The Thing Thread

Started by Nobody, Feb 27, 2009, 12:27:02 AM

Author
The Thing Thread (Read 448,769 times)

Sso02V

Sso02V

Quote from: BobGrill on Sep 27, 2011, 10:36:58 PM
You expect them to get everything just right so that it fits the continuity it exists in don't you?
fix'd

SiL

SiL

Pretty much.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 27, 2011, 10:45:23 PM
We don't know that it melted its way out in the Carpenter movie, we just see an ice block with a vacant hole in the top.
Except that the vacant hole has melted sides.

BobGrill

BobGrill

Quote from: Sso02V on Sep 27, 2011, 10:47:20 PM
You expect them to get everything just right so that it fits the continuity it exists in don't you?
fix'd

Don't misquote me.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

That's not misquoting, it's fixing.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 27, 2011, 11:07:51 PM
That's not fixing, its misquoting

Fix'd. Misquoted.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

[Deleted]

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

Back on topic now guys.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Sep 27, 2011, 10:52:47 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 27, 2011, 10:45:23 PM
We don't know that it melted its way out in the Carpenter movie, we just see an ice block with a vacant hole in the top.
Except that the vacant hole has melted sides.
Yeah, and Mac found it after it had been unearthed and sitting in a camp that was subsequently lit on fire and blown up, so melting might be expected.

What we see of the ice block has some melting, that doesn't actually mean the Thing melted its way out.

SM

SM

QuoteAttention to detail like the Thing exploding, rather than melting, from the ice?

I appreciate the shitty quality, but it looks like it might've been carved out of the ice?  Some of the grooves look a bit too regular.  Maybe?  Been a long time since I watched the flick.

Doesn't really look like the crater that'd be left by explosion though.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: SiL on Sep 27, 2011, 10:24:14 PM
Attention to detail like the Thing exploding, rather than melting, from the ice?

You expect them to get everything just right so that it fits all your little needs don't you?

Uh, yeah. They made a pretty big deal out of how true to the original they were going to be.

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 28, 2011, 02:03:51 AM

Yeah, and Mac found it after it had been unearthed and sitting in a camp that was subsequently lit on fire and blown up, so melting might be expected.

What we see of the ice block has some melting, that doesn't actually mean the Thing melted its way out.

this ^

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I guess we'll see how it looks in the final movie. We barely see the ice block as the Thing explodes out of it. I'm confident we'll get some kind of shot of the aftermath of the ice block.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Honestly...who gives a shit... ::)

It's all of 3 seconds of the movie.

Some of you people are WAY WAY too anal about this stuff.

For all we know, the area the damn block is in was subjected to heat at some point and partially melted the ice block AFTER the creature "exploded" out of it.

Seriously...it's obvious that the Norwegian camp used fire during their encounter...so it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Seems some of you are stuck in the "it has to melt out of the block because that's what it did in the old black and white film" mode.

I'm sure a few of you are upset that the melting wasn't caused by a f**king electric blanket.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Sep 28, 2011, 08:15:22 AM
Honestly...who gives a shit... ::)
Quite a few people. What's the problem?

QuoteSeems some of you are stuck in the "it has to melt out of the block because that's what it did in the old black and white film" mode.
And the novella, and because that's what Carpenter wanted to show, being that's what happened in both the source material and original film.

Also the fact it's a stupid reason for yet another cheap half-assed jump-scare in a generation of horror movies that doesn't know how to do anything else.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Meh...still no reason to get as worked up, and writing off the movie, as some of you are doing.

Again...4 seconds of the movie... ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed