AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 689,736 times)

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: SiL on Feb 04, 2010, 08:15:12 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 04, 2010, 07:25:46 AM
Meaning? Celtic had to die?
Outside of satiating fanboys, pretty much.

Quote from: Eidotemit on Feb 04, 2010, 11:07:25 AM

Celtic should have lost that fight though. The alien deserved to win the only hand to hand fight. Really that Celtic did so well and almost won, losing to overconfidence, is remarkable.

My problem with the two pred deaths isn't the manner in which they happen, but that they happen so close together.

Celtic should lose the fight, he had to lose? The alien deserved to win?
Poor Celtic... everyone is againt him, including Paul Anderson   :-[

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

QuoteMy problem with the two pred deaths isn't the manner in which they happen, but that they happen so close together.

That's something I don't really like /get either. The whole film could have been more interesting (aside other things I didn't like :-\) if he could have lived on. This way it was like *Ok guys, we need to finish it quickly, finish the sobs already!* I think it was poor direction. Making Celtic look stupid is something I don't like but can accept. But I don't understand why didn't he die later on, so he could keep the pressure.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: 08yeyinde on Feb 04, 2010, 02:02:36 PM
QuoteMy problem with the two pred deaths isn't the manner in which they happen, but that they happen so close together.

That's something I don't really like /get either. The whole film could have been more interesting (aside other things I didn't like :-\) if he could have lived on. This way it was like *Ok guys, we need to finish it quickly, finish the sobs already!* I think it was poor direction. Making Celtic look stupid is something I don't like but can accept. But I don't understand why didn't he die later on, so he could keep the pressure.

They didn't have enough money  :-\

Quote from: SamHain on Feb 04, 2010, 01:58:50 PM

Quote from: SiL on Feb 04, 2010, 08:15:12 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 04, 2010, 07:25:46 AM
Meaning? Celtic had to die?
Outside of satiating fanboys, pretty much.

Quote from: Eidotemit on Feb 04, 2010, 11:07:25 AM

Celtic should have lost that fight though. The alien deserved to win the only hand to hand fight. Really that Celtic did so well and almost won, losing to overconfidence, is remarkable.

My problem with the two pred deaths isn't the manner in which they happen, but that they happen so close together.

Celtic should lose the fight, he had to lose? The alien deserved to win?
Poor Celtic... everyone is againt him, including Paul Anderson   :-[

When there is really only one hand to hand fight, yes. If they had more, it would be different.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

QuoteThey didn't have enough money  :-\

But..uhm.. nooo!

Thanks for the answer! :)

Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia

I think both these movies required a bigger budget to play around with.

End of the day, you have two franchies in one film, it would have made sense for 20th centuary Fox to give them the money to make them something special.

Even though I enjoyed both movies, I know they could have been sooo much more. All I'll hope for is one day we will see that.
Listening to the commentary on AVP R, the brothers constantly repeat e.g. "Urmm we wanted to do this, but couldnt cause of budget" or "urmmm we wanted this to happen but we didnt have the money"....

The brothers did their best with very little...

Like I said though, enjoyed them both, they had the Alien and Predator for christ sake! I'm just not the type to moan, we just arn't the ones trying to make a movie under a studio that likes to rape franchises.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Neither film needed a bigger budget. They just needed someone who knew how to stretch it, which is what I will credit Paul Anderson with. The Brothers, not so much.

Inglorious

Inglorious

Let's be honest. Both movies are retarded. I dig Requiem more, because I thought a couple of scenes really captured the mood of the original movies. Plus it gave us two things we wanted; plenty of Aliens fighting a Predator, and dumb humans dying in a variety of gory ways.

It could have been better; but from what I understand when the Strauss brothers were brought on, they weren't allowed to change the script by Fox. I think they have significant talent, and would love to see a 3rd film set in space with a good script.

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Quote from: Inglorious on Feb 05, 2010, 03:08:51 AM
Let's be honest. Both movies are retarded. I dig Requiem more, because I thought a couple of scenes really captured the mood of the original movies. Plus it gave us two things we wanted; plenty of Aliens fighting a Predator, and dumb humans dying in a variety of gory ways.

It could have been better; but from what I understand when the Strauss brothers were brought on, they weren't allowed to change the script by Fox. I think they have significant talent, and would love to see a 3rd film set in space with a good script.

You do know they wanted a dinosaur sized Alien, right?

Bishop2

Bishop2

Let's be honest. Both movies are retarded.

That's a matter of opinion, obviously. I'm sure there are people here who love both of them.

Quote... it gave us two things we wanted; plenty of Aliens fighting a Predator, and dumb humans dying in a variety of gory ways.

But this is what I really take exception to. Why would I want "dumb humans dying in a variety of gory ways"? Who cares about gore that much, and more importantly, why would I want the humans to be dumb? Why not make them likable and sympathetic? I'm not just going to root for the monster - if you make a GOOD movie, then you care about the human protagonists.

QuoteIt could have been better; but from what I understand when the Strauss brothers were brought on, they weren't allowed to change the script by Fox.

They did change it somewhat, but not in any REALLY SIGNIFICANT way. I mean, we know they insisted on doing the skinning scene.

Inglorious

Inglorious

Keep in mind I'm not saying they're on par with Ingmar Bergman or anything. That idea could be so retarded that it's awesome. If you think about it, is it any worse than the 50 foot Alien Queen at the end of AVP? It may be kinda' cool to see a T-rex Alien Hybrid.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: Inglorious on Feb 05, 2010, 03:19:39 AM
If you think about it, is it any worse than the 50 foot Alien Queen at the end of AVP?

If the queen stood fully upright in Aliens, she's not much shorter at all.

Inglorious

Inglorious

Quote from: Bishop2 on Feb 05, 2010, 03:17:27 AM

But this is what I really take exception to. Why would I want "dumb humans dying in a variety of gory ways"? Who cares about gore that much, and more importantly, why would I want the humans to be dumb? Why not make them likable and sympathetic? I'm not just going to root for the monster - if you make a GOOD movie, then you care about the human protagonists.

I understand. But in the case of an AVP movie with unlikable stock characters, I'm saying at least we get to see them die in satisfying ways. Unlike the first AVP which also had unlikeable stock characters. Not trying to be a smart ass, but I thought we were supposed to root for Wolf in that movie?

SM

SM

QuoteIf the queen stood fully upright in Aliens, she's not much shorter at all.

The Aliens Queen is described as being 14 feet tall - which I believe is in the normal leaning forward stance.  Even if she stood up right, it's a long way off 50 feet.

QuoteThey did change it somewhat, but not in any REALLY SIGNIFICANT way. I mean, we know they insisted on doing the skinning scene.

Did they?  I thought the studio forced them to do that as they weren't keen on it.

They kept saying the script had changed since the negative AICN review, though it doesn't seem to have changed much.

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: Lt. Mike Harrigan on Feb 05, 2010, 03:10:41 AM

You do know they wanted a dinosaur sized Alien, right?

There was suppose to have a scene in ALIEN that showed a alien that big, the space jockey alien, and it have been showed in many comics differents kinds of aliens, thought most of them are bad ideas.
So its not like the strauses were the ones who started that

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

I'm going to go with AVP over AVPR. I for one, don't mind the PG-13 rating it got, as the creature fights were gory, but the human deaths were not, and they didn't need to be. Look at the original Alien. Also I AVP had better human characters, it was closely based on the comics, and I didn't need to see in the dark to watch it. Still I can enjoy watching AVPR when I'm bored but its the worst out of all the Aliens/Predator/AVP films IMO.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed