Hicks's death

Started by Xenomorph, May 07, 2008, 12:58:15 AM

Author
Hicks's death (Read 21,863 times)

Xenomorph

Xenomorph

I really don't get how Hicks's died, I saw 2 facehugger eggs on board the Sulaco, not 3, so he could'nt have been facehugged.

SM

SM

Remember that safety support skewering his head.  You know when Clemens said "The corporal was impaled on the safety support"?  Not much room for confusion there.

There is strong evidence to suggest he was hugged but subsequently abandoned when Ripley presented a better option following the EEV launch.

Xenomorph

Xenomorph

I just don't get it, about the eggs, and if there was a chestburster in him that chestbursted.

SM

SM

No.  It's clear cut.  He was impaled on a safety support (irony!) when the EEV crashed.

Xenomorph

Xenomorph

Oh, ok its just that he did'nt look like he got impaled, it looked more like someone sliced his throat.

SM

SM

Not sure how you're seeing that.  The girder in his head is a bit of a giveaway.

maledoro

maledoro

Some would say Hicks was the "strong, silent" type. Under the right circumstances, he could really open up:

Xenomorph

Xenomorph

So his head was crushed by that girder, right?

stephen

stephen

Yes he was impaled.

The alien had nothing directly to do with his death.  He was not impregnated with an embryo and he was therefore not chestbursted.

HOWEVER, as SM said earlier, there is some evidence/theories that Hicks was the original target for the facehugger but the facehugger abandanded him due to his wounds to go to Ripley.

SM:

I've been thinking about that particular theory and I'm not so sure about it.  Bishop the andriod told Ripley in A3 that everything "it all goes back to the network" meaning the data from the Sulaco's computers.  As we see on the opening to A3 the scan of a facehugger on a human.  That scan would have been sent back to the network.

Now the whole time the "Rescue team" is asking supt Andrews to quarantine Ripley etc because it is implied that they know that Ripley has the embryo in her.

So it would seem to me that the facehugger never had Hicks or at least that the scan was of Ripley and not of Hicks as the theory goes.

I suppose there could have been further scans in the eev after it was ejected but not sure about the timing.

Xenomorph

Xenomorph

Oh.

SM

SM

I don't think they wanted Ripley isolated so much because they knew she'd been impregnated, but more because of what she knew of the events on LV-426.  As far as I can tell they didn't know she was carrying until they received the neuroscan from the EEV.

Though it does beg the question as to how much Bishop knew, when he was telling Ripley what happened on the ship.  Was he keeping something back or was it too "dark"?

stephen

stephen

Well I certainly think that it is strongly implied that they knew Ripley was impregnated due to the scan at the start of the film.

I tend to think that Bishop (android) had some trouble reading the data.  He WAS pretty messed up.

From the film makers point of view at the time, I think they wanted to imply that the rescue team knew Ripley was impregnated from the get go given the scan we see at the start and Bishop informing Ripley that "it all goes back to the network."

The fact that they stuffed up is just that, they stuffed up.

Now for us to come up with theories as to cover their stuff ups, then I suppose your idea that they wanted her quarantined simply because of her knowledge may hold up - they wouldn't want her blabbing away to the prisoners.

SM

SM

I think the original intention was that the Company didn't know she was carrying.  A cut scene has her and Aaron sending a message asking permission to terminate the Alien and being denied.  Though it could be argued they didn't know who was sending the message; the Chinese company dude at the end asks where Ripley is, so they seem to be well aware she's still alive (probably again from the neuroscan of the Queen).

The titles really confuse things because we see a hugger on someone - but it's neither Newt nor Ripley.

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

I think the full question is;  "Where is lieutenant Ripley, is she still alive?".  At least in the theatrical, it's been a long time since I watched any other cut of the movie.

I've always wondered about Bishop too, I always felt like he was dodging her questions when he asked to be disconnected.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: Xenomorph on May 07, 2008, 12:58:15 AM
I really don't get how Hicks's died, I saw 2 facehugger eggs on board the Sulaco, not 3, so he could'nt have been facehugged.

Do you even watch the same movies the rest of us do?

Where did you see 2 eggs?  I've only ever seen 1.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed