The Avengers (2012)

Started by MudButt, May 05, 2008, 04:53:42 AM

Author
The Avengers (2012) (Read 1,332,997 times)

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I wasn't even focused on how NYC was mostly CG.

Hubbs

Hubbs

We are forgetting about 'Prometheus', will that beat TDKR?

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Hubbs on May 07, 2012, 02:57:02 PM
We are forgetting about 'Prometheus', will that beat TDKR?
Box office? Nah.

Critically? Who knows.

Ruadh

Ruadh

Probably not. Most casual movie goers I've talked to are completely unaware of the connection to Alien. it wasn't until I explained that, that they started to consider seeing it.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Seen it just recently.

Spoiler
The one thing that could have made this film even greater for me is if the Aliens had more of a menacing screen presence.
I mean when i saw them swoop in, I never felt like the world was ever in that much trouble.
I felt hulk was the most menacing thing on screen. (hulk chasing black widow)
[close]

But yeah other than that, great film.

Ruadh

Ruadh

Spoiler
I've heard similar complaints about the aliens. i think it was just the sheer number that makes them a threat. The first wave is kinda whatever, but then the second one comes in, and I started to feel a little overwhelmed for the heroes. Six peeps against all that?! And then after Tony goes through the portal, you see that they've only gotten the tip of the iceberg.
[close]

Keg

Keg

The only thing that crossed my mind during the final battle was where the f**k was the army, air force etc? Apart from a couple of cops helping people to get to safety, The Avengers were literally the only ones fighting back. I suppose it all happens so fast that they wouldnt have time to respond and by the time they did, The Avengers had it wrapped up.

Ruadh

Ruadh

I would imagine that's the case. it kinda seemed to happen in real time.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

They were in Iraq.

dohohohohoho

Ruadh

Ruadh

Spoiler
Well one thing...and I don't know if this was truly intentional or not...but one thing they may have been trying to capture was the tone of 9/11. Which I think was successful, as far as a superhero movie goes. Definitely more so than Transformers or the like.
[close]

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

Quote from: Ruadh on May 07, 2012, 04:00:48 PM
Spoiler
Well one thing...and I don't know if this was truly intentional or not...but one thing they may have been trying to capture was the tone of 9/11. Which I think was successful, as far as a superhero movie goes. Definitely more so than Transformers or the like.
[close]

I'm sorry but please never compare an alien invasion in new york in a movie to 9/11!

Ruadh

Ruadh

Quote from: osiris. on May 07, 2012, 04:02:37 PM
Quote from: Ruadh on May 07, 2012, 04:00:48 PM
Spoiler
[close]

I'm sorry but please never compare an alien invasion in new york in a movie to 9/11!

I'm sorry too, but I believe you missed my point.

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

Theres no need for a spoiler tag!

"but one thing they may have been trying to capture was the tone of 9/11. Which I think was successful, as far as a superhero movie goes"

Whats your point?

Vulhala

Vulhala

An attack that came completely out of the blue, which the authorities were woefully unprepared for?

Ruadh

Ruadh

Quote from: osiris. on May 07, 2012, 04:04:34 PM
Theres no need for a spoiler tag!

"but one thing they may have been trying to capture was the tone of 9/11. Which I think was successful, as far as a superhero movie goes"

Whats your point?

First off, it's a superhero movie, which I acknowledged. So, yeah, I get that it's not a big ol', serious, heavy handed, 9/11 movie. But 9/11, like any horrible historical event people have experienced, is something that evokes a definite emotional reaction. So being cut off, and having this bizarre, surprise attack, without any real assistance from the military that one assumes will protect you is something a lot of people can tap into.

it's almost like a fantasy/wish fulfillment. Something horrible is happening, what if these outlandish superpowered people were able to be there.

I'm not in any way trying to take away from the severity of the actual event, but you can chill out a little about it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed