Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 289,138 times)

DoomRulz

Lol! In some old news, Brian Switek posted this on his Facebook recently. It's worth a read.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/07/16/time-to-slay-the-t-rex-scavenger-debate/

DoomRulz

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

MrSpaceJockey

Dope video.  It's crazy how much people can still uncover from the same 500 million year old rocks over a couple of decades.

Immortan Jonesy

Possible Tyrannosaurus in Japan:

Quote"The findings show there was an ecosystem led by tyrannosaurs in Nagasaki, which was connected to the Asian continent by land at that time," says Kazunori Miyata, the museum's chief researcher. While the teeth were found in the same place, it's not known if they both belonged to one creature, and the specific species hasn't yet been determined. The largest tooth is 8.2cm (3.2in) long, and while the second is damaged, it could have been even bigger when attached to the dinosaur, the museum says.

Tyrannosaurs existed in Asia and North America during the late Cretaceous Period - between 66 million years and 83 million years ago. There were numerous species of varying sizes within the tyrannosaur family, from the huge T. rex, to the more recently discovered "Pinocchio rex".

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-33522144

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Anyone else a fan of Dunkleosteus? It's one of my favorite animals from the pre-Trassic era. The thing is big and scary looking. Not to mention it's mouth is scary and badass looking.

DoomRulz

Dunkleosteus is one scary mutha. It's easy to see why it died out. Something that big and heavy wouldn't be able to outmaneuver smaller, faster predators. It would be out-competed for food.

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jul 15, 2015, 12:09:49 AM
Possible Tyrannosaurus in Japan:

Quote"The findings show there was an ecosystem led by tyrannosaurs in Nagasaki, which was connected to the Asian continent by land at that time," says Kazunori Miyata, the museum's chief researcher. While the teeth were found in the same place, it's not known if they both belonged to one creature, and the specific species hasn't yet been determined. The largest tooth is 8.2cm (3.2in) long, and while the second is damaged, it could have been even bigger when attached to the dinosaur, the museum says.

Tyrannosaurs existed in Asia and North America during the late Cretaceous Period - between 66 million years and 83 million years ago. There were numerous species of varying sizes within the tyrannosaur family, from the huge T. rex, to the more recently discovered "Pinocchio rex".

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-33522144

This is awesome. I always thought of tyrannosaurids as a North American group of dinosaurs, with Tarbosaurus as the odd one out.

Immortan Jonesy

In addition, according to Wikipedia (which is not an entirely reliable source) tyrannosaurs existed in South America and Australia. Is that true?

Quote"Fossils of tyrannosauroids have been recovered on what are now the continents of North America, Europe, Asia, South America and Australia."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosauroidea

Although I think that this article is about Tyrannosauroidea superfamily, and not about Tyrannosauridae family.

Vertigo

There are Australian fossils just over 100 million years old that do seem to be from a small, advanced tyrannosauroid, close to Xiongguanlong and Tyrannosauridae. Timimus may be a member of the same genus (femur length just over half that of Albertosaurus, 2/3rds of Gorgosaurus).
Recently, it's also been proposed that the megaraptors are tyrannosauroids rather than allosauroids, and several of these are known from Argentina and Australia.

Aside from the megaraptors, I don't know of any tyrannosaur finds in South America. However, Antarctica served as a joining point between Australia and Patagonia at various points over the Mesozoic, apparently right up to at least 72 Ma, so there was a chance for fauna distributing between them.

As for Tyrannosauridae, China also had Zhuchengtyrannus, Alioramus and Qianzhousaurus along with Tarbosaurus. It does look like the group evolved in western North America (Laramidia), probably crossing to Asia through the Bering land bridge near the end of the Cretaceous.
No finds in Europe or eastern North America (Appalachia) yet. I don't think they ever got to the latter, more basal tyrannosauroids filled the apex predator niches there right up to 67 Ma.

DoomRulz

If there were any tyrannosaurs in South America, I would think they'd be pipsqueaks. Considering carnosaurs reigned supreme up until, what, the Campanian stage, there wouldn't have been room for larger Tyrannosaurids.

Vertigo

Yeah, pretty sure there weren't any tyrannosaurids there. Large megaraptors are found in the Late Cretaceous though, presumably moving on niches left vacant by the declined or extinct carcharodontosaurs (in the same way that piscivorous unenlagiines grew larger after the spinosaurids disappeared). But it's uncertain exactly where Megaraptora fits in the theropod tree.

DoomRulz

Fish-eating raptors? Now I've heard everything.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Austroraptor's the biggest of them, on par with Achillobator, but they're a successful family that spans most of the Late Cretaceous. Unique to South America as far as good remains go, but there's a dromaeosaur foot from Antarctica which may be attributable, and Madagascan flier Rahonavis is often considered an unenlagiine too (it probably isn't).

DoomRulz

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jul/16/zhenyuanlong-suni-biggest-ever-winged-dinosaur-discovered-china

QuoteBeautifully preserved skeleton fossil discovered of raptor two metres long with impressive plumage that lived 125m years ago in northeastern China

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

So what was that about feathered Tyrannosaurs being ridiculous?

Make them natural like this and it doesn't happen; also, I'm glad this isn't another one where the thing is ripping something to shreds.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed