Here's Ridley

Started by Don Dorris, Oct 29, 2009, 11:35:21 AM

Author
Here's Ridley (Read 20,568 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: MadassAlex on Oct 29, 2009, 01:40:33 PM
Riddles just went, "Yeah, I can't think of a way to do this without screwing with continuity, so f**k that whole concept".

War Wager

War Wager

I'm not getting it...

He says it'll take place 30 years before 'Alien'. Whats wrong with that?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Darkfox426 on Oct 29, 2009, 02:15:58 PM
Maybe, maybe not - we are not told how much the Company knew, Ash seemed sometimes like knowing more than he admitted (even apart from the basic things he was hiding from the crew). Anyway, the more would one be interested in what the heck is the movie going to be about :) I'd really wonder, then... as if you had something with Aliens there, you need to wipe out the humans in order for it to make sense that nobody knew about the Aliens until Nostromo.

Ripley only had a partial translation, which was enough to inform her of it having probable 'warning' connotations.

At best, we can probably assume that there was some sort of mention about a dangerous, extremely hostile lifeform. Possibly even with allusions of it being 'viral' and contagious. Any creature attempting to broadcast a legitimate warning wouldn't be so counter-productive as to provide genetic schematics and the like for any interested intergalactic parties. :)

Weyland-Yutani about a 'lifeform'. They knew it was dangerous. They wanted a sample retrieved or a useful survey done.

If they knew more than that, they would have sent a dedicated team. They must have been at least equipped for containing such things, back home or had access to subcontractors who would, after all.

QuoteIndeed! I think some things should be left buried where they belong, with a few obscure hints to sort of keep them alive, but no blunt revelations.

Right. I have no problem with that, so long as it doesn't feel forced there. The strength in the entire derelict thing is its allusion to 'star gods', in a very Lovecraftian manner. It looks like a scene which played out long before humanity even came to exist - and implies intergalactic terrors well in excess of anything we have imagined. Just look at the cavern scene... It stretches on, it goes aorund the corner. You see it and you wonder, hmm... Are there just eggs, down there? What if they're just a small fraction of the horrors in that section?

It has a way of filling you with very disturbing awe, when you watch it for a second time, that way, because you're already aware of what going down there results in. It's clever, as it gives the film some very iconic rewatch value.

The trouble with a prequel is that the Alien as a pre-determined fate. We know that it won't be able to get to a populated world. We know that, at best, any ship it's on is going to be destroyed. For the same reason as the 'Alien Versus Predator' films, there won't be any epic high stakes at play. The best we can hope for is a particularly grotesque and memorable haunted house atmosphere.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

My curiousity is piqued, but the premise sounds very odd. A human focus? Yes, the original films focused on the humans survival, but the Alien was central to the story.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Something tells me the reason why they aren't doing the space jockey LV426 story is because of budget.

And if thats true, this movie is gonna suck. Watch this next Alien film be 35 mil ::)

Lord knows that if your planning on making a Aliens type of sci-fi action film your going to have to cough up between 60-80 mil and spend it well.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

0_0

Here's a fun fact: Aliens was made on an $18 million budget. Where in the living hell did you get the idea you need $60-$80 million?

Griffith

Griffith

Even if the story is intriguing or not I just hope that Ron Cobb or Syd Mead will be involved in this project their concepts of future are so tasty, and the idea of bringing the original concepts of the alien temple or the pyramid just makes my mind blow away

P.S. Pardon my english

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Sounds decent. Still would rather not have it, but I have to admit, I'm intrigued as well. I trust Ridley.

Darkfox426

Darkfox426

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 29, 2009, 02:43:28 PMRipley only had a partial translation, which was enough to inform her of it having probable 'warning' connotations.

At best, we can probably assume that there was some sort of mention about a dangerous, extremely hostile lifeform. Possibly even with allusions of it being 'viral' and contagious. Any creature attempting to broadcast a legitimate warning wouldn't be so counter-productive as to provide genetic schematics and the like for any interested intergalactic parties. :)

Weyland-Yutani about a 'lifeform'. They knew it was dangerous. They wanted a sample retrieved or a useful survey done.

If they knew more than that, they would have sent a dedicated team. They must have been at least equipped for containing such things, back home or had access to subcontractors who would, after all.
Hmm, that's true. They could have as well sent an expert team anyway (which makes it look even more like a covert operation). Anyway, then still one is confronted with the question "what then does Ridley want to happen?" I think a "hint" for the Company from somewhere would not necessarily be illogical, however, I am aware that the matter would have to be most delicate.

QuoteRight. I have no problem with that, so long as it doesn't feel forced there. The strength in the entire derelict thing is its allusion to 'star gods', in a very Lovecraftian manner. It looks like a scene which played out long before humanity even came to exist - and implies intergalactic terrors well in excess of anything we have imagined. Just look at the cavern scene... It stretches on, it goes aorund the corner. You see it and you wonder, hmm... Are there just eggs, down there? What if they're just a small fraction of the horrors in that section?
My words, my words...

QuoteThe trouble with a prequel is that the Alien as a pre-determined fate. We know that it won't be able to get to a populated world. We know that, at best, any ship it's on is going to be destroyed. For the same reason as the 'Alien Versus Predator' films, there won't be any epic high stakes at play. The best we can hope for is a particularly grotesque and memorable haunted house atmosphere.
Yes, that's what it looks like. But it still has potential, the only problem is that we must hope that the screenwriters/directors/whoever will use it. I am always afraid of movies turning out bad in the end (though thinking of it, on the other hand, if a movie turned to be really good, it would possibly nail me to the ground), however I have trust in Ridley... I think the interesting question itself is just what is going to happen there. And if they do it really well, they can even end it in some cool unpredictable way (right now, I cannot think of what would that be, but perhaps they might :) ). For the reasons you mentioned I would actually hope that they will avoid the "obvious" ends, like concluding the film with a scene which looks as if they need to autodestruct something or everything is lost. They should be more clever than that.

AlienatedPredator

AlienatedPredator

This reminds me of a question: What was the sequence of events and timeline from when WY first heard the transmission to when they got Ash "inside"? It had to have been BEFORE the Nostomo left for its mining trip, right?

eyesofthedemon

eyesofthedemon

Finally some concrete news on this,personally im getting excited about it,and from what Ridley says im glad the Space Jockeys arent going to feature,and the Human focus thing?......who the hell really thought Humans werent going to be the "focus",try selling a film to the masses that has no human dialogue,aint guna happen.

I hope its about how WY became aware of the Alien species,would give Ridley and co alot of freedom to create a great story,bring it i say.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Still not a fan of a 'prequel' but we'll see.

predalien27

predalien27

Quote from: AlienatedPredator on Oct 29, 2009, 06:19:11 PM
This reminds me of a question: What was the sequence of events and timeline from when WY first heard the transmission to when they got Ash "inside"? It had to have been BEFORE the Nostomo left for its mining trip, right?
Ha, I forghot about that.  Interesting.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 29, 2009, 04:53:52 PM
0_0

Here's a fun fact: Aliens was made on an $18 million budget. Where in the living hell did you get the idea you need $60-$80 million?

I know, but that was a long time ago, now movies cost waaaay more than they used to cost back in ummm, 1986.

If you make an epic sci-fi Aliens type of movie you gonna need about 60-80 mil atleast.

I mean look at Terminator Salvation, very sci-fi, lots of action, soldiers all good stuff. That movie had a budget of 200 mil. Look at transformers a budget of 150 mil.

Yes, yes I know that District 9 cost about 30-35 mil but the film had no big name actors and every SINGLE penny was spent magnificently well. They were rollin the dice on that movie and luckly it all turned out well.

If you gonna put Colonial Marines, space ship sets, realistic cgi aliens, explosions, fire fights, big name actors ect. You gonna need atleast 60-80 mil and spend that money well.

War Wager

War Wager

Your posts bemuse me. As Doom said, you don't need a massive budget to make a good movie. Besides, Ridley's got enough power in Hollywood now to pretty much get whatever he wants. If he wants a £35mill budget; he'll get it. If he wants a $100mill budget; he'll get it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed