AvP Three World War - New Series, 2009

Started by XenoVC, Jul 22, 2009, 09:05:36 AM

Author
AvP Three World War - New Series, 2009 (Read 130,280 times)

predxeno

predxeno

I agree with AliceApocalypse.

Spoiler
I liked the idea of Machiko having the mark as well; I wasn't very fond that she lost it at the end.  Another thing, isn't it implied that Top Knot is dead?  Machiko surmised that all the Preds on Bunda were killed.  Also, I noticed that a lot of people mentioned that this doesn't reference Hunter's Planet.  Is it possible that this occurred between War and Hunter's Planet?  Does Hunter's Planet directly reference Machiko's mark?
[close]

I really didn't like these new Aliens/Predator/AVP stories.  Actually, I lied; I kinda liked Aliens More Than Human, but the other 2 were horrible.

predxeno

QuoteA long-lost Predator clan stakes its claim for galactic dominance, intent on exterminating its rival clan, the self-same trophy hunters who have plagued Earth's history. And if the advanced technology and military precision of this new threat weren't enough, they have an even more terrifying weapon--a horde of Aliens under their malefic control. Earthmen must now side with the warriors who have relentlessly hunted them, but is the enemy of my enemy my friend or just another enemy waiting for its turn to strike?

cloverfan98

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 18, 2011, 02:57:41 AM

Spoiler
I liked the idea of Machiko having the mark as well; I wasn't very fond that she lost it at the end.  Another thing, isn't it implied that Top Knot is dead?  Machiko surmised that all the Preds on Bunda were killed.  Also, I noticed that a lot of people mentioned that this doesn't reference Hunter's Planet.  Is it possible that this occurred between War and Hunter's Planet?  Does Hunter's Planet directly reference Machiko's mark?
[close]

I really didn't like these new Aliens/Predator/AVP stories.  Actually, I lied; I kinda liked Aliens More Than Human, but the other 2 were horrible.

I really enjoyed A:M but 3WW was from the 4 issues I read, rather underwhelming. It didn't really feel like AVP, it felt more like Marines and Predators Vs. Predators.

dragonthingy

dragonthingy

Quote from: cloverfan98 on Jul 03, 2011, 07:02:02 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Jun 18, 2011, 02:57:41 AM

Spoiler
[close]

I really enjoyed A:M but 3WW was from the 4 issues I read, rather underwhelming. It didn't really feel like AVP, it felt more like Marines and Predators Vs. Predators.

There are very few things I find wrong with this book, but the things I do find wrong are really disappointing. The most glaring is the fact that the supporting characters do jack squat (why make new rednecks work for Machiko when you could have used Jess and Lara?), feeling like a twelve-issue series compressed into six. The most disappointing is that while it could have used Aliens: More Than Human and Predator: Prey to the Heavens to set-up these characters and themes, but largely ignored what they had told (most likely due to the the fact that John Arcudi wrote those books separately of Randy Stradley). I still really liked the story and art, which I know a lot of people didn't.
Spoiler
I liked how Machiko gave up her Predator mark, but I thought it could use better execution. At least the series is open-ended, meaning that future writers can tell stories about the Hunters and Killers in the future.
[close]
Still, More Than Human and Three World War are now among my favourite A/P/AvP stories ever told, and massive improvements over John Arcudi and Randy Stradley's last efforts, Aliens: Alchemy and Aliens vs Predator: War.

Thomas H.

I really loved the original AvP series, and the sequel. I'm considering buying Three World War to finish of this 'trilogy', but I've read a few comments on Amazon that make me doubt.

What are people's opinion on Three World War?

Corporal Hicks

426Buddy

Quote from: Thomas H. on May 31, 2016, 07:13:24 PM
I really loved the original AvP series, and the sequel. I'm considering buying Three World War to finish of this 'trilogy', but I've read a few comments on Amazon that make me doubt.

What are people's opinion on Three World War?

General opinion is very negative here i think, mostly due to the silly and cartoony interior art.

I'm still going to buy it eventually myself, only because, like you, i've had AvP/AvP War a long time and I would like to see the end of Machiko's story. Also the cover art is amazing so I gotta get it for that too  ;D

Thomas H.

Thanks for the comments guys, and merging my topic with the excisting one. :D

I'll consider this, even if it's just for the sake of having the trilogy complete. I never knew there were so many Alien, Predator and AvP comics, so I'm going to take my time and find out what people like and dislike. I loved the Collected Fire And Stone series, and the two AvP TPBs I have now. So, let's see what else is out there.

happypred

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 31, 2016, 07:34:22 PM

General opinion is very negative here i think, mostly due to the silly and cartoony interior art.

The art is like one step away from Saturday morning cartoon territory

Corporal Hicks

I've always disagreed with that assessment. I don't think it worked throughout the entire series but I also don't think it was a complete write off. I think that the artwork suits the action sequences down to a tee. I think they look incredible and frantic and in motion. However, when nothing is happening it lacks detail and looks terrible.

426Buddy

I'll have to reserve judgement until I finally buy it.

But when I did see a preview of the interiors, the predator did look like a Saturday morning cartoon version.

Corporal Hicks

There's a panel early on where it looks like a trace of a Kenner Predator figure. There's definitely some questionable artwork in there, no doubt about that. I truly think it really shines in the combat sequences though.

Thomas H.

Bit the bullet and just ordered it. Mostly because I just want this 'trilogy' complete. :) Looking forward to reading it though, despite some negative comments.

Corporal Hicks

You'll have to let us know what you think!

Thomas H.

I shall. :) It should arive this weekend. Easy enough to finish it in one day, but I do have a busy weekend next week.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed