you anything about the game and you never get a sense that the journalists have really explored the gameplay options properly. I've noticed a trend in them giving high scores to third-person RPGs, especially MMOs, and bog-standard FPS titles. Games that tend to introduce new elements get low scores, or those elements get ignored.

They're sort of reflective of the gaming community as a whole. We don't like to be taken outside our comfort zone. And when we are, it often takes a lot of kicking and screaming before we admit to like what we've been given, like spoiled children who don't want to try chocolate mousse because all they want is goddamned ice-cream.

Thoroughly bad journalism.

InfestedGoat

InfestedGoat

My review of Ben Reeves reviewing the new AvP game

F*** game informer! This looks like a rushed review of someone who didn't know how to play the game.

He didn't like the marines, because the flashlight didnt do much and you had to kill a lot of aliens.... use your damn flares! And no way... killing hordes of aliens?! -.- THATS THE POINT!

He didn't like predator because it was too stealthy... what... I'm just going to let this speak for itself by repeating it... He didn't like predator because it was too stealthy...

He didn't like the Alien because it was a combination of the two and it had stealth (this guy should never review a splinter cell game, god damn), and i quote "and like the marine campaign, it sucks"...  Lets look back on why marines suck. "because your flashlight isnt bright and you kill too many aliens".. WHAT?
So ergo, he doesn't like the aliens because their flashlight is too dim and you kill too many hordes of aliens... oh and the alien is stealthy.

He also said that the online was stale... name another game (besides avp1 or 2) that has this variety and depth in an online game?

Off to the side he made a note saying the game wasn't gloomy it was bland... Apparently he isn't playing the same game as we are. Under it it says the melee system is poor. Why? He doesnt say, proabably because he wanted to write a quick 1 page review before anyone else did and didn't even bother to learn how to play!

Lets now talk about all the things he didn't mention that make this game great. First of all the graphics, these are amazing looking (PC is all i can talk for, if u force 16xq AA and 16x ani filtering, it looks SO GOOD) and not once does he comment on it. Or how much easier it is to wall walk in these games compared to the last. He doesn't mention any new alien skills (ie seeing thru walls, super fast, etc), new predator skills (focus jump, trophy kills, different disc and spear, etc), and how atmospheric and horrifying it is to even play a marine in DM on the f***ing demo! This guy is awful at his job. Im not just mad because he gave my GOTY a low score. But he didnt say why, and he didn't even review the game... at all!

ok i'm done...

tl;dr... just read it!

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 05, 2010, 11:43:09 PM
Quote from: Darkness on Feb 05, 2010, 11:06:29 PM

This is exactly what I've come to expect from Game Informer. By and large, their reviews don't really tell you anything about the game and you never get a sense that the journalists have really explored the gameplay options properly. I've noticed a trend in them giving high scores to third-person RPGs, especially MMOs, and bog-standard FPS titles. Games that tend to introduce new elements get low scores, or those elements get ignored.

They're sort of reflective of the gaming community as a whole. We don't like to be taken outside our comfort zone. And when we are, it often takes a lot of kicking and screaming before we admit to like what we've been given, like spoiled children who don't want to try chocolate mousse because all they want is goddamned ice-cream.

Thoroughly bad journalism.

/\ This.  There is no way this game deserves a 5.75 based on the positive responces to the demo and many journalist hands on previews. Guy gave this game that score before he played the game, I left him a nice comment on his gameinformer profile.

Perhaps you should too when the other reviews end up positive...

Kinda like what happened when that lady from OXM gave Dead Space a 6.5, everyone went nuts on her.

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: InfestedGoat on Feb 06, 2010, 12:03:46 AM
He didn't like predator because it was too stealthy... what... I'm just going to let this speak for itself by repeating it... He didn't like predator because it was too stealthy...

Lawl,it still amazes me how this is ANYONE's problem who complains about the Predator.

He complains about shit that's from the universe this game is based in, making his review futile.

"Live off the fumes of two dormant franchises." haha

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed