Alien Anthology Discussion

Started by AVP66, Feb 19, 2009, 04:11:42 PM

Author
Alien Anthology Discussion (Read 362,925 times)

Vulhala

Vulhala

I know right? Like having your eyes massaged with a warm moist chamois leather.

SM

SM

I think the commenter is talking out his arse about the audio quality though.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Yeah it sounds great to me but I haven't played it through a decent 5.1 set up yet so I'll reserve final judgement until then.

By the way SM, what did you make of the new extras? Was there as much as you wanted, or not enough? I still can't understand why they haven't included the Appendix stuff yet. It's obviously out there, because I have it and you most probably do too. They can hardly call it exhaustive when there's stuff, what, 10+ hours of stuff out there?

Keyes

Keyes

Quote from: SM on Jun 14, 2011, 11:27:01 PM
I think the commenter is talking out his arse about the audio quality though.

He's obviously expecting the film to sound like a modern day production. Unfortunately Alien was made at a time when the audio side of technology didn't quite match the visuals.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Vulhala on Jun 15, 2011, 07:44:28 AM
It's obviously out there, because I have it and you most probably do too.
He ... uh ... no. His copy is sitting next to my TV. :-[

SM

SM

QuoteYeah it sounds great to me but I haven't played it through a decent 5.1 set up yet so I'll reserve final judgement until then.

I have, and like the vision, it's like listening to a new movie.

QuoteBy the way SM, what did you make of the new extras? Was there as much as you wanted, or not enough? I still can't understand why they haven't included the Appendix stuff yet. It's obviously out there, because I have it and you most probably do too. They can hardly call it exhaustive when there's stuff, what, 10+ hours of stuff out there?

The new extras were predominantly the outtakes from the CDL docos, which I enjoyed and probably made up nearly 3-4 hours of new stuff.  Of course I dug the menus which validated a lot of my web work (though sadly sans any credit).

As for the 'Appendix' stuff, I've not seen it.  Of course I'd like to, but not sure whether it's worth Fox's while to officially re-master it to DVD or Blu-Ray.  Since it seems to be from a lot of dispirate sources there may be a lot of repetition.  There's already a good deal of it on the officially released stuff.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Just watched Alien on Blue-Ray and Ohh my god the picture was amazing. It's funny how you notice things you didn't before when watching it in HD. Haven't watched any of the special features yet but i'll get around to it i guess. Only thing that pisses me off is the lack of ability to pause the picture. I'm using a PS3 to watch the movies on. But on all my orher blu-ray movies pressing the X button pauses them, but on the Alien Anthology it doesn't infact it doesn't do anything when i press it.

Keyes

Keyes

Quote from: Guts on Jun 21, 2011, 02:35:10 PM
Just watched Alien on Blue-Ray and Ohh my god the picture was amazing. It's funny how you notice things you didn't before when watching it in HD. Haven't watched any of the special features yet but i'll get around to it i guess. Only thing that pisses me off is the lack of ability to pause the picture. I'm using a PS3 to watch the movies on. But on all my orher blu-ray movies pressing the X button pauses them, but on the Alien Anthology it doesn't infact it doesn't do anything when i press it.

I'm pretty sure if you press the little triangle "Start" button it will indeed pause it!

Nope

Nope

Quote from: Guts on Jun 21, 2011, 02:35:10 PM
Yea Start Button does that.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

I was looking over the description that Darkness posted of the content of Alien Anthology.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=37127.msg959898#msg959898

One thing I was hoping that would be included was the ALIEN screen saver that came with the ALIEN Legacy box set.  8)
It ran on Windows 98. :D

Is this offered on the anthology and not listed by chance?

thanks in advance!

D

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Well, mine arrived, today... Breezed through various chapters on all the films. Honestly didn't see much of an improvement on picture quality, compared to the Quadrilogy DVD set, except for 'Alien', which does seem to be in higher definition. The others looked the same.

Menus are nice. Still like the Legacy DVD ones best, though - they're more unique to each film. :)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 07, 2012, 04:03:16 PM
Well, mine arrived, today... Breezed through various chapters on all the films. Honestly didn't see much of an improvement on picture quality, compared to the Quadrilogy DVD set, except for 'Alien', which does seem to be in higher definition. The others looked the same.

Menus are nice. Still like the Legacy DVD ones best, though - they're more unique to each film. :)
I though Aliens looked amazing. The other two, well Alien 3 was okay and I haven't even removed A:R from the box, and I doubt I ever will  :P

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

I haven't played A:R either, ha.  But I'll probably get around to it before Prometheus gets released in theaters.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Really? I haven't watched any of them all the way through yet, but I've dipped in and out and there's a definite improvement to all of them. Get a new TV, bro  :laugh:

Kol

Kol

http://uk.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5007

anyway... i have a question, to all the owner of the anthology: in the booklet is a retrospective/interview with danny boyle as host, (don't know exactly on which disc 5 or 6 [and i borrowed mine to a friend]) listed.
i've got the german version and it's listed in the booklet as well, but it's NOT on the disk.
so i think: wtf?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed