Nimród Antal

Started by Darkoo, Jun 23, 2009, 05:31:23 AM

Author
Nimród Antal (Read 27,601 times)

fluxcap

fluxcap

I wouldn't write this guy off. Yet. His first big flick, Kontroll is one of my favorite movies. It starts off like Snatch in a subway system but then turns into something that has a David Lynch vibe to it. Vacancy however was a total generic hollywood thriller and I was shocked he directed it.

Antal can definitely deliver a dark and foreboding film with some great compositions if he's able to recapture the mindset he was in when he did Kontroll. Which is the film Fox was likely looking at as a reference when they added his name to this list.

Marshall may be somewhat of an "obvious choice" in this scenario, going with Antal would be along the same lines as hiring Jean-Pierre Jeunet for Alien: Resurrection.

FearPeteySodes

FearPeteySodes

Quote from: fluxcap on Jun 23, 2009, 05:19:01 PMMarshall may be somewhat of an "obvious choice" in this scenario, going with Antal would be along the same lines as hiring Jean-Pierre Jeunet for Alien: Resurrection.

Right, which is why im not exactly thrilled.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Just get all three of these guys to co-direct and everyone's happy, c'mon FOX you bastards have money, go do it!!

fluxcap

fluxcap

Quote from: Peteysodes on Jun 23, 2009, 05:20:02 PM
Quote from: fluxcap on Jun 23, 2009, 05:19:01 PMMarshall may be somewhat of an "obvious choice" in this scenario, going with Antal would be along the same lines as hiring Jean-Pierre Jeunet for Alien: Resurrection.
Right, which is why im not exactly thrilled.
Personally I think the quality of the script is more important than if Antal gets the job or not; unless he takes a turd on it and re-writes some garbage. If the script was up to par, I would be indifferent as to who directed it. Going with Antal would probably give you something more cerebral, while Marshall would deliver more of a visceral experience. Which is what I'm sure the fanbase would rather have.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Jun 23, 2009, 04:26:11 PM
Quote from: Darkness on Jun 23, 2009, 12:30:07 PM
Marshall seems to be the most obvious choice. Don't see why Fox would choose another guy.

Could be all sorts of reasons. Scheduling conflicts, can't afford Marshall, creative differences, etc.

No scheduling conflicts. He wants this project badly. Can't afford? He's no Robert Zemeckis or anything.

And maybe this Vacancy guy showed Rodriguez something we didn't see. Showed him/told him something amazing. And Fox didn't pick him. Rodriguez did. It's all in Rodriguez's hands.

Jesus.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: fluxcap on Jun 23, 2009, 05:19:01 PM
I wouldn't write this guy off. Yet. His first big flick, Kontroll is one of my favorite movies. It starts off like Snatch in a subway system but then turns into something that has a David Lynch vibe to it. Vacancy however was a total generic hollywood thriller and I was shocked he directed it.

Antal can definitely deliver a dark and foreboding film with some great compositions if he's able to recapture the mindset he was in when he did Kontroll. Which is the film Fox was likely looking at as a reference when they added his name to this list.

I had never heard of this guy until today, so as far as I'm concerned, it could go either way. I looked him up on imdb and he has decent to good reviews, so he might be able to deliver what's needed. As far as Kontroll being a reference point, that's good news because it means Fox is looking more closely at track records, considering the Brothers didn't have a feature film directing record.

mocafrost

mocafrost

Every name is less impressive.  That's what worries me.  The next name could be my next door neighbor.  Cheap a$$ Fox.  They need to do this right (director, script & cast).  They're in a slump and so is the franchise.  Doing it right could kick off a whole new series of Predator movies for us. 

SiL

SiL

Why does everyone keep saying "Boo Fox"?

Rodriguez is the one calling the shots. He's the one checking out directors, not Fox.

Antal's a good director and all, but a Predator movie? Eh.

Xhan

Xhan

Because FOX remains the final arbiter on everything, and they're not afraid to f**k shit up with complete impunity ala AvP:R and X3, etc etc etc.

SiL

SiL

Yes, but at the moment, it's Rodriguez. Fox hasn't pulled any bullshit on this project yet.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: mocafrost on Jun 23, 2009, 09:11:28 PM
Every name is less impressive.  That's what worries me.  The next name could be my next door neighbor.  Cheap a$$ Fox.  They need to do this right (director, script & cast).  They're in a slump and so is the franchise.  Doing it right could kick off a whole new series of Predator movies for us. 

Yeah, I don't like these names. I've only ever heard of Marshall.

1. Don't want this guy directing. Plus his name is dumb. That's a dense comment, I know.

2. Marshall, like Flux said, will give a more visceral film. The cerebral factor is nice, so hopefully Marshall isn't stupid and can incorporate some thought for this movie. Hopefully he's a smart man, and isn't an immature adult who loves gore splattered everywhere.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Never heard of this guy, so like marshall, i can't comment on him.

But Sil is right, all this "cheap a$$" fox comments are unnecessary. Tom Rothman himself said that Rodriguez is the "creative godfather" of this and that he( Rodriguez) is going to choose the director.

I actually trust Rodriguez on the directors choice, and whoever he's gonna pick, it will have it's reasons.

As for the gore, I'm all for it, i know Rodriguez will deliver on this level, Predators gruesome yet ingenious kills is half of it's fun.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I would rather not have a mindless gore fest, thanks very much. Yes the Predator movies are bloody, but the first film had the right amount, and IMO, the second film got a little crazy after a while.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Who the hell is talking about a mindless gore fest? Is your temper so narrow that you cant imagine a good movie with a fairly amount of kills and blood?

Predator 2's gore amount is totally fine by me, more? Nope.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

I enjoy mindless gorefests, but something like that would ultimately be counter-intuitive to what they're trying to accomplish with this reboot.

Something like the first movie, maybe a little more, but that's the limit. Story and characters first.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed