Trying to make a list of rare Aliens comics... any help?

Started by jesito, May 01, 2009, 02:13:10 PM

Author
Trying to make a list of rare Aliens comics... any help? (Read 15,317 times)

jesito

First of all, forgive my use of English language (I'm from Spain).

I'm trying to get all the Aliens comics and I think I have most of them, but I have some questions about some stories I don't know. I have the six Aliens Omnibus volumes. Which are the stories that haven't been included in the Omnibus volumes?

I think they are:

-Alien3 (1-3)
-Tribes (one-shot)
-Newt's tale (1-2)
-Alien Resurrection (1-2)
-Blacksplash (Dark Horse Comics #12-13)

I think these stories could be a good option for an "Aliens Omnibus volume 7".

To my knowledge, there's an English magazine called "Aliens Magazine" which presented many of the Dark Horse comics but also included new material (I've heard of titles like "Holy War" and many others). Could anyone please list all the stories which were included only in "Aliens Magazine"? How many issues of "Aliens Magazine" were published?

Thanks for reading

jesito

Well, after searching the web, I have at last a list of Aliens comics from the "Aliens Magazine" which are not included in the Omnibus editions. They are:

-Countdown (#9-10)
-Blacksplash (#15-16) (Also in Dark Horse Comics #12-13)
-Renegade (#18-19)
-Crusade (#13-22)
-Matrix (#23)

Then we have those comics I mentioned in the previous post which haven't been published in the Omnibus series yet:

-Alien3 (1-3)
-Tribes (one-shot)
-Newt's tale (1-2)
-Alien Resurrection (1-2)

So I guess they have enough material to complete an "Omnibus 7".

Vulhala

Quote from: jesito on May 02, 2009, 09:21:36 AM
-Alien3 (1-3)

I decided to start collecting the comics this morning, and managed to get all 3 of these for £4 including postage. Well chuffed!  ;D

Darwinsgirl

Your a kindred spirit jesito ;D

Are you including the comics that came with the Kenner Aliens Action Figures?
A couple of months back a link was posted on here where you could read the scans of them. 

Also  Alien:The Illustrated Story by Heavy Metal Books its magazine size stiff cover graphic novel

There was a comic that was included with an Alien portfolio. If memory serves me I think it was possibly a reprint from one of Dark Horse Presents or Dark Horse Comics.

And theres a WildCats/Alien Comic by Image. Its the most I've ever paid for an Alien comic...not because of Alien...but because it contained an appearance  of  "Authority". :P Which at the time was "hot" ;)

My personal comics are in storage. So I'm doing this from memory :P Otherwise I could just flip thru them.

I don't know if you'd have access to these in Spain? But these are great reference's for comics.

Overstreets Comic Book Price Guide. Also The Buyers Guide has a comic price guide/check list..another good one. What I like about the Buyer Guide one is they have each individual comic listed with a box..so you can check off what you have. (I photo copy the pages so I don't have to drag the book with me to conventions and also not mark up the book.)  ;)

My collection was almost complete...except for the UK magazine ones. Which I liked cause they sometimes had articles in them. (Lucky Brits ;) :D ) You guys in the Empire really get some cool Alien stuff ;D

Good luck with your quest :)

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Vulhala on May 02, 2009, 12:03:41 PM
I decided to start collecting the comics this morning, and managed to get all 3 of these for £4 including postage. Well chuffed!  ;D

Way to go Vul!   What's great about comics is...you not only get a story...you get art to go along with it ;D

These have the painted covers by Arthur Suydam. Who art was really hot a year or 2 ago for his "Marvel Zombies" covers. The style which he carried over into other title covers like "The Tick".

I thought it might have made his early comic cover work go up in value..but it didn't. Lucky for the Alien fans who have yet to own them.  ;)  He did another Alien title...I can't think of it? (I need to get some ginko bil...something memory herb? :D )

Do your copies have the pound price on them or the American dollar price?

Vulhala

American Dollar price. I also put a bid in on Aliens: Colonial Marines 2-7 & 9-10, which I won as a set, missing issues 1 and 8, but then I read some of the reviews on here and apparently they're not all that good  :-\

jesito

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on May 02, 2009, 02:08:51 PM
Are you including the comics that came with the Kenner Aliens Action Figures?
A couple of months back a link was posted on here where you could read the scans of them. 

You're right, those comics should also be included in a hypothetic Omnibus 7. They also should include the mini comic from the Alien3 Cards.

Also  Alien:The Illustrated Story by Heavy Metal Books its magazine size stiff cover graphic novel

I've got that comic, it was published in Spain in the 80's, but since it is not a Dark Horse Comic it couldn't be part of the Omnibus series.

There was a comic that was included with an Alien portfolio. If memory serves me I think it was possibly a reprint from one of Dark Horse Presents or Dark Horse Comics.

I've seen it several times on Ebay but I don't own it... could it be "The Theory of the Alien Propagation"? Anyone owns it?

And theres a WildCats/Alien Comic by Image. Its the most I've ever paid for an Alien comic...not because of Alien...but because it contained an appearance  of  "Authority". :P Which at the time was "hot" ;)

I also got it, but it is a crossover (like the ones with Witchblade, Darkness, Batman, Judge Dredd, Superman, Green Lantern,...) and crossovers are not included in the Omnibus Aliens series.

I don't know if you'd have access to these in Spain?

In Spain they have published many of the Aliens Comics (2 parts out of 3, more or less) and the rest of them I use to buy them through Ebay.

My collection was almost complete...except for the UK magazine ones. Which I liked cause they sometimes had articles in them. (Lucky Brits ;) :D ) You guys in the Empire really get some cool Alien stuff ;D

I'm going to start to collect the UK Magazines, at least those which include the "rare" stories (Countdown, Crusade, Matrix and Renegade).

Good luck with your quest :)

Thanks!

SiL

"Theory of Alien Propagation" was put into Aliens: Book One, the colour re-release Aliens: Outbreak, and is still part of that comic in the first Omnibus.

jesito

Quote from: SiL on May 02, 2009, 09:48:20 PM
"Theory of Alien Propagation" was put into Aliens: Book One, the colour re-release Aliens: Outbreak, and is still part of that comic in the first Omnibus.

Yes, I have that story in different editions, my question is if the minicomic included in the "Aliens portfolio" is also "The Theory of the Alien Propagation" or if it is a different one.

alienfan95610

Quote from: jesito on May 02, 2009, 10:53:15 PM
Yes, I have that story in different editions, my question is if the minicomic included in the "Aliens portfolio" is also "The Theory of the Alien Propagation" or if it is a different one.

Yes, the mini-comic is the same story.

alienfan95610

alienfan95610

Here is a complete list of all Aliens comics ever released. Hope it helps those of you looking to complete collections! Happy hunting!

A few notes up front- this list does not include any of the trade paperback reprints or omnibusses. It is a complete list of every original Aliens comic book ever published. It also does not contain the mini-comics released with the Kenner Toys. Dark Horse also ran Alien Vs. Predator stories in Dark Horse Insider from time to time, which were supposedly reprinted in one shot comic form.

This list has been triple checked for accuracy. I used a HUGE data base of information provided by Dark Horse Comics and doubled checked that info with two major comic retail chains in the US (Lone Star Comics based in Texas and A1 Comics based in California). IF there is anything else hiding out there, it's hiding pretty friggin' well! Ok...here we go.....

First up is-

Alien: The Illustrated Story (released by Heavy Metal/Futura in 1979)

Everything else from this point was released by Dark Horse Comics, either by themselves or in conjunction with another company via a crossover..... Sidenote: despite popular belief Aliens first comic book appearance is issue #1 of the first 6 issue mini-series listed below. Dark Horse Presents #24 is often cited as Aliens first appearance, but it was not published until issue #2 of the first mini-series was already on the racks.

Aliens (7/88-7/89) 6 issue mini-series
Aliens Giveaway (2/89) one shot mini-comic given to retailers with purchase of Dark Horse Insider, also available in Dark Horse Aliens portfolio package
Aliens: Book II (8/89-5/90) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens Vs. Predator (11/89-12/90) 5 issue mini-series
Aliens: Earth War (6/90-10/90) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens: Genocide (11/91-2/92) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens: Hive (2/92-5/92) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens: Cyberantics (3/92) hardcover graphic novel (tie in to Hive mini-series)
Aliens: Tribes (4/92) hardcover graphic novel
Dark Horse Presents: Aliens (4/92) one shot
Aliens: Newt's Tale (6/92-7/92) 2 issue mini-series
Alien 3 (6/92-8/92) 3 issue movie adaptation
Aliens Volume II: UK Edition (7/92-3/94) 21 issue UK reprint series
Alien 3 UK Edition (7/92-9/92) 3 issue movie adaptation
Aliens: Colonial Marines (1/93-7/94) 10 issue maxi-series
Aliens: Rogue (4/93-7/93) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens: Sacrifice (5/93) one shot
Aliens Vs. Predator: Deadliest Of The Species (7/93-8/95) 12 issue maxi-series
Aliens: Labyrinth (9/93-1/94) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens: Salvation (11/93) one shot
Aliens: Music Of The Spears (1/94-4/94) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens: Stronghold (5/94-9/94) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens: Earth Angel (8/94) one shot
Aliens: Berserker (1/95-4/95) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens Vs. Predator: Duel (3/95-4/95) 2 issue mini-series
Aliens: Mondo Pest (4/95) one shot
Aliens Vs. Predator: War (5/95-8/95) 5 issue mini-series
Superman Vs. Aliens (7/95-9/95) 3 issue mini-series
Aliens Vs. Predator: Booty (1/96) one shot
Aliens: Mondo Heat (2/96) one shot
Aliens: Lovesick (12/96) one shot
Aliens: Guide To The Aliens Universe (97) one shot mini-comic
Dark Horse Classics: Aliens Vs. Predator (2/97-7/97) 6 issue mini-series
Batman Vs. Aliens (3/97-4/97) 2 issue mini-series
Aliens: Pig (3/97) one shot
Aliens Special (6/97) one shot
Aliens: Havoc (6/97-7/97) 2 issue mini-series
Aliens: Purge (8/97) one shot
Aliens: Alchemy (9/97-12/97) 3 issue mini-series
Alien Resurrection (10/97-11/97) 2 issue movie adaptation
Aliens: Kidnapped (12/97-2/98) 3 issue mini-series
Aliens: Survival (2/98-4/98) 3 issue mini-series
Aliens: Glass Corridor (6/98) one shot
Aliens: Stalker (6/98) one shot
Aliens Vs. Predator: Eternal (6/98-9/98) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens: Wraith (7/98) one shot
Wild C.A.T.S. Vs. Aliens (7/98) one shot
Aliens: Apocalypse-The Destroying Angels (1/99-5/99) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens Vs. Predator Annual (7/99) one shot
Aliens: Xenogenesis (8/99-11/99) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens Vs. Predator: Xenogenesis (12/99-3/00) 4 issue mini-series
Aliens Vs. Predator Vs. Terminator (4/00-7/00) 4 issue mini-series
Green Lantern Vs. Aliens (9/00-12/00) 4 issue mini-series
Witchblade/Aliens/Darkness/Predator: Mindhunter (12/00-2/01) 3 issue mini-series
Witchblade/Aliens/Darkness/Predator: Overkill (12/00-3/01) 2 issue mini-series
Superman Vs. Aliens II: Godwar (5/02-12/02) 4 issue mini-series
Judge Dredd Vs. Aliens: Incubus (3/03-6/03) 4 issue mini-series
Batman Vs. Aliens II (7/03-9/03) 3 issue mini-series
Alien Vs. Predator: The Thrill Of The Hunt (10/04) one shot
Superman/Batman Vs. Aliens/Predator (1/07-5/07) 2 issue mini-series
Alien Vs. Predator Volume 2: Civilized Beasts (4/08) one shot
Aliens/Predator Free Comicbook Day Flip book (5/09) one shot giveaway promo
Aliens Day 2009 Free Comicbook Day Variant Cover (5/09) one shot variant cover giveaway promo
Aliens (5/09) New 4 issue mini-series

Aliens appearances in other comic book series-

Dark Horse Presents-

#24, #34, #35, #36, #42, #43, 5th Anniversary Special, #56, #101, #102, #117, #121,#140, #146, #147, Dark Horse Presents 1997 Annual

Dark Horse Comics-

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #11, #12, #13, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #22, #23, #24, #25

A Decade Of Dark Horse (4 issue mini-series)-

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

***** 5 stars Scorpio95628  ;D

This is great!

One of the major things I was lacking in my list was how many UK editions there were (like jesito).

Also I discovered I don't have Aliens:Cyberantics hardcover! :o

And I'm not sure if I have the 2/89 giveaway mini comic?

I do have some of the Dark Horse Insiders..these are hard to find since they were a give away news promo from Dark Horse. ;D

Retailers were also given a copy of  "Dark Horse Presents:Aliens Platinum Edition" (1992)
which reprints DHP comics (I'm assuming not included as it falls under your reprint category ;) ) as an incentive.

jesito mentioned a comic that came with the Alien3 trading cards. Are you familiar with this? Years ago I bought a complete set at a convention but I don't remember a comic being included??

thanks for posting the list ;D

Happy Alien 30th Anniversary!!

alienfan95610

I hope the list helps you DarwinsGirl!

It took me months of research to compile it, but it was well worth it. I can proudly say I own a copy of every book listed on it.

Now, on to your comments and questions.....

The Cyberantics hard cover is only a tie in to the Aliens: Hive mini-series. If you have read that series it refers to a book written by the main character. Cyberantics is that book. It is done in a childrens style kind of way, but is a very interesting read. I found a copy at Things From Another World (TFAW.com) for less than $10. It was listed under their "nick & dent" (damaged books) section, but my copy was near mint. Check it out!

As far as the 2/89 giveaway, the easy way to get that is just to buy the Aliens Portfolio as it contains a copy of that giveaway comic. TFAW.com also sells the portfolio, but since I have extra copies of the giveaway....if you ask real nice I could just send you one!

You are correct about the Dark Horse Presents: Aliens platinum edition. It's the silver covered version of the book listed in my list above (Dark Horse Presents: Aliens one shot (4/92).

I have spoken to a friend of mine who is an avid card collector and he says that NO comic came with the Alien 3 card set. He says it is likely that some retailers may have given away a Aliens comic for those that bought the trading cards as an incentive. He also says it is likely it could have been the infamous 2/89 mini- comic rearing it's head again. I would tend to believe that based on this...I worked in a large comic retail chain back in the late 80's...the 2/89 mini- comic was very easily obtained back then..in fact, our store had so many copies that we started making them bag stuffers. In any event, my friend is almost 100% positive that the comic had to be a retailer based incentive to buy the cards.

I hope everyone got their free copy of the Aliens/Predator flipbook given away by retailers this past Saturday as part of free comic book day 2009! If you weren't one of the lucky ones, check with me in a week or so...I should have extra copies and am always willing to provide them to true fans who missed it!!

Happy Xenomorph hunting!!!!!

Darwinsgirl

Thank you scorpio95628  :)

I will check out the site for the hardcover you mentioned.

I own the Alien Portfolio...(I never opened it ::) still in the shrink wrap. Also thank you for the generous offer of possibly ;) sending me one.

I may have the "ashcan" edition maybe this was the give away?? It came with Hero comic mag?

I am doing this from memory as my collection is in storage. I may have extras of Dark Horse Insider's. "If" & when they surface. I will return your generous offer and check with you if you need them.

A big round of applaud to you for offering to get copies of the Free Comic Day Flip book to members who may not be able to locate copies.   ;D ;D ;D  Thank You scorpio95628 !

alienfan95610

alienfan95610

Ok...cause I'm a nice guy and love helping other Aliens fans......here goes...

Aliens: UK Magazine Volume Two

Each issue of the magazine also contains sections called "motion tracker" and "technical readout" among several other different features that run each issue.

Issue #1
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Hive Part 1
2. Predator: Cold War Part 1

Issue #2
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Newt's Tale Part 1
2. Predator: Cold War Part 2
3. Aliens: Hive Part 2

Issue #3
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Newt's Tale Part 2
2. Predator: Cold War Part 3
3. Aliens: Hive Part 3
4. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 2 (two page black & white story, Part 1, 3 & 5 appear in the UK edition of Alien 3 movie adaptation)

Issue #4
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Hive Part 4
2. Predator: Cold War Part 4
3. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 4
4. Aliens: Newt's Tale Part 3

Issue #5
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Newt's Tale Part 4
2. Predator: Cold War Part 5
3. Aliens: Hive Part 5
4. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 6

Issue #6
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Newt's Tale Part 5
2. Predator: Cold War Part 6
3. Aliens: Hive Part 6
4. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 7

Issue #7
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Newt's Tale Part 6
2. Predator: Cold War Part 7
3. Aliens: Hive Part 7
4. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 8

Issue #8
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Newt's Tale Part 7
2. Predator: Cold War Part 8
3. Aliens: Hive Part 8
4. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 9

Issue #9
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Sacrifice Part 1 (published here first before US version)
2. Aliens: Hive Part 9
3. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 1
4. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 10
BONUS- Aliens: Countdown mini-comic Part 1 (reprints together for the first time the one page story segments from Dark Horse Insider from 1991)

Issue #10
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Sacrifice Part 2
2. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 2
3. Aliens: Countdown Part 2 (NOT a seperate mini-comic, this part is part of the actual magazine)
4. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 11
5. Predator: Rite Of Passage Part 1
6. Aliens: Tribes Part 1

Issue #11
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Sacrifice Part 3
2. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 3
3. Predator: Rite Of Passage Part 2
4. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 12
5. Aliens: Tribes Part 2

Issue #12
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Sacrifice Part 4
2. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 4
3. Aliens: Horror Show Part 1
4. Aliens: Tribes Part 3
5. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 13

Issue #13
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Crusade Part 1 (another published here first story)
2. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 5
3. Aliens: Horror Show Part 2
4. Aliens: Tribes Part 4
5. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 14

Issue #14
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Crusade Part 2
2. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 6 (mislabeled as Part 7 in magazine)
3. Aliens: Horror Show Part 3
4. Aliens: Tribes Part 5
5. Aliens Vs. Predator II Part 15

Issue #15
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Backsplash Part 1
2. Aliens: Crusade Part 3
3. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 7 (mislabeled as Part 8 in magazine)
4. Aliens: Tribes Part 6

Issue #16
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Backsplash Part 2
2. Aliens: Crusade Part 4
3. Aliens: Tribes Part 7
4. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 8 (mislabeled as Part 9 in magazine)

Issue #17
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Cargo Part 1
2. Aliens: Crusade Part 5 (mislabeled as Part 4 in magazine)
3. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 9 (mislabeled as Part 10 in magazine)
4. Aliens: Taste (single part story)
BONUS- this issue also included a Aliens postcard attached to the magazines cover

Issue #18
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Crusade Part 6
2. Aliens: Renegade Part 1
3. Aliens: Cargo Part 2
4. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 10 (mislabeled as Part 11 in magazine)

Issue #19
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Salvation Part 1
2. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 11 (mislabeled as Part 12 in magazine)
3. Aliens: Renegade Part 2
4. Aliens: Crusade Part 7

Issue #20
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 12 (mislabeled as Part 13 in magazine)
2. Aliens: Salvation Part 2
3. Aliens: Crusade Part 8 (Story unfinished)

Issue #21 (Final Issue)
Stories included-
1. Aliens: Salvation Part 3 (Story Completed)
2. Aliens: Alien Part 1 (Story unfinished)
3. Aliens: Colonial Marines Part 13 (mislabeled as Part 14 in magazine/Story unfinished)

Again- I hope this helps you guys!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed