No, never ever
Sometimes, here and there
Author
Comic Book Readers (Read 917,785 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: Shasvre on Aug 03, 2010, 09:19:21 PM
Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 19, 2010, 12:33:42 PMQuestion:
Has someone got suggests for SM comics featuring The Lizard?

It's been a while, but I found a comic that you might be interested in. :)

Spider-Man: Torment

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7724/spidermantormenthc.jpg

I have read, and own Spider-Man: Torment. Mcfarlane's Spider-Man comic book run was great IMO.

Shasvre

Shasvre

I just read Old Man Logan again. Still one of the best Marvel stories I have ever read. It's so f**king brutal and sad.

Spoiler
[close]

Those of you who haven't read it needs to check it out as soon as possible. ;)

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

I'm not even that into comics but that looks great.

Huol

Huol

I read a bit of old man logan.
Suddenly ended, is it back on again?

Dammit Lobo!

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Huol on Aug 05, 2010, 11:19:38 PMI read a bit of old man logan.
Suddenly ended, is it back on again?

It's all done I believe. There's 8 issues in total.

First Blood

First Blood

Yeah it's been collected in HC/TPB.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Have you read it? What did you think of it?

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Shasvre on Aug 05, 2010, 11:24:15 PM
Have you read it? What did you think of it?

Sadly I haven't read it yet. I am just aware that its been collected. Its by Mark Millar so I'll definitely check it out.  :)

Aeus

Aeus

Don't bother. Starts out incredibly strong, but soon becomes so weak. What was an incredibly involving look at the Wolverine character just degrades into mindless, and somewhat comical stereotypical 'wolverines a slaughtering badass!' nonsense.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Not before the last issue it doesn't. And then he have a pretty good reason to go berzerk.

Does anyone know if Millar was inspired by Unforgiven when he wrote this. Because it feels very much like that movie.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Shasvre on Aug 06, 2010, 12:04:57 AM
Not before the last issue it doesn't. And then he have a pretty good reason to go berzerk.

Ahem...rant time.

I'd say it gets weak two to three issues before the end. Millar completely drops the philosophy that he builds up over the course of the earlier issues. Why? Sure he was sick during the writing period, and Marvel f**ked up deadlines and so on, but frankly it's because I think a) he didn't know how to end it or b) he didn't have the stones to go with the logical conclusion.

Where OML shines is where it dissects the whole "I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice" element of the Wolverine character and shows us where that could lead. Logan's always been a man who's incredibly good at killing people, probably the best at it, but that's always been something he's hated himself for, that he's been ashamed of. Millar seems to understand this, wonderfully explaining Logan's pacifism through the flashback of his killing skills costing him everything.

But what does Millar do with this?

NOTHING.

He creates a man who hates his violent nature, who hates himself more than he could any villain and then just reverts him to a bunch of awesome Wolverine badass montage kill shots of Logan slicing and dicing baddies even though it contradicts the philosophy that was built prior. It's like an intelligent writer started something great, died, and then had his work finished by some moron.

Frankly, it really pissed me off. Here we have what could've been one of the most AWESOMEMEST comics ever, with a premise I never thought Millar would live up to...But wait? I'm two issues in, and he is! Three issues? Still awesome! etc, etc...But alas, it all goes downhill and its never sat well with me. As you can probably tell.

/rant

On another note, this is a sweet way to clue yourself up for Shadowland: http://www.theothermurdockpapers.com/2010/06/enterin-shadowland/

Huol

Huol

Quote from: Aeus on Aug 08, 2010, 01:31:16 AM

On another note, this is a sweet way to clue yourself up for Shadowland: http://www.theothermurdockpapers.com/2010/06/enterin-shadowland/

Many thanks.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Aeus on Aug 08, 2010, 01:31:16 AMAhem...rant time.

Nothing wrong with a good rant. ;)

Just curious though. How would you like to see it ended?

Aeus

Aeus

Well the last half would need an overhaul. I'd say remove the confrontations with Red Skull, Hulk and so on, they're unnecessary. Sure they bring some form of vengeance but as I said earlier, Logan hates himself more than he hates them. I'd have something that explores his pacifism more, with events that test it but don't break it. Start and end the book with pacifist Logan, and gives us more post-apocalyptic Marvel world. That thing was a pretty much a character.

I'd love to see a smart filmmaker play with this. Have one part Hugh Jackman, one part the guy who directed The Road. I'd sure as hell see it.

Quote from: Huol on Aug 08, 2010, 01:46:13 AM
Quote from: Aeus on Aug 08, 2010, 01:31:16 AM

Many thanks.

Another gem from that website that I am happy to share.

Huol

Huol

Is it bad that i am somewhat tempted to buy this?
:-X

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed